ISO testing 201410

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
Snap

Re: ISO testing 201410

Postby Snap » 08 Oct 2014 16:08

/usr/bin is in PATH.

So, what is happening here? :o
Huh, another missing bin directory into $PATH. It seems I'm not the only one with such an issue. :roll:

Are the modified isos already uploaded, Schoelje?
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

just

Postby just » 08 Oct 2014 16:25

Snap wrote:
...Do you mean that the needed multiples of the bs value to complete the image should be < or = the physical drive size to get no errors?
if we will get both banned by moderators, don't blame me later, please :) . let's test their patience one more time, than we must stop though.

yes, i mean more or less that. bs (block size) dd parameter has absolutely no relation to if (input file) or of (output file) dd parameter. formally, bs is totaly unrelated to input or output file sizes. for dd, the input file is a simple linear sequence of single bytes, from the first to last one, not divided in any physical or logical groups (blocks). the of is a kind of container, nothing more.

dd works with block devices. those that perform read/write operations in blocks of bytes at once, not in single byte-by-byte manner. it would be too time-expensive. almost all moderm devices are still seen as a block ones (i can't name any one of another type): usb sticks, external and internal disks, tape writers (if it still exist), scanners, digital cameras, etc.

block concept is an ancient one, but it is still used. like cylinders and heads are still used to describe disks geometry. in all modern devices blocks, cylinders, heads are all emulated by hardware controllers. nevertheless, the world is still using these terms. did you ever seen cylinders or heads in ssd disks?

bs parameter is more related to of (output file) one. to avoid any space-related errors, the number of blocks, sent to of by dd, must be an exact multiple of the of device physical capacity:

NumberOfBlocks * BlockSize = OutputDeviceCapacity

what if we need to write a 1.5G input file to an output device of roughly 4G? should we calculate by hand in how many chunks (NumberOfBlocks) the input must be divided? no! dd will do it for us, based on the supplied bs parameter. note, dd knows absolutely nothing about a recepient's (of) capacity.

dd will logically divide a uniform linear sequence of input bytes into N chunks, each one of bs size, and will send all these chunks to of. those "chunks" are called "records" by dd.

say, OurInput file is 16 bytes large. we want to write it onto a 512 bytes large memory stick. we can do it in a number of ways.
  • for example,

dd if=OurInput of=/dev/sdX bs=4

dd will report:

4+0 records written.

dd has written exactly 16 input bytes (4 records * 4 bytes each) to the first 16 bytes of the memory stick. the rest 512 - 16 = 496 bytes of the stick remain untouched.
  • we can do:

dd if=OurInput of=/dev/sdX bs=2

dd will report:

8+0 records written.

dd has written exactly 8 records (2 bytes each) to the first 16 bytes of the memory stick. the rest 512 - 16 = 496 bytes of the stick remain untouched.
  • we can do:

dd if=OurInput of=/dev/sdX bs=5

dd will report:

3+1 records written.

dd has written 4 records - 20 bytes in total! - to the memory stick. the first three are complete, and contain the first 15 bytes of OurInput. the forth, le last one - always 5 bytes long! - contains our 16th input byte at the start, and the remaining 4 bytes of the record are undefined (in this simple example; there is a way to control how dd fills in incomplete record).

the rest 512 - 20 = 492 bytes of the stick remain untouched.
  • we can do:

dd if=OurInput of=/dev/sdX bs=4M

dd will report:

0+1 records written.
    error: no space left on device.

dd has written 1 record - 4M long - to the memory stick. its first 16 bytes are from OurInput, followed by 512 - 16 = 496 undefined bytes of the record. then the output capacity has been exceeded, dd was unable to write to output the remaining 4096 - 512 = 3584 bytes of the record (chunk), so it issued an error message. but the stick will work perfectly! it will have 16 bytes of OurInput at the start, the rest will be undefined - exactly the same thing as in other examples.

in this example dd "works" at the max speed.
  • finally, we can do:

dd if=OurInput of=/dev/sdX bs=1

dd will report:

16+0 records written.

dd has written 16 records, each one exactly 1 byte long, to the memory stick. remainig 512 - 16 = 496 bytes on the stick remain untouched.

in this example dd "works" at the min speed.
now you should understand that bs=4M is nothing more than a good bet for nowdays iso sizes in relation to modern devices capacity. don't be alarmed if you see some dd "error". with two-three calculations you will see that really it was no error at all.

you should understand, as well, that the number of incomplete records can be either 0 or 1. it never exceeds 1.

these are only a very basic examples. dd can do many other powerful things. but i must stop here. otherwise mods will kill me :) .

