Community ISO maintenance and build issues - 1

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
grizzler

Community ISO maintenance and build issues - 1

Postby grizzler » 04 Nov 2015 21:27

Locking and "unsticking" this thread. New one here: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=7015

This thread is meant as a central repository for all issues to do with maintaining and building the Community ISOs. It should be mainly about the 32-bit main ISOs and the EE ISOs, but any other ISO that is only supported by the community may show up here as well. The reason for creating this is twofold: to list problems in the hope of getting some support from the community and to mention changes that may eventually be relevant when the current Testing becomes Stable.

The text of this first posting will change all the time. It functions as an index and contains a short description of each issue, which may be expanded upon in further postings. Any conclusions/results will also be mentioned here.

Issues

Entries in cyan (actually, color #00BF80...) are closed/solved, but left in the list for reference. Closed entries with a red title/subject line may still be relevant after the current testing becomes stable.

1. KDE5
Relevant to: EE/SolydK
This requires many changes to the settings to make the ISO look like it has anything to do with SolydXK. Getting a handle on this is proving to be even more work than expected, largely because the available documentation is either incomplete, outdated or plain wrong (don't believe anything you read on this page - it contains dozens of errors, often of the most treacherous kind, like small details that render examples completely useless, which is an absolute pain if you don't know anything about KDE's internals in the first place...).
The current state is a more or less working ISO, which even looks like a proper SolydK (if you don't look too closely...) but results in a less than satisfactory install, with bits missing all over the place and dolphin segfaulting all the time. I've decided to change the way the ISO's changes are set up to see if that improves things. This causes another delay - can't be helped.
Once a useable ISO is available, I will mention all the changes made in a separate posting. I expect many more changes to be necessary, because I do not intend to do any serious work on the theming (not my forte and I don't have the time to do anything about that...).
EDIT 29-11-2015 - More details here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 932#p57932

2. live-config [closed]
Relevant to: EE
The current version of this package in Testing causes an unresolvable hang during booting of the live ISO. A temporary solution is to return to a previous version (5.0~a3-1).
Judging by the e-mails with the uploads to Unstable (here and here), some "components have been renumbered". This may be relevant (or not at all). I'll probably look at this at some later date, but if anyone has an immediate idea what could be wrong, I would certainly like to know.
EDIT 30-04-2016 - Bug 802223. Fixed in version 5.20151121.

3. Incompatible Welcome Screens [closed]
Relevant to: all
The Community ISOs carry several applications that are not part of the main edition by default, but are mentioned in the Welcome Screens as installable (e.g. GIMP, Transmission). So far I've refrained from removing them here as well. It's up to "The Community" to decide and I haven't had any urgent requests to remove them (no, anything said about the main editions does not necessarily count as such...).
I could make things a little easier on myself and just kick them off, which would resolve most of this issue (most, not all: the bit about LibreOffice will never make sense for the EEs). Some input here would be appreciated.
EDIT 12-11-2015
No input in over a week, so apparently "the community" doesn't care either way. Fine. I won't ask again. I'll make up my own mind about these ISOs from now on.
LibreOffice screen not showing up in EE fixed by Arjen 02-12-2015.

4. No more gtk3-engines-oxygen (src:oxygen-gtk3)
Brought to my attention by this posting by belze (thanks). I haven't even looked at this yet, as I want the KDE5 mess out of the way first. There isn't much we can do about it anyway.

5. Debian Live on the way out [16-11-2015] [closed]
Relevant to: all
Just a placeholder for now. This is going to have an effect on SolydXK, but I'm not yet sure how.
EDIT 30-04-2016 - Iain Learmonth successfully hijacked the Debian Live packages. Nasty behaviour, but this seems to mean the 'threat' for SolydXK no longer exists.

6. GStreamer 0.10 removed [16-11-2015] [alert]
Relevant to: SolydX
This application has been replaced with GStreamer 1.x. So far the SolydX packages depending on it which have been removed from Testing are: exaile, xfce4-mixer and xfce4-volumed. The last two have either been replaced by another package or are no longer required. The first needs a replacement, as it's dead upstream.
Users may report issues if they use something that depends on the old version and this stops working.

7. USB-Creator not installable [28-11-2015] [closed]
This package depends on a package which no longer exists: udisks. This has been dead upstream since June 2015 and has been replaced with udisks2, which may be a drop-in replacement (or not - not investigated yet).
Fixed by Arjen 01-02-2015.

8. Synaptic not in Kickoff menu [20-12-2015] [closed]
The file synaptic-kde.desktop no longer exists, because all DEs now use the main desktop file, which runs the executable using pkexec. However, synaptic.desktop is overwritten by solydxk-system with a version that has NotShowIn=KDE;. As the only difference between the default desktop file and the overwrite is the Exec line, removing the overwrite is probably the best solution.
Fixed by Arjen 21-12-2015.

