New ISOs in ce/testing

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: New ISOs in ce/testing

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 22 Jul 2016 12:07

@grizzler
I'm testing them all now. I limit myself to checking the installation process and found that the Live Installer had a bug where the regular 32-bit ISOs started a loop while cleaning apt. This was caused by sourcing /etc/lsb-release. Using "source file" is bash oriented. However when running that in a python environment the command is run within sh which is posix and does not recognize "source" but uses the equivalent "." as in: ". file".

I've updated live-installer-3, updatemanager and debian-plymouth-manager to solve this. I've also re-created the 32-bit ISOs and copied them over yours in ce/testing.

[Edit]
I found that in the EEs initramfs-tools gave an error at the end of the installation process stating that it needs busybox and that it was no longer available:

Code: Select all

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.6.0-1-686
E: busybox or busybox-static, version 1:1.22.0-17~ or later, is required but not installed
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.6.0-1-686 with 1.
The installation process finishes correctly and the system boots fine but perhaps we should remove "busybox" from /boot/live/filesystem.packages-remove

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Jul 2016 08:24

I've been trying for days now but I'm unable to install SolydX EE 64-bit and 32-bit.

During the copying process the rsync job freezes. It does this randomly and I see the rsync processes drop to 0% CPU usage when it does. There is more than enough space left on the HD and increasing memory to 4GB did not change anything.

I might be wrong but it seems that I'm the only one testing the community editions. Perhaps we should discuss the form in which to continue (or even if we should continue) the EEs.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 26 Jul 2016 12:51

Schoelje wrote:During the copying process the rsync job freezes. It does this randomly and I see the rsync processes drop to 0% CPU usage when it does. There is more than enough space left on the HD and increasing memory to 4GB did not change anything.
I've seen that happen once with one of the previous ISOs. Can't remember what I did to fix that. I may not have enough time to look into this before I'm off again... :(
I might be wrong but it seems that I'm the only one testing the community editions. Perhaps we should discuss the form in which to continue (or even if we should continue) the EEs.
It doesn't really seem worthwhile, does it? Doesn't look like many people are interested in them anyway. Do you have data on how often they're downloaded?
The installation process finishes correctly and the system boots fine but perhaps we should remove "busybox" from /boot/live/filesystem.packages-remove
Yup. Definitely.

By the way, I assume the EEs are also affected by the "source" issue in the live installer you mentioned? If they weren't, I could have built a new set very quickly by keeping the old squashfs file (my scripts allow that). Pity replacing the installer requires rebuilding that file. It takes quite bit of time on my system because I can't use all four cores (temperature goes through the roof if I do that and I don't want to risk the machine heating up so much it goes into forced shutdown...).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 Jul 2016 13:10

I'm sorry, I don*t have enough time to test ISOs. But I'm guessing most people don't because they have enough to do with their running EE system and are not doing new install regularly. I've done about 10 installs in the last months and only 1 of them (my own) was EE. ISOs are just needed for new installs and are there so many new installs that 4 ISOs a year are necessary?

If it's such a pita to create a working ISO (and you get flamed by ignorants for it) maybe just pick a suitable moment in time (which was Jan this year), create an ISO and wait for the next suitable moment (which probably will be some time before freeze)? By "suitable moment" I mean a point in time where a new install will most probably produce a well running system. That does not seem to be the case with SolydKEE atm.Why produce ISOs in the middle of several transisitons when everybody can get herhimself into the same mess just by updating? :mrgreen: .

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Jul 2016 14:06

grizzler wrote:
Schoelje wrote:During the copying process the rsync job freezes. It does this randomly and I see the rsync processes drop to 0% CPU usage when it does. There is more than enough space left on the HD and increasing memory to 4GB did not change anything.
I've seen that happen once with one of the previous ISOs. Can't remember what I did to fix that. I may not have enough time to look into this before I'm off again... :(
Now that the summer holidays have started I too have little time. So, no worries and perhaps this problem will solve itself, especially if we decide to stop maintaining the EEs.
grizzler wrote:
Schoelje wrote:I might be wrong but it seems that I'm the only one testing the community editions. Perhaps we should discuss the form in which to continue (or even if we should continue) the EEs.
It doesn't really seem worthwhile, does it? Doesn't look like many people are interested in them anyway. Do you have data on how often they're downloaded?
Of the total downloads this year of 14316 ISOs (includes community, localized, the rpi version and the regular versions) SolydX EE was downloaded 654 times and SolydK EE 478 times.
grizzler wrote:By the way, I assume the EEs are also affected by the "source" issue in the live installer you mentioned? If they weren't, I could have built a new set very quickly by keeping the old squashfs file (my scripts allow that). Pity replacing the installer requires rebuilding that file. It takes quite bit of time on my system because I can't use all four cores (temperature goes through the roof if I do that and I don't want to risk the machine heating up so much it goes into forced shutdown...).
The sources issue is not a problem for the EEs: the code was always using the new apt parameters for stretch and that was causing problems on the other versions. So, rebuilding is not needed.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 26 Jul 2016 15:41

