UP - 01/07/2014 [TESTING] [DONE]

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: UP - 01/07/2014 [TESTING]

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jul 2014 15:02

I've updated solydfixes on the server.

After a whole day of testing UM on SolydX64 I'm not even a bit closer to a solution.
Holding back gtk3-engines-oxygen hold, dbus, and dbus-x11 didn't make a difference: it still hangs.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jul 2014 18:00

Also letting Grizzlers script handle all in UM makes it hang.
I've been at it all day, and haven't found a solution. I'm calling it a day.

SolydXK needs you!

jdhedden

Postby jdhedden » 09 Jul 2014 20:11

jdhedden wrote:I've been upgrading my desktop from testing, but I'm actually doing the testing of the install procedure. I've not had any problems until this popped up:

Code: Select all

> softwaremanager
glibtop: Non-standard uts for running kernel:
release 3.15-3.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64=3.15.0 gives version code 200448
grizzler wrote:That's not really a problem. Just software that still expects kernel versions to be x.x.x format (they've been x.x since 3.0).
This is just one of the bug reports you can find about it on the 'net.
Sorry, but I guess I wasn't clear. The problem is that I cannot run the Software Manager at all, and the above is the only indication of why.
Jerry : SolydX / Siduction / Liquorix Kernel / Dell XPS 8700 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 09 Jul 2014 20:24

Sorry, but I guess I wasn't clear. The problem is that I cannot run the Software Manager at all, and the above is the only indication of why.
we'll need more information about this issue :3
can you give us the result of these commands?

dmesg |grep software
softwaremanager --help 

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 09 Jul 2014 21:32

Schoelje wrote:Also letting Grizzlers script handle all in UM makes it hang.
Did you let it run to the end? As you mentioned earlier, it's just the frontend that dies. The processes (apt-get, dpkg, etc.) continue to run, so the script should terminate normally eventually (it isn't halted by apt-listchanges's pager, which is what eventually blocks the processes started by the UM). You can use lxtask to check. I'll see if I can try it myself tomorrow and see how far the script gets.

In the meantime I've been trying pre-upgrading several combinations of packages to see if that made any difference (python related, gtk/gir, etc.). No dice, of course... :(
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 09 Jul 2014 21:46

in my tests here http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 507#p39440 yesterday i was convinced that
1. the changelog has nothing to do with the freezings (the first time it happens for me, Scott and Ane it's still during the package download)
2. the UM handles the changelog without issues;
3. freezing during the package download means (i believe) that the issue is not some strange incompatibility with the order the packages are upgraded.
bliss of ignorance

jdhedden

Postby jdhedden » 09 Jul 2014 22:01

Okay, I figured this out. I have been purging packages that do not appear to be needed. I purged python-apt. That was the problem. When I re-installed python-apt, then Software Manager worked.

Thus, the real issue is that python-apt needs to be added to the Software Manager package's dependencies.
Jerry : SolydX / Siduction / Liquorix Kernel / Dell XPS 8700 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 10 Jul 2014 05:18

zerozero wrote:in my tests here http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 507#p39440 yesterday i was convinced that
1. the changelog has nothing to do with the freezings (the first time it happens for me, Scott and Ane it's still during the package download)
Indeed it hasn't. The processes keep running after the GUI dies. I checked that using lxtask. However...
2. the UM handles the changelog without issues;
That's what I thought. But after the processes have been chugging along once the GUI has frozen, lxtask suddenly shows the process 'pager' and after that, no new processes are spawned. Kill pager and things continue for a while, until 'whiptail' (another pager like tool) comes up and things stop again. Kill that and things move on again, until something else blocks things again.
So whatever causes the GUI to freeze also affects the settings that determine whether these tools allow things to continue uninterrupted.
3. freezing during the package download means (i believe) that the issue is not some strange incompatibility with the order the packages are upgraded.
No, but if the problem happens to be in one of the packages that is supposed to get updated and that package gets updated before the others, that might fix things. Long shot, I know, but what else can we try?

Edit: to answer my earlier question about how far the solydfixes script gets: the entire subshell it's running in appears to fall asleep when the UM GUI dies. Nice. Not.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Jul 2014 07:00

I've been trying to find a solution for this all day yesterday.

UI hangs at a different stage of the update each time I run the upgrade. So I thought it could be a package (or packages) being updated. I should know better, because when you run a Python application, it is compiled on the run. When you upgrade Python, any running Python applications will not be affected because they are running the compiled code until it is restarted. Perhaps to many threads, or a buffer overflow, but none that I can find.

This is what I did yesterday:
  • Update UM with dependencies first
  • Install dbus packages before update
  • hold back python packages before update
  • Let Grizzler's script handle all
  • Checked number of spawned threads: always two. So, that can't be it.
  • Checked that a script can only run one at a time. It does.
  • Changing Gtk theme/window manager didn't change a thing.

SolydXK needs you!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 10 Jul 2014 09:09

Upgraded two old partitions from the terminal, A K64 installed 17 Nov 2013, and an X64 installed 25 Sept 2013. Both have had all UPS and between-UP fixes. Both were upgraded using solydfixes -kduyf.

