Breakages and News tracking Debian Testing

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
MAYBL8

Re: Breakages and News tracking Debian Testing

Postby MAYBL8 » 23 Jul 2015 13:27

Since my KDE is broken in Testing for now I have switched to XFCE.
One thing I would like is my Wobbly windows back. I know most of you hate the window eye candy but that is one thing that brought me to use KDE in the first place.
I did a lot of Google searching and all I could find in references to Wobbly windows in XFCE was Compiz which no longer exists in Debian.
Can anyone point me in the direction of getting some eye candy working in XFCE similar to KDE until KDE gets fixed in Testing?
I'll learn to build packages if thats what it takes.
Thanks
Dan

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 23 Jul 2015 17:54

simply build compiz and replace xfwm with it. though it much easier said than to be done. IIRC there were some politics regarding compiz. someone suddenly claimed as the compiz upstream maintaner and declare the compiz project will be abandoned. debian reacted by removing the package from the repo. i'm not sure what happened later but compiz is still in active development. the upstream maintainer have released new compiz even after he declared the project abandoned.

anyway, IIRC the problem with compiz is that it wa designed for gtk2 and didn't work well with gtk3. there's two compiz and one of them didn't work with our current ecosystem. since ubuntu have compiz it might be a safer choice to grab their source code and simply built the package in your environtment. good luck :3

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 23 Jul 2015 20:43

I allowed a dist-upgrade to go thru without checking what it did. It updated some plasma files to version 5.
Evidently KDE 5 has partially hit testing.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 25 Jul 2015 14:10

This is what broke my Debian Testing:

Code: Select all

dcihon@solydk64 /usr/lib/lightdm-manager $ apt policy systemsettings
systemsettings:
  Installed: 4:4.11.13-2
  Candidate: 4:5.3.2-2
  Version table:
     4:5.3.2-2 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
 *** 4:4.11.13-2 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Time to hold some packages but stay in Testing.

Here is a list of what my system needs to hold back on:

kde-cli-tools
              kde-cli-tools-data
              libkf5pty-data
              libkf5pty5
              libkf5screen6
              libkf5su-bin
              libkf5su-data
              libkf5su5
              kscreen
              systemsettings
Here is the way to hold back these packages from upgrading when using dist-upgrade:

dcihon@solydk64 ~ $ sudo apt-mark hold systemsettings
systemsettings set on hold.
dcihon@solydk64 ~ $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade        
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kde-cli-tools kde-cli-tools-data libkf5pty-data libkf5pty5 libkf5screen6 libkf5su-bin libkf5su-data libkf5su5
The following packages have been kept back:
  systemsettings
The following packages will be upgraded:
  kscreen
1 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/975 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5,526 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
dcihon@solydk64 ~ $ sudo apt-mark hold kscreen
kscreen set on hold.
dcihon@solydk64 ~ $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  kscreen systemsettings
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
To allow them to be upgraded change the word "hold" to "unhold".

belze

KDE Plasma 5 in Debian Testing

Postby belze » 01 Aug 2015 16:32

As said here you can get upgrade using:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop sddm kwin-x11 <--- here you can choice to use sddm instead of lighdm or kdm or whatever
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
i'm testing in a virtualbox machine using solydx 32bit.
I don’t want to use any autoremove command.
If asked to restart kdm or lightdm or your desktop manager DO NOT DO IT. Or even better upgrade outside of X
So far the MOST severe regression is (IMHO and based on my work-flow) the missing akonadi integration with plasma calendar [see there]
-------

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 02 Aug 2015 15:36

@belze:
Thank-you for this. My system was practically unusable, but this info brought it back. I'm now running a functional SolydK with plasma5 and Frameworks5.
The only pause I had was apt-listbugs reporting bugs against plasma-nm, kfscreen6, and some others that i can't remember. Relying on my backup I ignored them and everything appears in working order.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 02 Aug 2015 17:28

Just built a 64-bit SolydK EE ISO and all I can say is GAH!

