New ISOs in ce/testing

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xendistar

Re: New ISOs in ce/testing

Postby xendistar » 03 Apr 2017 06:32

Cheers for all the help guys

If the SolydXK installers is choosing the 4GB swap file and the 8GB is the default setting for the virtual hard drive in Virtual box maybe a warning could be issued when the live installer is run or maybe a readme file on the desktop advising setting a larger hard disk than 8GB?

Update

Installed SolydX on my VB tonight, no trouble with the install this time

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 22 Aug 2017 16:48

Sorry, no new ISOs yet. Just a small note about the state of affairs.

I've been away a lot since mid July (no, not on holiday...), but I should be home most of the time from now on, at least until mid September. Unfortunately, I'll need to do some painting and other maintenance, so I'm not sure when new CE ISOs will be available. I do intend to build them before the end of the month, though.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 23 Aug 2017 07:49

No worries. I haven't had anybody complaining and even then: they're done when they're done (I feel Cruyff is still among us).

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

patzy

Postby patzy » 24 Aug 2017 00:11

grizzler wrote:Sorry, no new ISOs yet. Just a small note about the state of affairs....
I do intend to build them before the end of the month, though.
I am looking forward to the 32bit version. (I really will have to go modern with 64bit sometime...)
When I think of all the gratis work that goes into preparing the new ISOs, I am very happy to wait a while!

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Aug 2017 14:27

schoelje, grizzler: Here https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 986#p66158 is a fixed conf file for volume controls which have been reported to be an issue on SolydK9. I don't know, cause KDE ...
Just in case you want to have a look at it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Aug 2017 15:52

Yes, I noticed the report but I haven't had any issues on any of my machines. I haven't seen any reports on this issue either on our social media. I feel rather hesitant to change the default on basis of this single report. Thoughts?

SolydXK needs you!

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 25 Aug 2017 19:21

Schoelje, I can definitely confirm this problem exists. One of the things I configure on my systems is setting the master volume to 80% at KDE session start using the amixer command. After migrating to SolydK9, it kept happening that out-of-the-blue the volume-level seems to have been changed to 100%, suddenly/dangerously. I read about the problem (for intance https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 4175567844) and tried just as long till I had figured out at least one way to consistently reproduce the problem, in order to test this solution.

I found this!: go to System Settings, go to Notifications, select any random notification that is configured to play a sound. Then, more to the bottom, click the Play button to play the sound as an example. Thát will raise the volume to 100%. This is not the only situation, there are many, but this I managed to find as consistently reproducible.

I agree with others here on the forum, and other forums, that in order to solve this, set 'flat-volumes = no' in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf. It is also mentioned in the review https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7006, where the reviewer wonders, as one of the first items, whether 'THE volume problem' has been solved out of the box. In the end, however, this is just a terrible bug in pulseaudio..

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Aug 2017 20:37

I've added a fix in the adjust.py script in solydxk-system.
It'll check if "flat-volumes = " is used in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and if not it appends "flat-volumes = no" to the file.

Let me know if this works for you.

SolydXK needs you!

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 25 Aug 2017 22:07

Fix tests OK on my system: it applies the config-setting correctly plus I (re)verified that this provides the solution for the volume-issue at hand.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Aug 2017 01:16

a lil bit out of topic. since we all seems hate flat-volume, why don't we disable it by default. using a script since a lil bit redundat.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Aug 2017 18:53

The 32-bit SolydXK 9 ISOs have been built. I tried them briefly in a VM and that worked, but that's all the 'testing' I have time for right now.

I got some weird errors when I started the first upload attempt, but the second one seems to be progressing normally. Both ISOs should be available just after 22:00 CEST / 20:00 UTC: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/

I'll try to find the time to build the EE ISOs tomorrow.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Aug 2017 07:06

Downloading now...

