Ready for Testing: solydxk-usb-creator

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
ScottQuier

Ready for Testing: solydxk-usb-creator

Postby ScottQuier » 11 Sep 2014 21:40

For all who may be interested .....

After a long and rewarding learning experience (learning python, glade, and some of how to program in a Linux environment), the solydxk-usb-creator project has passed muster with Schoelje and it's ready for beta-testing!!! :D :D

The .deb may be downloaded from --> http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev/solydxk ... 06_all.deb

The test script is attached below.

The first thing to do once you have it installed and you've started it up is to click on the "Help" button. This will provide a bit of insight into how to use the application. I'm sorry, none of the textual content of the application has been translated from the only language I know - English.

When you find issues (notice I didn't say "If you find issues ..." :) ), please write it up somewhere and submit it back to me. The very best place is in the attached file. If you can re-produce an error condition - please provide the steps takes with as much detail as possible.

And, thanks to all who test!
Attachments
solydxk-usb-creator_testing.ods
(16.59 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Snap

Re: Ready for Testing: solydxk-usb-creator

Postby Snap » 11 Sep 2014 22:34

Installed. I'll test it tomorrow. Heading to bed now.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Refugee

Postby Refugee » 12 Sep 2014 04:17

Quick and dirty feedback (Eg I executed first, read the .ods second, forgive me.)

SolydK 64 HE (2014/04) dist-upgraded to current and custom kernel (3.13.11-zen-liquorix-qjr3.1) with systemd, using 4GB generic USB (2.0)

- Installed .deb without issue but following 'details of installation' was blank, followed by gdebi segfault (hasn't happened before with other installs but may be unrelated).

- Launched (GUI looks very clean and professional)
- Read 'Help'
- Detected and mounted USB
- 'Space detected' appeared accurate throughout process
- Cleaned USB (The progress bar looks sweet)
- Loaded pre-existing .iso
- Installed Grub- Hung, had to manually kill.
- No log entries generated.
- Drive label "Solydxk" created
- Remounted USB and it appears grub was created successfully
- Relaunched Usb-Creator, mounted drive, executed and closed.
- Booted successfully to live environment :!:
- Still no related log entries in /var/log/updatemanager.log

Could you please make the help section a bit larger? It was readable but a tad cramped (I'm old and blind, so...).
Very nice work, Scott. Take a little something from petty cash for yourself. I'll play more later and might even read the testing instructions.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 12 Sep 2014 05:25

SolydX BE on a liveUSB Installed with GDebi, shows up in the menu under system. Click on it and nothing happens. Will try it on my installed version of SolydX64 soon. PS please forgive me for not using the .ods thing.

Code: Select all

solydxk@solydxk:~$ solydxk-usb-creator

(gksudo:6764): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str != NULL' failed
solydxk@solydxk:~$ sudo su
solydxk solydxk # solydxk-usb-creator
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/MultiBootISOCreator.py", line 1106, in <module>
    USBCreator()
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/MultiBootISOCreator.py", line 66, in __init__
    self.builder.add_from_file(join(self.scriptDir, self.settingsData.getValue("localfiles", "glade-file")))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/types.py", line 43, in function
    return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
gi._glib.GError: /usr/share/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/SolydXKUSBCreator.glade: required gtk+ version 3.12, current version is 3.4
solydxk solydxk # 

SolydXKUSBCreator.glade: required gtk+ version 3.12, current version is 3.4
Isn't 3.4 >3.12? Maybe use 3.40? Or is it saying older version is needed.

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Sep 2014 06:58

Total cleaned the drive. Added the bootloader and I get this error when trying to Add the solydk64_201407.iso.

Error Encountered
MultiBootISOCreator:CopyCheck - Error:E

I'll send the ods back.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 11:06

Refugee wrote: Could you please make the help section a bit larger? It was readable but a tad cramped (I'm old and blind, so...).
Very nice work, Scott. Take a little something from petty cash for yourself.
The dialog window is re-sizable. The text size - hmmm.... I'll check into that.
Scott

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 11:10

@jsalpha2

Truthfully, I'm surprised that it spun up at all on a liveUSB instance. That's kinda sweet.