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Oct 2014 17:18

Snap wrote:
/usr/bin is in PATH.

So, what is happening here? :o
Huh, another missing bin directory into $PATH. It seems I'm not the only one with such an issue. :roll:

Are the modified isos already uploaded, Schoelje?
I still have to fix live-installer before even starting to build them...again, but I think I found the solution: purge live-tools and remove remaining diversions made by live-tools.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Snap

Postby Snap » 08 Oct 2014 17:55

@just:

Crystal clear! Big, big thanks! May I encourage you to make a dd guide into the Tutorials section? :twisted: Your explanations about the dd command are better than any other guide or howto I've found.

@Schoelje:

Cool. I thought live-tools were a must for a liveISO. Are just helpers? Anyway. Waiting for the isos mode: [ON] 8-)

timber

Postby timber » 08 Oct 2014 19:11

Ran "Pre-Install" command (from command line) but when install gets to Language I cannot change to another language, cannot go "Forward", install locks up and doesn't want to Terminate.

Code: Select all

solydxk@solydxk ~ $ su
Password: 
solydxk solydxk # sudo sed -ie 's/.*gtk.gdk.threads_init()/gtk.gdk.threads_init()\ngtk.gdk.threads_enter()/' /usr/lib/live-installer/frontend/gtk_interface.py
solydxk solydxk # live-installer
>>> squashfs path = /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.squashfs
>>> Distribution edition: solydk64
>>> Gateway: None
>>> Keyboard.loadCodes cmd = ckbcomp -model pc106 -layout us  -compact
munmap: Invalid argument
libv4l2: warning v4l2 mmap buffers still mapped on close()
snapshot2.jpg

timber
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

Zill

Postby Zill » 08 Oct 2014 20:06

Snap wrote:@just:

Crystal clear! Big, big thanks! May I encourage you to make a dd guide into the Tutorials section? :twisted: Your explanations about the dd command are better than any other guide or howto I've found.
+1
An excellent write-up about dd that certainly belongs in the Tutorials section. Many thanks to you both.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Oct 2014 17:51

I think I solved the dd issue!

It seemed that isohybrid was moved from syslinux to syslinux-utils. Unfortunately solydxk-constructor didn't show an error message when it couldn't find isohybrid, leaving the ISO only bootable from DVD.

In my search for a solution I've updated the isolinux packages with the latest versions. I even adapted solydxk-constructor to do that automatically each time an ISO is built.

I just successfully booted SolydK32 and SolydK64 with

dd if=path_to_iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M && sync
I'm now building all new ISOs. They will need some dd testing before I upload them. I expect to be finished on Monday.

SolydXK needs you!

just

Postby just » 10 Oct 2014 18:22

sounds really, really good and very reasonable. waiting for new isos. thanks for informing on this subject, Schoelje.

Snap

Postby Snap » 10 Oct 2014 22:51

Glad you sorted it out.

I'll do some test in Virtual machines whenever the isos are available. Won't bother to try on metal because it's giving me all sort of problems with the drivers. I've tried last two Solyd isos (april and july?), Other Debian based distros and Ubuntu based one too. After upgrading the problems always appear.

Fransis

Postby Fransis » 11 Oct 2014 07:10

closes when installed will start copying the files. It is the second time I record it on a DVD and the copy is correct.
solydk 64 bit in October.

