UP - 01/07/2014 [TESTING] [DONE]

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
grizzler

Re: UP - 01/07/2014 [TESTING]

Postby grizzler » 14 Jul 2014 08:35

Don't worry, I would never abandon the tasks I've set myself to do and I will not leave SolydXK. I will need an install that stays closer to Debian Testing, though. I've got three unused partitions on this machine and one of those will get a copy of my main install and will then be synchronised with Debian Testing and stay there, with daily updates. So far I've been caught out by update pack systems three times (once here and twice on LMDE) and I will not have that happen to me again.

And now for something completely different.

Anyone not wanting to get bitten by this bug about (dialog) windows getting their titles doubled might want to check his window manager is set to use compositing (see the last message in that bugzilla thread). Mine wasn't.
This issue can come up with any Gnome/GTK3 item used on Xfce or KDE. Maybe add a note about this to the UP notice?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Jul 2014 08:49

grizzler wrote:I will not leave SolydXK.
That's good to hear.
grizzler wrote:might want to check his window manager is set to use compositing
For my own 2c, I've been lucky so far with XFCE. No compositing, no doubled titles... yet... :D In KDE I always leave it on, or rather leave it mostly default and only disable a couple of the effects. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Jul 2014 09:01

fleabus wrote:
grizzler wrote:might want to check his window manager is set to use compositing
I've been lucky so far with XFCE. No compositing, no doubled titles... yet... :D
Try installing something with synaptic and watch the confirmation window or open a pdf with evince and check the properties (come to think of it, I'm not sure evince is part of a standard Xfce install - my setups always acquire all sorts of 'alien' items... ;) ).
[Edit: ah yes, I see it is. It's present in the SolydX64 VM and I didn't install extra stuff there.]
Frank

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Jul 2014 09:12

grizzler wrote:open a pdf with evince and check the properties
Yes, SolydX comes with evince; I have 3.12.1.
8-) Good call, properties titlebar was doubled. Turned on compositing and it was normalized.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 10:02

grizzler wrote:Don't worry, I would never abandon the tasks I've set myself to do and I will not leave SolydXK.
Pheeew!
grizzler wrote:Maybe add a note about this to the UP notice?
Done.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 12:23

If nobody objects, I'll release the UP tomorrow morning (around 08.00 CET).

SolydXK needs you!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Jul 2014 12:40

At this point all major stuff is squashed, and anything further must be ironed out in daily use. Wisest decision to go to quarterly. Monthly UPs left zero time in between for things to "come out in the wash" as it were.

I suppose I'll sound nutty here, but I really like the feel of the systems after the July UP-down-side-grade. We are more Debian, and also more Solyd. Apps load somewhat faster in general, most especially Firefox. I always save previously opened tabs so that it opens with 6 or 7 tabs in place, making for a slow load. It now loads really quick in spite of itself. No, no stopwatch... :lol: The systems just seem snappier overall. What's left is IMO small stuff. We shall overcome. :mrgreen: ;)

Go for it. 8-)

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 14 Jul 2014 12:46

I also think this is a good time to do the release.

Question: Are the new ISOs going to be systemd or are they still sysvinit? The ToDo list seems to imply that they will be systemd.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 Jul 2014 13:25

grizzler wrote: Anyone not wanting to get bitten by this bug about (dialog) windows getting their titles doubled might want to check his window manager is set to use compositing (see the last message in that bugzilla thread). Mine wasn't.
This issue can come up with any Gnome/GTK3 item used on Xfce or KDE. Maybe add a note about this to the UP notice?
another of Gnome's brilliants ideas (client side decorations): might be useful and interesting if you are running a Gnome desktop but disruptive in all the others :evil:
with baobab it's also visible this regression
Screenshot3.png
turning compositing on solves partially the problem but the app looks alien
bliss of ignorance

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 Jul 2014 13:42

@grizzler
have you tried to tweak the qt font settings in Qt 4 Settings?
their default settings are different from the gtk settings that xfce follows and (at least here in a quick test) syncing both place's settings makes an huge difference
Screenshot4.png
at the same time i went ahead and selected a different appearance style (it defaulted to unknown)
Screenshot5.png
this step is just aesthetic :P but why not?
bliss of ignorance

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 13:50

ScottQuier wrote:IAre the new ISOs going to be systemd or are they still sysvinit? The ToDo list seems to imply that they will be systemd.
The HEs will use systemd (I'm using systemd on my development system since the last beta ISOs), and the BEs continue using sysvinit.