9. python-webkit (src: pywebkitgtk) removed from testing [28-04-2016]
The source package pywebkitgtk is dead upstream. Removing the binary package python-webkit during the update phase of ISO building also removes solydxk-softwaremanager. Temporarily fixed by marking python-webkit as 'not unavailable'.

10. live-boot-initramfs-tools (src:live-boot) causes kernel panic [29-04-2016] [closed]
Kernel panic because the 'mount -n -o move' in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/udev fails. Changing that to 'mount -n --move' fixes things, but this isn't a real fix. For now, downgrading busybox is a better option. Of course a proper fix needs to be provided by Debian or upstream (bug report 823069).
Fixed: live-boot 1:20160511 in unstable 11-05-2016. Migrated to testing 17-05-2016.

11. booting hangs in VM [30-04-2016]
Apparently the current kernel (4.5.0-1 a.k.a. 4.5.1-1) and VirtualBox (5.0.18-dfsg-3) don't play nice together, as the nomodeset option is required to finish booting. Booting on metal doesn't seem to be affected.

12. GTK+3 3.20 causes several themes to break [08-05-2016]
Several themes completely unusable, including the SolydXK default greybird-solydx.
EDIT 30-07-2016 - most themes fixed by now, by SolydXK default still broken.

13. dolibarr removed [21-05-2016] [closed]
Version 4.0.2+dfsg4-1 in unstable 18-11-2016. Migrated to testing 24-11-2016.

14. prism2-usb-firmware-installer (src:linux-wlan-ng) removed [22-07-2016]
Version 0.2.9+dfsg-6 in unstable 12-09-2016.

15. 0ad removed [30-07-2016] [closed]
Version 0.0.20-2 in unstable 21-08-2016. Migrated to testing (version 0.0.20-3) 30-09-2016.

16. synaptic no longer saves settings [10-09-2016] [closed]
Apparently synaptic doesn't use the correct method to set and/or read apt values: https://bugs.debian.org/837074
Fixed in version 0.84 (05-01-2017 in unstable - 0.84.1 to testing 17-01-2017).

17. virtualbox removed [10-12-2016]
New versions are still being uploaded to unstable, but nothing moves to testing. See https://bugs.debian.org/794466 and also https://bugs.debian.org/851124.

18. curl conflict with openssl [29-12-2016]
See https://bugs.debian.org/844018.
Fixed in version 7.52.1-1 (unstable 12-01-2017). Not in testing yet.

19. dirmngr unable to resolve keyserver's hostname (src:gnupg2) [04-01-2017]
See https://bugs.debian.org/849845.
Mostly fixed in version 2.1.17-3 (unstable 06-01-2017), better fix in 2.1.17-4 (11-01-2017). Not in testing yet.

20. xserver-xorg-video-intel - old intel driver removed [20-01-2017] [alert]
See https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6317.0.
Users with older hardware may experience problems with the new driver.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Community ISO maintenance and build issues

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Nov 2015 13:20

I've made this topic sticky in the hope to draw a bit more attention to it.

If there's something I can help with (e.g.: the welcome screen), let me know.

Something else: I've added a download counter to the community download page: http://solydxk.nl/downloads/community-editions/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 Nov 2015 14:13

Grizzler, your post was noticed and after reading it I decided I would install the 32bit CE on an older PC to see what you were talking about. But I got sidetracked be the USB-Creator and then started fiddling with old harddisks ... I'll get there eventually :mrgreen: and report back.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Nov 2015 14:43

debian live is now deprecated. daniel claimed that debian cd team hijacked his project so he decided to abandon it. stick with older version might work but there will be a limit to that.

due to gstreamer removal we might need to change the media suite for xfce too. last time I checked it was using exaile. replacing it with audacious might be a good idea for xfce. the removal hasn't finished yet but perhaps it will affect other apps used in xfce too.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Nov 2015 15:32

kurotsugi wrote:debian live is now deprecated. daniel claimed that debian cd team hijacked his project so he decided to abandon it.
Do you have a link for that and do you know what will be the consequence (we're using the live packages for SolydXK)?

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Nov 2015 15:41

Due to personal circumstances I've been unable to do any real work on the ISOs. This should change in a couple of weeks (yes ilu, I know I said the same thing in an e-mail about "this other project"...).

That said, some of the KDE5 issues could be close to a solution.

The Welcome Screens will need some modifications for the EEs, but I've already decided to synchronise things w.r.t. the extra applications on the Community ISOs.

I've been following the Debian Live mess on the debian-devel mailing list, but I'm not sure how this will affect SolydXK. The live-installer isn't a Debian product anyway and as the old versions of the various live tools 'just work' and do what is needed, forking them would certainly be an option (that's essentially what I'm doing with live-config right now - sort of). The current live-config issue is not related to that, so I'll add a new one to the list in the OP. Thanks kurotsugi.

