Breakages and News tracking Debian Testing

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
kurotsugi

Re: Breakages and News tracking Debian Testing

Postby kurotsugi » 05 Dec 2016 01:01

my bad. what I mean was blocking the kernel module.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 Dec 2016 02:03

Looks like this bug could be my problem.
I don't know how to see the segfault error when I don't or can't even get to a terminal screen.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=844605

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Dec 2016 07:37

in emergency situation you could use "forcevesa" option in grub to get graphical UI. you can also use one of the tty (press alt+ctrl+F1) there are six available tty to use (F1 to F6).

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 Dec 2016 11:52

I tried ctl-alt-f1 but it didn't work. I didn't try any of the other ones. I think if I do the force vesa it will result in mirrored screens. I will lose my dual monitors.
I haven't found any articles on it but maybe they will fix the issue in the next kernel update.
Thanks for the help. I might image the system and try the other options.
I don't see the need to update the kernel if the system is working fine without that update.
Thanks
Dan

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Dec 2016 12:42

well...they were called emergency because they only used for debugging and not usable for everything else. what about the old kernel? the old kernel might still work in these situation.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 Dec 2016 23:59

This is what I am running and it is working so far even with other updates coming in:

Code: Select all

dcihon@solydk64ee:/home$ uname -a
Linux solydk64ee 4.6.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.4-1 (2016-07-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 07 Dec 2016 11:55

Now I want to throw out another issue I am having with this new computer.
On my grub screen when I go to the advanced page and try to arrow down. It won't arrow down instead no matter what key I press it acts like I hit enter.
On this machine I do have Ubuntu Testing and Windows as selections in grub but I don't think that matters.
Also one more thing when I arrow down on the first page and go to select another choice it takes to hits of the enter key to make the selection.
Any ideas what to try?
Thanks

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Dec 2016 12:42

my knowledge if quite limited on grub but if I got that situation I'll recreate grub.cfg by using 'sudo update-grub' command and restart. if the problem still exist I'll investigate the new grub.cfg and/or reinstall all grub packages.

the way you describe the issue, I'll check these area:
1. grub config file
2. grub keyboard map
3. try another keyboard

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 07 Dec 2016 22:30

I had a problem with a USB keyboard once where it took an absolute age before the keyboard was recognised even up to the point of login where I would have to wait for 30 seconds or so before I could login. Made accessing the bios a nightmare, once logged in keyboard worked perfectly, the keyboard was a no name laptop sized keyboard, Changed the keyboard problem went away was able to access the bios with no issue.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 08 Dec 2016 02:27

Guys thanks for the suggestions. I have another keyboard here and it does the same thing.
I am going to be looking at the grub files to see if I can find something odd there.
This is a new Dell computer it might have to do with that I don't know.
I'll post back what I find out.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 08 Dec 2016 12:22

Ok guys I fixed my keyboard problem.
I searched for info on keyboard layout for grub and it lead me to try using this line in my /etc/default/grub file.
It fixed the problem. I'm not sure why I had to do this.
Either something removed it with a grub update or the grub that solydk64ee installed never had it.

GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="at_keyboard"

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 11 Dec 2016 10:00

Virtualbox was removed from testing, apparently because the security team thinks it cannot be part of a stable Stretch. It seems Oracle's policy of never providing security patches, only new versions, is a show stopper now.

I know about Debian's policy for stable releases, patching packages and never providing new versions, but for the first time I'm having serious doubts about Debian...
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 11 Dec 2016 12:09

it's bad on practical view, especially for user, but I think it's a correct decision on a political view. people should know that oracle's policy on VB is not good for open source community, and debian stopped providing VB for good reasons.

that thing aside, the discussion was started in 2015 or perhaps longer than that. the VB maintainer team should already prepared for it (the way they elaborate the issue shows that they're already prepare several scenarios). will they provide external repo (something like dmo-style) for the user?

Deleted User 580

Postby Deleted User 580 » 11 Dec 2016 13:34

deleted

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Dec 2016 14:41

kurotsugi wrote:it's bad on practical view, especially for user, but I think it's a correct decision on a political view. people should know that oracle's policy on VB is not good for open source community, and debian stopped providing VB for good reasons.
For Debian that may be so, but - correct me if I'm wrong - SolydXK wants to be just a bit more than that. What's going on now is effectively destroying the VirtualBox experience for Stretch. And yes, actively destroying, because one of the guest modules will be forced off if you keep your system up-to-date. You need the version currently in unstable and that one has issues as well (I haven't been able to get it to boot an ISO yet...).
that thing aside, the discussion was started in 2015 or perhaps longer than that. the VB maintainer team should already prepared for it (the way they elaborate the issue shows that they're already prepare several scenarios). will they provide external repo (something like dmo-style) for the user?
I wonder. So far there has been a short discussion on the backports mailing list (https://lists.debian.org/debian-backpor ... 00042.html), where the PPA idea came up (there's been discussions of starting a PPA like system for Debian - no idea whether that's going anywhere).

For now, EE ISO development is on hold. If you can't try an ISO in a VM, it's useless, as far as I'm concerned.
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Dec 2016 16:41

if I read it correctly, it's just another politic game in open source community. so far they only want to declare their intention and see how the community react. thus, the decision isn't permanent. however, the timeline isn't good. people are busy with holidays so we'd expect the progress will moves slowly. we might need to wait until the end of january or early february but not before stretch got released.

that being said, it also depends on how will they play their cards. on worst case scenario they'll want to prolong the battle and debian won't have virtualbox...well...they already anticipated it. virtualbox will comes from external repo...I hope this scenario never happened.

luckily, so far I didn't saw any sign that they'll pick this route. I hope I'm right. let's hope we'll hear some good news on january :3

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 17 Dec 2016 21:37

grizzler wrote: I wonder. So far there has been a short discussion on the backports mailing list (https://lists.debian.org/debian-backpor ... 00042.html), where the PPA idea came up (there's been discussions of starting a PPA like system for Debian - no idea whether that's going anywhere).
That would be very stupid for a distro which was always solid as a rock. I stopped using Ubuntu and later on also Mint to avoid this crap and chose SolydXK because it is only based on Debian. Had the EE version as main OS for quite some time and, apart from the start, had little problems. So it is not only meant to be used in a VM, Grizzler)
Once it was running it was great. (was great, since I skipped to Majaro a few weeks ago, wanted something else, something new).
SolydXK gave me all the programs I needed from the default repo's, no need for these external sources of evil called PPA.
When the latest Debian testing becomes the new stable and SolydXK follows, I certainly will be back and use it. Not that Manjaro is bad, not at all, but since it is totally different (based on Arch Linux) I have to get used to a lot of new and different stuff.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 19 Dec 2016 12:11

Update today gave me this:
Anything to worry about?

Setting up samba (2:4.5.2+dfsg-1) ...
Failed to preset unit: Unit file /etc/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service is masked.
/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: systemctl preset failed on samba-ad-dc.service: No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-8) ...

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 19 Dec 2016 16:41

MAYBL8 wrote:Update today gave me this:
Anything to worry about?

Setting up samba (2:4.5.2+dfsg-1) ...
Failed to preset unit: Unit file /etc/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service is masked.
/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: systemctl preset failed on samba-ad-dc.service: No such file or directory
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-8) ...
Open a terminal and type:
sudo systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc.service
Now you can update this service.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 19 Dec 2016 17:45

This has come up before. It's very unlikely you'll need this service.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=6604
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=6646
Frank

Return to “Testing Zone”