SolydXK needs you!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Jul 2014 15:43

zerozero wrote:have you tried to tweak the qt font settings in Qt 4 Settings?
Sorry for busting in, I must admit I never tried syncing the settings. However I can't get the QT4 Settings to save.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 14 Jul 2014 15:48

fleabus wrote:Sorry for busting in, I must admit I never tried syncing the settings. However I can't get the QT4 Settings to save.
no probs ;)
Screenshot6.png
bliss of ignorance

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Jul 2014 15:55

Yes, clicked File > Save, Save then becomes greyed out, clicked Exit, but no save except the font family. Tried logout, and reboot. Style does not save, keeps going back to Light Italic or bold Italic, likewise substitute font family stuck on Adobe Calson Pro... :)

I'll do some research on this, it's a whole 'nother issue... ;)

Edit: Playing with this some more, I am able to get the settings to stick for some fonts. It's as if QT4 Settings doesn't know about some of the fonts and their settings. And there is no way to set the hinting with the QT4 Settings GUI; It remains stuck on full. Gotta be a conf file somewhere I need to hunt down.... :?

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Jul 2014 16:14

zerozero wrote:@grizzler
have you tried to tweak the qt font settings in Qt 4 Settings?
Yup. Using that it's possible to go from an almost acceptable font (not the default one) with a ghastly GUI to an almost acceptable GUI whith a mostly ghastly font. And all manner of combinations in between. I remember spending hours trying to come up with something acceptable two years ago. I finally just set everything back to 'default' and sort of learned to live with it.
And then in November last year I installed SolydX on my new machine, saw the same horrible font, out of curiosity set the hinting to full in Xfce's Appearance window and watched the font (in the KeePassX window that happened to be open) correct itself. Amazing. Lasted just eight months...
Frank

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Jul 2014 16:24

grizzler wrote: out of curiosity set the hinting to full in Xfce's Appearance window and watched the font (in the KeePassX window that happened to be open) correct itself. Amazing.
:D :? And mine goes ghastly on any setting but 'slight'... graphics chips, monitors, drivers... Don't know. Qt 4 font settings here behave as if always stuck on 'hinting=full', which here=ghastly (ghastly=completely subjective of course). Go figure... :lol:
grizzler wrote:I remember spending hours trying to come up with something acceptable...
Every time I get involved in 'font stuff' I wind up spending a whole day messing with it. I'm going to force myself to leave it alone this time... For now, anyhow.... :lol:

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Jul 2014 17:30

You're not going to believe this, but... I fixed it.

Added a single line to my /etc/fonts/msfonts-rules.conf (no, you probably won't find that on your system - that's a separate story altogether...) forcing the default font's hintstyle to full. This was never necessary before. Just setting it in the Appearance window was enough. No idea why that changed.

Anyway, things are back to normal here... ;)
Attachments
Screen-140714-193515.png
Screen-140714-193515.png (22.16 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 18:38

...and what's that "single line"?

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Jul 2014 18:49

<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"><const>hintfull</const></edit>

but I'm not sure that means anything to anyone out of context. :lol:

The section for that font is

Code: Select all

<match target="font">
 <test name="family"><string>Tahoma</string></test>
 <edit mode="assign" name="hinting"><bool>true</bool></edit>
 <edit name="autohint"><bool>false</bool></edit>
 <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"><const>hintfull</const></edit>
</match>
Actually, looking at that whole file, I see it could do with a serious clean up. It's still mostly as it was when I found it on the 'net six or so years ago.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 18:59

As far as I know, SolydXK doesn't have that config file.
Do we really need it?

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”