Schoelje wrote:Now that the summer holidays have started I too have little time. So, no worries and perhaps this problem will solve itself, especially if we decide to stop maintaining the EEs.
It's tempting to do that, but I'm not sure yet. Let's at least leave it until after the holiday period.
Of the total downloads this year of 14316 ISOs (includes community, localized, the rpi version and the regular versions) SolydX EE was downloaded 654 times and SolydK EE 478 times.
Hm... Not a lot but still more than I expected.
The sources issue is not a problem for the EEs: the code was always using the new apt parameters for stretch and that was causing problems on the other versions.
Really? I admit I only took a very quick look at the live-installer-3 code, but it looked like the ". /etc/lsb-release" bit in the function get_apt_force() was called under all circumstances.
Never mind. I did a full build of a SolydX EE 64 anyway and whaddaya know, the damned thing won't even (live) boot in a VM (kernel panic). Definitely needs time off. :roll:
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 26 Jul 2016 15:49

ilu wrote:Why produce ISOs in the middle of several transisitons when everybody can get herhimself into the same mess just by updating? :mrgreen: .
My main reason for keeping this going is... to keep it going... :lol:

I don't like gigantic updates with thousands of packages. That's a total pain to debug. So I prefer small(ish) update batches, building a new ISO, checking the thing and fixing what's broken. Small steps. As long as the breakages aren't too severe, that usually works.
We've had a bit of a mess before, when SolydKEE first started moving to KDE5, but it looked like the worst was over. What's happening now is something new/different. It'll be another month before I really have time to look at it.
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 26 Jul 2016 16:07

If it's such a pita to create a working ISO (and you get flamed by ignorants for it) maybe just pick a suitable moment in time (which was Jan this year), create an ISO and wait for the next suitable moment (which probably will be some time before freeze)? By "suitable moment"I mean a point in time where a new install will most probably produce a well running system. That does not seem to be the case with SolydKEE atm.Why produce ISOs in the middle of several transisitons when everybody can get herhimself into the same mess just by updating?
sounds good...except for the part that no one could predict when will that happened :lol:

no problem on native system also doesn't guarantee that the iso will have no problem because building iso is a different process. that's why we need to test the iso, either for stable and testing, before release them to public. I'd like to participate with these stuff but my monthly internet quota is limited (only 2gb/month) with average speed less than 32kbps.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 26 Jul 2016 16:07

Right. And now the damned thing is working (writing this from inside it...). So... intermittent fault? I hate it when that happens... :ugeek: :roll:

Edit
Doesn't install, though. Like Arjen mentioned, the rsync just halts. No indication why.

Anyway, I'm running out of time today. Later.

Had a few minutes to try something: removing the --verbose switch from the rsync allows the process to finish. But that's not realistic, because you can't have the user looking at the "trying to mount target to sda2" line for minutes. Anyway, it looks like it's python's interproces communication again. Or maybe GTK+ messing things up.
Resulting install has issues as well. If you use plymouth, you end up looking at a black screen. Otherwise things appear to work OK.

And now I'm really off.
Attachments
terminal.txt
(26.06 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Jul 2016 17:51

kurotsugi wrote:...I'd like to participate with these stuff but my monthly internet quota is limited (only 2gb/month) with average speed less than 32kbps.
Thanks for your offer, kurotsugi, but we don't want you to waste your internet quota on this. You'd already exceed your quota when you upload/download two ISOs and with 32kbps it would take a long time to get it downloaded.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Jul 2016 18:24

I think I found the culprit and a workaround.

It's the logger. I don't know why and how to really solve it but I did this and the install process ended successfully:

sudo nano /usr/lib/live-installer-3/installer.py
Search for "def update_progress" (use Ctrl-W).
Comment the line that starts logging:

#self.log.write
I can update the installer if you want me to and I will take a look at it later to really solve it if I can.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jul 2016 13:24

It looks like there's a new live installer which incorporates this. Thanks.

I've created a new set (on my main machine at home, over ssh). Nothing crashed and I didn't see any alarming messages, so I'll start the upload in a minute.