As for the Gtk versioning - I have no control over that and I'm a bit confused about the numbering. But, I'm not surprised that the app failed in the BE, give the almost certainty that it's running an older version (compared to the HE) of Gtk.

I'm going to have to spin up a VM of BE and do some playing there - never even occurred to me to give it a play in BE. Thanks!
Scott

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 11:12

Snap wrote:Total cleaned the drive. Added the bootloader and I get this error when trying to Add the solydk64_201407.iso.

Error Encountered
MultiBootISOCreator:CopyCheck - Error:E

I'll send the ods back.
I'll see if I can duplicate that (unwanted) behavior. Thanks for the feedback.
Scott

stelios

Postby stelios » 12 Sep 2014 14:31

SolydK 64bit, installed using the 2014.07.15 ISO. No other operating systems are installed. The application asks for my password and then fails to launch.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/MultiBootISOCreator.py", line 1106, in <module>
    USBCreator()
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/MultiBootISOCreator.py", line 172, in __init__
    self.RefreshUSBSelector()
  File "/usr/bin/../lib/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/MultiBootISOCreator.py", line 922, in RefreshUSBSelector
    self.usbDataHandler.getUSBData(self.chkAutoMount.get_active())
  File "/usr/lib/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/USBDataList.py", line 56, in getUSBData
    info = self.udisks_info(theDevice)
  File "/usr/lib/solydxk/solydxk-usb-creator/USBDataList.py", line 92, in udisks_info
    out = subprocess.check_output(shlex.split(commandLine)).decode()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/subprocess.py", line 620, in check_output
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args, output=output)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['udisks', '--show-info', '/dev/sd']' returned non-zero exit status 1
gdebi crashed with a segfault after installation. Could be totally unrelated, but i report it just in case.

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Sep 2014 14:46

gdebi crashed with a segfault after installation. Could be totally unrelated, but i report it just in case.
Oh, I forgot it. Same here.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 15:19

@stelios
@Snap

In an attempt to isolate the application from the installation method (as I've never used gdebi), please attempt to reinstall:

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/the/solydxk-usb-creator_0.1.06_all.deb
and restart the application.

gdebi - one more thing for me to play (this evening/tomorrow/Sunday) with once I get my machine back up ...
Scott

stelios

Postby stelios » 12 Sep 2014 16:09

I purged the package and reinstalled it using dpkg. No error messages during installation this time. But it still failed to launch, producing the same error messages as before.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Sep 2014 16:10

gdebi is crashing after installing a package and has been doing that since the previous UP.
It's an upstream thing and because it does install the packages correctly, you can ignore the error message.

@stelios
Could you add the output from:

udisks --enumerate

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

stelios

Postby stelios » 12 Sep 2014 19:07

Schoelje wrote:gdebi is crashing after installing a package and has been doing that since the previous UP.
It's an upstream thing and because it does install the packages correctly, you can ignore the error message.

@stelios
Could you add the output from:

udisks --enumerate
I was at work before, using the SolydK 64bit HE installation there. So, i can't provide the output from that command right now.

But..

At home, i also have a clean SolydK 64bit HE installed, right from the latest ISO as well. The program launched just fine here. Apart from the usual gtk errors, i got nothing.

The one at work was purchased 2 months ago and i had to enable soft iommu from the kernel parameters, for SolydXK to work there. Perhaps the problem is related to that, but, again, i can't be sure or check it right now.

By the way, it has a very nice, clean and professional look. I don't have time now to test it any further, but i will tomorrow.