I'll post back if I hit any walls... ;)

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 10 Jul 2014 09:36

Schoelje wrote:This is what I did yesterday:
  • Update UM with dependencies first
  • Install dbus packages before update
  • hold back python packages before update
  • Let Grizzler's script handle all
  • Checked number of spawned threads: always two. So, that can't be it.
  • Checked that a script can only run one at a time. It does.
I also did some of those, including trying the newest dbus packages (which reminds me, there's a dbus security update I need to handle today...). In addition I updated the entire python set first and then all of the gtk/gir packages. No difference, except the main run got a little further as there were less packages to process.
I'm thinking of trying to stick about half of the update in a separate run to see how that changes things. Not a real solution, of course...
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Jul 2014 20:58

I've uploaded UM version 2.3.6 to testing: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?p=39626#p39626

SolydXK needs you!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 11 Jul 2014 23:09

upgraded a somehow vanilla X-32bit (following this > http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 630#p39626)
it went very well, reboot without visible problems;
yes, the restart and shutdown option are missing after the upgrade but all comes back to normal at second boot

logs:
july-UP-X32.bz2
(48.38 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
bliss of ignorance

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 11 Jul 2014 23:27

zerozero wrote:the restart and shutdown option are missing after the upgrade but all comes back to normal at second boot
I experienced the same with the terminal up of the old and crufty X64 install.

Thusfar no problems still, with either the K or the X. Really liking the KDE. :)

Edit: BTW re-ran solydfixes to add -t. I have to say, that is one well-written script. 8-) :ugeek:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Jul 2014 13:35

UM updated: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?p=39654#p39654

SolydK BE: OK
SolydX BE: OK
SolydK BO: OK
SolydK32: OK

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Jul 2014 17:13

After the update the Qt applications' font problem is back again. That's something I was finally rid of after switching from LMDE to SolydX and I am definitely not amused to see it's back.

I'm talking about the issue visible in the images in this old posting on the Mint forum.

The only thing I can think of is that this problem was somehow fixed in the kdenext packages.
Frank

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Jul 2014 21:33

:?
Curious about some interesting solydfixes output...

SolydX64, installed 10 months ago. A few months back I Installed a couple of KDE packages, namely Gwenview and KMyMoney; they dragged in lotsa KDE stuff which I assume is the reason both DEs are detected?

# ./solydfixes -kdufymv
KDE desktop environment detected
Xfce desktop environment detected
And:

removing DMO packages ...
dpkg: error: --remove needs a valid package name but 'libtxc-dxtn0' is not: ambiguous package name 'libtxc-dxtn0' with more than one installed instance
The script fell thru and exited after the error. I puzzled over "more than one installed instance", until I realized that meant multi-arch. :D :oops: Removed both versions of the offending package, tried -m again, this time it worked.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Jul 2014 05:45

fleabus wrote:SolydX64, installed 10 months ago. A few months back I Installed a couple of KDE packages, namely Gwenview and KMyMoney; they dragged in lotsa KDE stuff which I assume is the reason both DEs are detected?
Yes. Initially, I used the 'official' method to determine which desktop the script was running in, but then I realised that wouldn't be enough if people installed both desktops. So I switched to looking for what I believed to be an essential part of the desktop: kde-runtime for KDE and xfce4-session for Xfce.

removing DMO packages ...
dpkg: error: --remove needs a valid package name but 'libtxc-dxtn0' is not: ambiguous package name 'libtxc-dxtn0' with more than one installed instance
The script fell thru and exited after the error.
Odd. I thought I'd worked around that (saw it myself with that exact same package when I was testing the script). I'll need to check that.

It looks like I'll have to restore one of my installs from a backup anyway, although I can't really hope to find out what's responsible for the Qt font regression mentioned in my previous posting. It wasn't the kdenext set. I was able to put that back easily enough.
How the **** do you find a regression in an update with 1000+ packages? I knew these quarterly packs were going to cause me trouble. The LMDE mess should have been a warning. I'm seriously considering going back to tracking Debian Testing. Might break things from time to time, but at least you can trace problems when they crop up and not up to three months later.
Frank

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Jul 2014 07:42

grizzler wrote:How the **** do you find a regression in an update with 1000+ packages?
I have my main/master partition (SolydX) at sda2, and Debian, Solyd, MX-14, antiX, and Siduction on sda5-13. Just saying that in doing this I've seen that maintaining a distro is a He** of a huge task to take on; IMO all things considered the people who choose this path are doing a marvelous job walking a rocky road. All distros have their quirks; regressions become a fact of life (even for the big ones!) and sooner or later these things seem to get ironed out.
grizzler wrote:I'm seriously considering going back to tracking Debian Testing.
You took on that security updates issue and did a champion job! :D And solydfixes is one heck of an amazing script. I dabbled with some scripting on the job, although my focus was mostly hardware. I made sure the MIS databases (VAX/Cobol geeks and Linux geeks) could share data with all the Security/Windows geeks. It didn't require anything even close to the level of solydfixes' complexity. And all the helping out you do... You really know your Linux stuff. My hat is off to my betters here. I, for one, would hate to see you go.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 07:57

fleabus wrote: I for one would hate to see you go.
So would I!

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”