solydxk ~ # gksudo /usr/bin/live-installer
>>> Keyboard.loadCodes cmd = ckbcomp -model pc106 -layout es  -compact
Color: #2b1100
Image: /usr/share/live-installer/timezone/timezone_0.0.png
Coords: 362.0 166.0
Closest timezone Europe/Madrid
Color: #552200
Image: /usr/share/live-installer/timezone/timezone_1.0.png
Color: #552200
Image: /usr/share/live-installer/timezone/timezone_1.0.png
>>> Keyboard.loadCodes cmd = ckbcomp -model pc106 -layout es  -compact
 ## INSTALLATION 
Template path: /usr/share/live-installer/slideshow/template.html
 --> Installation started
umount2: No such file or directory
umount: /target/dev/shm: not found
umount: /target/dev/pts: not found
umount2: Invalid argument
umount: /target/dev/: not mounted
umount: /target/sys/: not mounted
umount: /target/proc/: not mounted
 --> Mounting partitions
 ------ Mounting /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.squashfs on /source/
EXECUTING: 'mount -o loop -t squashfs /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.squashfs /source/'
 ------ Mounting partition /dev/sdb3 on /target/
EXECUTING: 'mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb3 /target'
EXECUTING: 'umount /target'
EXECUTING: 'mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb3'
 --> Mounting partitions
EXECUTING: 'mount -o loop -t squashfs /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.squashfs /source/'
 ------ Mounting partition /dev/sdb3 on /target/
EXECUTING: 'mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb3 /target'
 ------ Mounting /dev/sdb4 on /target/home
EXECUTING: 'mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb4 /target/home'
 --> Indexing files
 --> Copying files
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_context: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_context_get_language: assertion 'context != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_context_get_metrics: assertion 'PANGO_IS_CONTEXT (context)' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_font_metrics_get_approximate_char_width: assertion 'metrics != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_font_metrics_get_approximate_digit_width: assertion 'metrics != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_width: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_width: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_line_count: assertion 'layout != NULL' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_draw_layout: assertion 'PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_layout_line_unref: assertion 'private->ref_count > 0' failed
  gtk.main()
/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_text: assertion 'PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  gtk.main()

(main.py:3081): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(main.py:3081): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

/usr/lib/live-installer/main.py:23: PangoWarning: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
  gtk.main()
/usr/bin/live-installer: line 11:  3081 Segmentation fault      $LAUNCHER /usr/bin/python2.7 -tt /usr/lib/live-installer/main.py $*
solydxk ~ # 

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Oct 2014 11:10

I've dd-ed and booted all ISOs successfully!

You can get them here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev

SolydXK needs you!

just

Postby just » 11 Oct 2014 11:19

already done: X and K of 2014-10-10.

the result with dd is negative :( here:

ISOLINUX 6.03 ... H. Peter Anvin et al

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
Boot failed: press a key to retry...
unetbootin-ing them now to see if live-installer will manage to finish.

Fransis

Postby Fransis » 11 Oct 2014 13:52

Schoelje wrote:I've dd-ed and booted all ISOs successfully!

You can get them here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev
with iso dated October 10 I've been able to install everything correctly.
download yesterday which had a different date.
my pc is installed everything correctly. (solydK 64bits)
good job!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Oct 2014 13:59

just wrote:already done: X and K of 2014-10-10.

the result with dd is negative :( here:

ISOLINUX 6.03 ... H. Peter Anvin et al

Failed to load ldlinux.c32
unetbootin-ing them now to see if live-installer will manage to finish.
Which ISOs were those, 32 or 64 bit?

SolydXK needs you!

just

Postby just » 11 Oct 2014 14:15

first impressions about two recent dev isos:
  • solydk64_201410.iso 10-Oct-2014 17:50 1.7G
  • solydx64_201410.iso 10-Oct-2014 22:25 1.3G
both are really very good:
  • include ISOLINUX boot loader now

permits to prepare live memory sticks with dd and boot from it. it was missing in previous dev releases. in my test case it still missing an auxiliary file, but that is a minor problem. it's important that ISOLINUX is finally there. unetbootin continues to make perfectly bootable live sticks.
  • have working live-installer

no more empty Hard drive and Partitioning pages in SolydX, no more crashes while copying files in SolydK. installer starts, works, finishes nicely, without any problem. the result is a fully installed and working system.
  • permit dual installation

my tests were primarily aimed to discover, if the dual installation (a fresh installation of both X and K in different partitions on the same disk) will be possible. by some obscure reason i was unable to do it with 2014.07 release. both X and K 64bit 201410-dev are happily installed and coexist now. hopefully, they will maintain this possibility in the final release.
there is still one thing that i really dislike in live-installer - the fstab it prepares on computers with more than one hard drive - but this is a historical problem, that lasts from 2013 and has no relation to the current release.

thanks to the developer for an excellent work done in almost no time!

passing to applications tests now.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Oct 2014 14:33

What auxiliary file are you referring to?
In boot/isolinux of the ISO you should find these files:

isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg
ldlinux.c32
libcom32.c32
libutil.c32
poweroff.c32
reboot.c32
splash.jpg
vesamenu.c32
What are you missing?