In general it appears to behave, strictly speaking, but it ignores several SolydXK specific settings, like the user name and password for the live user, the panel items and the background image (which resulted in the somewhat ghastly default KDE5 background - hence GAH!).
I'll have to figure out why it doesn't use the SolydXK settings and this time of the year is not the most suitable for that kind of investigation (not to mention the fact I do not appreciate DE developers messing things up for no apparent reason...). So I don't know when the August EE ISOs will be available.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

belze

Postby belze » 02 Aug 2015 17:30

Take a break and do not rush! I'd let plasma5 on hold for some time and than i'd work on settings and customisations
-------

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 02 Aug 2015 21:16

Maybe skip this month's iso and wait for the gcc5 transition to complete also. I can imagine that will cause some upset also.
And yes, that Plasma5 wallpaper is ghastly.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 03 Aug 2015 05:34

Yes, the gcc5 transition has messed things up as well. Several packages have gone missing from Testing because of it and I had to create another ignore list to prevent the build scripts from removing them (the old versions work fine, so no need to actually lose them from the ISO if it's just a gcc build issue). I think I will wait until things have settled down on both fronts.
Frank

Snap

Postby Snap » 03 Aug 2015 06:40

Let's cross our fingers hoping it doesn't take too long. I'm afraid it will take a long while for plasma5 and gcc5 to get their transitions completed. We should consider this as a kind of "freezing".

It seems that the transition is taking long in Gentoo which started (months) earlier than Debian. And PCLinuxOS is suspiciously quiet too. About no upgrades in weeks. Only a few occasional packages from time to time. It's seems they're doing the transition quietly and in the unstable branch. The system doesn't roll as usual.

Time to wait.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 03 Aug 2015 09:54

I'd admit that I haven't upgrade my system since I moved to sid last week but so far i got no issue with gcc. debian usually have three gcc which should give quite of space for the package maintainer to rebuild/port his/her package with new gcc. is this issue really bad in testing?

Snap

Postby Snap » 03 Aug 2015 10:56

I haven't noticed it in Testing, really. Updated two systems yesterday with no hassles. cannot talk about today yet.

Different in Sid. It's serious in that branch. dist-upgrade wanted to pull half of the systems away.

freebeekey

Postby freebeekey » 22 Aug 2015 18:18

Looks like KDE update (plasma) has temporarily broken kwin. I ignored the warning and applied the update and sure enough the plasma desktop wont load. I am going to be using my mate or LXDE till it gets fixed. :o

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 22 Aug 2015 19:09

I have the same thing going on. Solyd K tracking testing and now plasma 5 will not load. Unfortunately I do not have an alternate DE in that partition. It is going to be a job figuring out how to fix it :twisted:

freebeekey

Postby freebeekey » 22 Aug 2015 19:27

you could apt- get install an alternate DE till its fixed or see if some updated packages from unstable fix it.

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 22 Aug 2015 19:35

For the last 3 days I haven't been able to get past the splash screen, to even use a console. Until just now! I got a failsafe mode to boot to a state that I can use a terminal.
I'll try an upgrade and download xfce4 while I am at it. :?

Snap

Postby Snap » 22 Aug 2015 19:52

Folks, bad times for rolling. Re-read the posts above starting on aug 1st. Two major changes going on in Debian. KDE is one of them fully transitioning to KF5, Plasma5 and Qt5. Better freeze and give it time to complete.

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 22 Aug 2015 20:26

Yes, now is the fun part of tracking testing and/or sid. But definitely not to done on a installation that is needed for day to production.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 22 Aug 2015 21:23

This KDE5 mess is a real pain. My main problem with it is that my experience with KDE is minimal. I used it briefly, seven years ago, found I didn't like it much and switched to GNOME (which has since been thoroughly destroyed by its developers, so I went for Xfce, after trying MATE and finding it somewhat lacking).

I don't really know my way around KDE's insides yet. To be honest, from what I've been able to piece together so far, it doesn't exactly look like it's been designed with simplicity or clarity in mind, something they appear to have tried to correct somewhat with KF5/Plasma5. Unfortunately, in order to be able to make useful comparisons, I'll also have to familiarise myself with KDE4. I'm sorry to say my opinion of this desktop environment has changed considerably since I was forced to look at it in more detail and not in a positive way. I still intend to get the SolydK EE ISOs back in line, but no time frame.

There will be new SolydX EE and 32-bit Stable ISOs some time next week, though.
Frank

Return to “Testing Zone”