I noticed exaile being removed from Testing. It's apparently "dead upstream" as the developer doesn't want to support the new GStreamer SDK. Another one for the list...
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Nov 2015 17:24

as grizzler said it's not really an issue (at least for now) since the old version still work. an obsolete software is common in linux and most of them works fine for years after it got deprecated. however, i think we need to keep on eye on this issue since at some point it will refuse to work. we need to create a backup plan before it happened.

as for gstreamer removal, aside from exailes, there are other packages too. for xfce, mixer and volumed is gone. I assume kde have similar situation since gstreamer usage is not limited to multimedia stuff. there are two solution for this issue.
1. change the program with it's equivalent provided on testing. or,
2. grab those missing packages from sid.

due to some reason some packages is still alive on sid. I think we will have quite spare time to talk about this issue. user actually not really affected by this issue since as long as gstreamer v0.10 stay in their system, those old programs will work just fine.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Nov 2015 18:05

The removal of those two xfce4 packages (mixer and volumed) doesn't appear to cause too many problems:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=785846
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=785888

One is superseded by a pulseaudio related package, the other no longer useful because the first one is gone.

With regard to KDE, I seem to remember reading somewhere that as of June/July this year, nothing depends on GSt 0.10 anymore. I'll check this later.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 29 Nov 2015 15:17

SolydK EE ISOs have been uploaded. Here's a list of KDE5 related issues I ran into. Most fixes were implemented by changing solydk-system-adjustments. This modified package will be overwritten with any new version that becomes available through the normal repository, so eventually a renamed package will be required. Alternatively, the existing package can be altered further to support both KDE4 and KDE5 (this should be doable).

1.1 Live system: no autologin
The plasma-workspace package contains /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-kde-plasma-kf5.conf, which sets the key user-session to kde-plasma-kf5. Unfortunately, the only corresponding .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions (also provided by the plasma-workspace package) is plasma.desktop, not kde-plasma-kf5.desktop. So the live session jumps straight into the lightdm greeter, because it can't find the kde-plasma-kf5 session.
Status: fixed (hacked) by diverting the configuration file, so the default lightdm setting takes over.

1.2 System wide configuration
There is no /etc/kde4rc equivalent. Apparently you're supposed to put stuff in /etc/xdg or just hack files all over the place.
Status: fixed by placing configuration files in /etc/xdg and overwriting /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/default/metadata.desktop, /usr/share/plasma/layout-templates/org.kde.plasma.desktop.defaultPanel/contents/layout.js and /usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/layout.js and adding /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.solydk.desktop.

1.3 Konsole unuseable
Default profile has dark blue text on a black background.
Status: fixed by moving solydk.colorscheme and SolydK.profile to /usr/share/konsole.

1.4 Dolphin crashing when accessing certain submenus
This is in part related to this and in part to this.
Status: partly fixed by adding /usr/share/kservicetype5/konqpopupmenuplugin.desktop (and also /usr/share/kservice5/ServiceMenus/md5sum.desktop and /usr/share/kservice5/ServiceMenus/mountIso.desktop). The second problem mentioned has to be fixed by the KDE developers.

1.5 Dolphin missing the root actions
The package rootactions-servicemenu in the SolydXK repo is outdated.
Status: (initially) fixed by providing an updated version of rootactions-servicemenu. May need further investigation as I just noticed opening a root konsole from dolphin doesn't (always) work (the creator of the script claims it is KDE5 compatible, though...).

1.6 Dolphin not showing icons when started with kdesu(do)
Appears to be a known issue, but that bug report doesn't seem to have had much of a response so far.

1.7 Desktop start up delay
After the splash screen, the screen goes black and the desktop background and panel take up to 30 seconds to show up. Sometimes some panel icons are already visible on the black screen. No idea what causes this.

1.8 No update manager icon
Probably related to the 'Legacy system tray' issue.

1.9 Miscellaneous
These aren't fixes as such, as they didn't cause unrecoverable errors.
The .xsession-errors file kept reporting missing evolvere-flat-vivid-sunken icons. I wasted considerable time trying to find out what was trying to use these icons and in the end installed the package evolvere-icon-theme-flat-vivid-sunken.
The kgpg-fix related items have been removed. The /usr/bin/kgpg-prepare script didn't actually do everything the comments claimed it did anyway and the rm in ~/.kde/Autostart/onetime-kgpg-fix didn't work. Several tests suggest kgpg works fine without the fix.