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Aug 2017 11:06

Looking good!
Here are some minor findings (live) with a quick first scan:
  • boot/isolinux/splash.png is still the old splash. You can replace them with these:
    splash.png
    splash.png (15.14 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
    splash.png
    splash.png (15.65 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
  • live installer in SolydK (or any application run as root) uses oxygen icons (see bottom button icons and "User Info" and "Partitioning" tabs).

replace /root/.gtkrc-2.0:

Code: Select all

# File created by KDE Gtk Config
    # Configs for GTK2 programs 

include "/usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font" 
    {
            font_name="Clear Sans Regular"
    }
    widget_class "*" style "user-font"
    gtk-font-name="Clear Sans Regular 10"
    gtk-theme-name="Breeze"
    gtk-icon-theme-name="evolvere-blue-folders-flat-vivid"
    gtk-fallback-icon-theme="breeze"
    gtk-cursor-theme-name="oxy-white"
    gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
    gtk-menu-images=1
    gtk-button-images=1
    gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=false
    and /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini:

[Settings]
    gtk-font-name=Clear Sans Regular 10
    gtk-theme-name=Breeze
    gtk-icon-theme-name=evolvere-blue-folders-flat-vivid
    gtk-fallback-icon-theme=breeze
    gtk-cursor-theme-name=oxy-white
    gtk-menu-images=1
    gtk-button-images=1
    gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=false

• In SolydX /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini would be (not checked yet but before I forget it):

[Settings]
    gtk-font-name=Clear Sans Regular 10
    gtk-theme-name=Breeze-X
    gtk-icon-theme-name=evolvere-flat-vivid-sunken
    gtk-fallback-icon-theme=gnome
    gtk-menu-images=0
    gtk-button-images=0

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Aug 2017 11:53

Thanks. I'll check that (after I check the script that should have warned me about those discrepancies... :roll: ).
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Aug 2017 14:19

Fixed the script (I moved things around between disks after the disk issues I had earlier and overlooked one script config ...). Got a mismatch on the SolydX_9_64 ISO's /root/.local/share/applications: there's a softwaremanager.desktop file in there and I don't think that's required anymore.

I'm going to build a new 32-bit set first. Will be uploaded later today. EE's after that, possibly tomorrow.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Aug 2017 19:48

Tomorrow it is (or even later...). The SolydK EEs don't boot. No time to figure that out now.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Sep 2017 05:50

Can you upload one so I can take a look at it later?

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Sep 2017 10:12

I just went ahead and made one for myself.
It ends in a black screen as you described. I have no idea...yet.

As an unrelated side note: it seems that grub-mkimage needs the --prefix argument now or else it fails (it didn't before). If you leave it empty (--prefix '') it finishes correctly. The prefix is handled in the embedded.cfg file. SolydXK Constructor has been updated and source in Github.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Sep 2017 13:57

I'll check out the grub-mkimage change later.

In the meantime, I've managed to get a LightDM screen: wait until the black screen has been around for a while and then Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (Ctrl+Backspace in a VM). After a couple of seconds the login screen appears. Unfortunately, logging in is impossible because it doesn't accept any password. The main ISOs (nightlies) do that as well, by the way, so I'm wondering... Did you change the live system password?

Edit
Odd. I already had -p "" in my script's grub-mkimage call. Did an earlier version of the constructor's solydxk.py already have the prefix option? At the time, I just copied the code and the only thing I changed was long to short options...
I see you've changed the password code for the live system.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Sep 2017 16:28

No, the same password for the live user: solydxk
...but we had a change on the live installer when we found out that only the first 8 characters were used for the password...

It seems that live-config handles sha-512 generated passwords only partially: the live user logs in correctly but, as you found out, you cannot login after loging out. So, I reverted the password generation change for the live user and all functioned as expected again. I'm building new nightlies and expect to have uploaded them in about an hour or four. However, this change didn't help the EE iso: still a black screen.

So, this is what I did:

I ran the EE iso in VB and hit "e" in Grub to adapt the startup arguments. Removed all arguments and added "ro single". This brought me in recovery mode. Then I ran: "startx" which resulted in a black screen. I inserted "Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" to get back to the prompt. There I found the following error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

dbus-core: error connecting to system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_but_socket: No such file or directory)
I confirmed that /var/run/dbus does not exist and that dbus, dbus-x11 and dbus-user-session are installed. I also verified that /var/run/dbus/system_but_socket exists on SolydK 9.

I haven't found a solution, yet.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”