I expect the EEs to behave about the same as the previous ones (minus the issues the new installer fixes, of course), so starting a live boot in a VM without selecting the third menu entry will still result in a black screen (or a kernel panic - I've seen that at least once with the previous set). If I can find the time I may download one myself and try it on this laptop.
Frank

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 31 Jul 2016 14:56

Thanks a lot guys for your work.
As soon as I can I will download and test SolydKEE 64.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 31 Jul 2016 21:09

palimmo wrote:Thanks a lot guys for your work.
As soon as I can I will download and test SolydKEE 64.
Tested on my laptop using an usb live iso.
For the few minutes I have been using it, it works and looks great!
Please consider to release it officially as community edition.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 31 Jul 2016 22:31

Installed solydkee_9_64_201607 in a vm. Other than the known problems with the installer it installed without problems.
In the solydxk welcome screen are the business applications still pertinent? They did not install for me even the text box said that they did.
All the others worked, except the games screen that I didn't attempt.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Aug 2016 08:39

@smitty1
I haven't checked the welcome screen for the EEs. I probably won't until the next freeze but if you feel up to it you can check this script: /usr/lib/solydxk/welcome/scripts/business

@grizzler
I hadn't had much time but I installed the ISO I had most problems with last time: SolydX EE 64-bit. It installed and booted fine. Just one dependency problem with a murrine package that doesn't seem to hinder the system's stability:

Preparing to unpack .../murrine-themes_0.98.11_all.deb ...
Unpacking murrine-themes (0.98.11) over (0.98.10) ...
Selecting previously unselected package albatross-gtk-theme.
Preparing to unpack .../albatross-gtk-theme_1.7.4-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking albatross-gtk-theme (1.7.4-1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/albatross-gtk-theme_1.7.4-1_all.deb (--unpack):
 unable to open '/usr/share/backgrounds/albatross-wall-source.svg.dpkg-new': No such file or directory
Selecting previously unselected package blackbird-gtk-theme.
Preparing to unpack .../blackbird-gtk-theme_0.4+20160704~ab4a30e-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking blackbird-gtk-theme (0.4+20160704~ab4a30e-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package bluebird-gtk-theme.
Preparing to unpack .../bluebird-gtk-theme_1.2-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking bluebird-gtk-theme (1.2-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package greybird-gtk-theme.
Preparing to unpack .../greybird-gtk-theme_3.18.0+20160720.7b72fea.gtk320-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking greybird-gtk-theme (3.18.0+20160720.7b72fea.gtk320-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/albatross-gtk-theme_1.7.4-1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

SolydXK needs you!

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 02 Aug 2016 14:49

@Schoelje
I ran the script /usr/lib/solydxk/welcome/scripts/business in solydkee_9_64-201607 as you suggested, here is the error output.

Fix database when needed.
Preseeding for business application...
Hit:2 http://repository.solydxk.com solydxk InRelease
Hit:3 http://security.debian.org testing/updates InRelease
Hit:1 http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian testing InRelease
Reading package lists...

Start installing: dolibarr phpmyadmin letodms projectlibre gnucash
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Copy business software information to localhost...
Done
E: Unable to locate package dolibarr
cp: cannot create directory '/var/www/html/': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create directory '/var/www/html/': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/var/www/html/index.html': No such file or directory
Just for fun I tried the games script also:

k-201607-vm scripts # ./games
Hit:2 http://security.debian.org testing/updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://repository.solydxk.com solydxk InRelease
Hit:1 http://debian.gtisc.gatech.edu/debian testing InRelease
Reading package lists... Done

Start installing: steam minetest 0ad wesnoth sauerbraten neverball supertuxkart libgl1-mesa-glx:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 0ad is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package supertuxkart is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package '0ad' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'supertuxkart' has no installation candidate
Done
I also made a vm with the solydxee and it went the same as the solydk. I did not have the problem aith albatross theme.
Hope this helps

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 03 Aug 2016 15:51

Thanks for testing, guys. A few quick comments...

The packages dolibarr and 0ad have been removed from Testing, so those errors don't surprise me. I haven't really looked into this yet, though (they're not mentioned in the 'issues' thread, I think). Probably won't have time for that before the end of the month.

Several of the themes that were borked by GTK+3.20 were fixed and at the same time moved to separate packages (they were part of the murrine-themes package - see https://tracker.debian.org/news/786725). This happened very recently (31-7 -> Testing, which probably means 1-8 actually there), so that may explain why one of you saw errors and the other didn't.

By the way, my system has a greybird-solydx theme, apparently part of the solydx-system-adjustments package. This is not GTK+3.20 compatible yet, of course. I think this needs to be either removed or fixed.

P.S.
Firefox 48 came in here today. Seems the (GTK+3) issues that showed up in 46 are finally fixed. I see scrollbars and radio/option buttons again! :lol:
Frank

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 03 Aug 2016 19:32

I can agree the scroll bars and radio buttons are back :clap:

Some more information regarding the new Firefox 48 Multi Process

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... s-firefox/

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Aug 2016 11:54