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 12 Sep 2014 20:25

Installed usb-creator using gdebi without problem. In SolydX 64, on metal, it is in the system menu.
The first time I ran Total Clean it completed removing just one iso; but the second time I got the same error as snap. I just cleared the error message and clicked execute again and it worked. However every time after using Total Clean, the nest attempt to install an iso the app complained that no boot loader was installed and I had to load the boot loader from the app. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour or not.
It appears that nothing is being logged though

i now have 5 iso's on an 8 gb stick and the grub menu works and all 5 iso's booted up.
Thank you for this Scott. It is really good work.
solydxk-usb-creator_testing-SolydX64.ods
(17.7 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
updatemanager.log
(3.46 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 12 Sep 2014 21:36

Second try.
Installed solydxk-usb-creator_0.1.06_all.deb, on my real hard drive install of SolydX64. Used Gdebi and did not get the "gdebi crashed with a segfault after installation" that others got. All dependencies are satisfied, installed fine. Plunged blindly ahead without reading instructions. Selected ISO: solydx64_201407.iso Start or Enter. Got message grub has not been installed, total clean has not been run. Went back and tried to run total clean. Error Encountered: Multi Boot ISO Creator: Clean Check-Error:E
Fired up Gparted and formatted the USB drive to Fat32. Ran Total clean again-worked. Checked the boot-loader tab. "Please confirm that you want to install Grub on /dev/sdd." Yes. Selected the ISO again and this time it installed fine. Rebooted, pressed F11 and away it went. (Bob's my Uncle?)
Questions:
Is/will there be a manual or instructions? It may have been right in front of me.
Is/will there a way to add persistence? At least a little, so your wallpaper and menu changes will be saved.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 22:17

@smitty -

That is intended behavior. Total clean removes all data, installs partition table, partitions, and marks /dev/sda1as bootable.

Installing the boot loader is a second and seperate step. The idea being that a user may have a good stick, just needs the boot loader installed. This is a non-destructive step that can be repeated as often as necessary without loosing data.

So, I guess I need to make the little help file a bit less little?
Scott

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 22:30

jsalpha2 wrote:Second try.
Installed solydxk-usb-creator_0.1.06_all.deb, on my real hard drive install of SolydX64. Used Gdebi and did not get the "gdebi crashed with a segfault after installation" that others got. All dependencies are satisfied, installed fine. Plunged blindly ahead without reading instructions. Selected ISO: solydx64_201407.iso Start or Enter. Got message grub has not been installed, total clean has not been run. Went back and tried to run total clean. Error Encountered: Multi Boot ISO Creator: Clean Check-Error:E

Fired up Gparted and formatted the USB drive to Fat32. Ran Total clean again-worked. Checked the boot-loader tab.
This is strange. You should not have needed to run gparted as the clean should have done the necessary. Can you provide some detail as to what you were using for a USB device and what was one it before and what partition table, and file system? Whatever I might need to duplicate the conditions.
jsalpha2 wrote: "Please confirm that you want to install Grub on /dev/sdd." Yes. Selected the ISO again and this time it installed fine. Rebooted, pressed F11 and away it went. (Bob's my Uncle?)
Questions:
Is/will there be a manual or instructions? It may have been right in front of me.
Instructions/help available right now through the "Help" button. More may come later.
jsalpha2 wrote: Is/will there a way to add persistence? At least a little, so your wallpaper and menu changes will be saved.
Not for a while at least. This is way outside the original requested scope.
Scott

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 12 Sep 2014 22:31

It's obvious I going to have to figure out how to appropriately perform logging. :) :oops:
Scott

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 Sep 2014 23:01

i made some quick tests (need to redo them to gather data > not all of them were successful :( ) but the part that i was testing most was the download|writing to stick feature and in there i saw 2 questions:
1- the app doesn't have a working directory to store the downloaded isos, they are written directly to the stick.
this is all fine&dandy :lol: but an iso is still a valuable commodity and if i overwrite the stick intentionally or by mistake i will lose the iso and have to re-download it again.
2- with the download feature there's no way to validate the md5 of the isos.

===
trivia:
solydxk-usb-creator makes an acronym of SUC :cry:
bliss of ignorance

Return to “Testing Zone”