When building the ISOs, the modified solydk-system-adjustments and rootactions-servicemenu packages are taken from my local repository. This is not externally accessible. I'll provide a link to the packages later, so they can be downloaded for perusal.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Nov 2015 16:08

That was a lot of work!
I'll see what I can do for the solydxk packages when I have some time. I'm afraid that it'll have to wait until January, though.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 29 Nov 2015 17:16

Yes, it was quite a bit of work. Getting the configuration to produce something useable was a real pain. I'm sure it could still be improved. If the KDE people ever decide to provide more complete documentation, I may have another go.

The modified packages I used can be found here:
http://duinsoft.nl/pkg/pool/all/rootact ... k1_all.deb
http://duinsoft.nl/pkg/pool/all/solydk- ... k1_all.deb

The rootactions-servicemenu package should work with all SolydK ISOs. It has the actual files in the KF5 locations and symlinks in the KDE4 ones. The included version of the script itself is supposed to work with any current KDE version.
If I have the time, I'll look at creating a solydk-system-adjustments with a similar setup.
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 30 Nov 2015 05:40

the desktop startup delay is related with systemd. disabling bluetooth.service should fix it
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5884.0

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Nov 2015 08:08

@grizzler
To make things easier, I'll add rootactions-servicemenu to my list of packages to maintain. There won't be much to maintain on that package after this.

I found this new script in solydk-system-adjustments: /usr/local/bin/pt
What is it needed for (do other scripts use it)?

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Nov 2015 10:19

When I was working on the SolydK EE ISOs I found the old version of the rootactions-servicemenu package (2.8.0-0mint1) here. The version number indicates it's something that was imported from Mint. My version is part of my local repo/build structure, which means there's a "watcher" keeping an eye on any version changes (using this page). Maybe you could do something similar.

The pt script isn't used by any other script. I created it for my own convenience, partly because the apt script's name now conflicts with the executable provided by Debian and also because it has a bit more functionality. I like to be able to use the same tools when I work in the ISOs' chroot environment and package management is the most frequent kind of maintenance there. I left it in because I figured it may be useful to others as well.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Nov 2015 20:38

kurotsugi wrote:the desktop startup delay is related with systemd. disabling bluetooth.service should fix it
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5884.0
Yup, that's it. Thanks.
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 01 Dec 2015 12:03

missed this one.
plasma-systray-legacy supposed to be partially solve this issue. if we're lucky update manager issue might solved with this one.

http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5841.0

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 01 Dec 2015 12:05

missed this one.
plasma-systray-legacy supposed to be partially solve this issue. if we're lucky update manager issue might solved with this one.

http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5841.0

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Dec 2015 12:45

I've been working on SolydK EE 64:
  • Plymouth splash in VB with UEFI looks odd (but it's more than in Jessie).
  • KSplash looks different. Check /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/
  • Desktop Folder View is not transparent enough. I cannot find where to set the transparency for this widget.
  • Cursor is not oxygen-white
  • Widget Style is not QtCurve/SolydK. Setting this will show a strange rectangular shade at the top of each window. I'm adapting QtCurve/Breeze.
  • NumLock is not on.
  • When configuring synaptics: Synaptics backend not found
  • Mouse opens on single click.
  • usb-creator cannot be installed: needs udisks2.
  • No QtCurve Window Decorations: missing kwin-style-qtcurve and its dependency libkdecorations4abi2 in testing (stretch).
  • Two audio volume widgets in system tray.
This is going to take some time...

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Dec 2015 15:35

Schoelje wrote:Plymouth splash in VB with UEFI looks odd (but it's more than in Jessie).
Ordinary BIOS VBox just shows the usual 3 dots, so I didn't see that.
KSplash looks different. Check /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/
I used most of the default code from the breeze set, with some changes to account for the different name, so this is just the breeze splash with the right background and icon. It looked different, but I kind of liked it...
Widget Style is not QtCurve/SolydK. Setting this will show a strange rectangular shade at the top of each window.
Yup. I replaced all references to qtcurve because of that. I see I forgot to mention this one in my first message of 29-11.
Mouse opens on single click.
That's odd. The SingleClick=false line in /etc/xdg/kdeglobals should take care of that. It did here.
usb-creator cannot be installed: needs udisks2
Yup. Already noted that (point 7 in this threads OP).
Two audio volume widgets in system tray.
Another one I forgot to mention... :(
They actually access two different widgets, if I'm not mistaken: volume and mixer.
This is going to take some time...
When's the next freeze again? ;)
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 02 Dec 2015 09:52

Another thing to note: these ISOs are several GB larger than the previous ones. I haven't really tried to figure out why yet. It could be there really is more code and data in the KDE5 versions of the packages, but I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade hasn't properly cleaned out all the old locations in /usr/share (it should have of course, because that's one of the things Debian's package management system is supposed to take care of...). Anyway, this is also on my list of things to investigate.
Frank

Return to “Testing Zone”