The .c32 files are copied from /usr/lib/syslinux/modules/bios/ (part of syslinux-common).

SolydXK needs you!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 11 Oct 2014 15:21

repeating the tests i made here
but this time using

solydk64_201410.iso           10-Oct-2014 17:50  1.7G  
the usb-stick successfully boots into the desktop.
will try now the installation.
bliss of ignorance

just

Postby just » 11 Oct 2014 15:38

mea culpa! a bit of disattention made a bad joke with me :( .

i was referring to the message displayed by ISOLINUX while booting:

ISOLINUX 6.03 20140916 EHDD Copyright (C) 1999-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al

Failed to load: ldlinux.c32
in fact, it speaking about ldlinux.c32, which it fails to load, not that it missing, as was erroneously written by me. i'm sorry.

don't understand what boot/isolinux means here:
In boot/isolinux of the ISO you should find these files:
the ISO files themselves, the live sticks made with dd and the live sticks made with unetbootin all have:

/boot
/boot/grub
/isolinux
folders, but no /boot/isolinux one.

the /isolinux contains all 9 files, listed by you - including ldlinux.c32, which is not missing - plus, one more file:

boot.cat
which appears to be a binary file.

reading zerozero's post right now about successfully booting from dd-made K-64bit stick. will try to boot with my failing sticks on another computer. if they fail there, i need to shutdown myself for a while.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 11 Oct 2014 15:51

first installation attempt failed with

--> Copying files  
Gdk:ERROR:/build/gtk+2.0-zztKf7/gtk+2.0-2.24.24/gdk/gdkregion-generic.c:1110:miUnionNonO: assertion failed: (y1 < y2)
the full log for completeness

solydxk@solydxk ~ $ live-installer
munmap: Invalid argument
libv4l2: warning v4l2 mmap buffers still mapped on close()
Color: #2b1100
Image: /usr/share/live-installer/timezone/timezone_0.0.png
>>> Keyboard.loadCodes cmd = ckbcomp -model pc106 -layout gb  -compact
 ## INSTALLATION 
Template path: /usr/share/live-installer/slideshow/template.html
 --> Installation started
umount: /target/dev/shm: not found
umount: /target/dev/pts: not found
umount: /target/dev/: not found
umount: /target/sys/: not found
umount: /target/proc/: not found
 --> Mounting partitions
 ------ Mounting partition /dev/sda8 on /target/
EXECUTING: 'mount -t ext4 /dev/sda8 /target'
EXECUTING: 'umount /target'
EXECUTING: 'mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda8'                                                                                                                                                                
 --> Mounting partitions                                                                                                                                                                        
 ------ Mounting partition /dev/sda8 on /target/                                                                                                                                                
EXECUTING: 'mount -t ext4 /dev/sda8 /target'                                                                                                                                                    
 --> Indexing files                                                                                                                                                                             
 --> Copying files                                                                                                                                                                              
Gdk:ERROR:/build/gtk+2.0-zztKf7/gtk+2.0-2.24.24/gdk/gdkregion-generic.c:1110:miUnionNonO: assertion failed: (y1 < y2)
solydxk@solydxk ~ $ 
bliss of ignorance

just

Postby just » 11 Oct 2014 16:27

burned
  • solydk64_201410.iso 10-Oct-2014 17:50 1.7G
  • solydx64_201410.iso 10-Oct-2014 22:25 1.3G
onto memory sticks with SUSE Studio Imagewriter. which is the ultimate test for any hybrid image to be correct.

both sticks boot and work correctly. K-64bit installation is already terminated without problems. X-64bit finishes to install now ("Configuring bootloader...").

Return to “Testing Zone”