Community ISO maintenance and build issues - 1

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
grizzler

Re: Community ISO maintenance and build issues

Postby grizzler » 24 Jan 2017 13:28

When I started this thread, I'd been thinking about a full featured bug tracking system, but I figured it would be overkill. I'm still not sure it wouldn't. Also, Arjen would have to set something like that up (I don't have access to the SolydXK servers) and I think he has enough on his plate as it is. Of course, I could set it up on my own site, but I'm not sure having a bug tracker about SolydXK issues on another site/domain is a good idea. ;) (thinking about that a bit more, maybe it is... :ugeek: )

On the other hand, if this keeps getting bigger, we will have to move it elsewhere eventually. A single forum posting can only have around 64000 characters, if I remember correctly. Besides, a proper bug tracker would make it easier for others to report issues (and overload it with spam... :evil: ). Darned. I'm both warming up to the idea and seeing downsides...

Anyway, I've changed the colour of the 'closed' issues in the first posting for now.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Jan 2017 20:17

OSDisc.com has included @grizzler's 32-bit ISOs: https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/solydxk
:clap:

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Jan 2017 20:44

This https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=253 gigantic thread always makes me uncomfortable. An issue tracker would be a good thing to have as long as there's a mechanism that prevents everything and it's mother to end up there. The forum should still be the main ressource for users. Maybe if registration would be limited to the active testers? Of course it's Arjens decision.
My local hackerspace uses redmine https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... ds=redmine which does the job for us. It's easily maintained since its in the repos.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Jan 2017 22:09

Indeed I'm very hesitant to start yet another tool that needs maintenance. Although it's very appealing to implement a bug tracking tool, I'm afraid I'll have to spend a lot of time administering that tool. It would come in handy if there were more than just two developers working on SolydXK.

If we decide to use a bug tracking system, I'd prefer an integrated and simple tool where only appointed administrators can maintain the bugs. I have installed Bug Library in my development environment to check out as soon as I have some spare time.

SolydXK needs you!

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 25 Jan 2017 12:37

Anyway, I've changed the colour of the 'closed' issues in the first posting for now.
looks great 8-)
This viewtopic.php?f=78&t=253 gigantic thread always makes me uncomfortable. An issue tracker would be a good thing to have as long as there's a mechanism that prevents everything and it's mother to end up there.
the discussion was going very nice in that thread so that we accidentally continue it when new stable got released. the plan was making new breakage thread for every debian testing release. the functionality has been replaced by this thread. personally I'm okay with this kind of method (i.e: simply using "breakage thread" as bug tracker). kinda reminds me with the old days. on top of that, the thread also used as a place for the enthusiasts for socializing (...and that's exactly why we got carried with that old breakage thread :lol: ). I think this function would never could be replaced with bug tracker.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Jan 2017 20:02

Schoelje wrote: I propose to include these packages from sid in our solydxk-9 repository:
  • virtualbox-guest-x11
  • virtualbox-guest-dkms
  • virtualbox-guest-utils
Did you actually try them? My initial attempts to get VB working again were based on these packages. They don't work (for me) in a VM. I still get this (last part of Xorg.0.log):

Code: Select all

[    37.411] (II) LoadModule: "vboxvideo"
[    37.411] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vboxvideo
[    37.411] (II) UnloadModule: "vboxvideo"
[    37.411] (II) Unloading vboxvideo
[    37.411] (EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)
[    37.411] (EE) No drivers available.
[    37.411] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[    37.411] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[    37.411] (EE) 
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
[    37.411] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[    37.411] (EE) 
[    37.418] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
I also had to re-install live-installer-3: I couldn't log in as the live user with our default password "solydxk".
It appears to be 'live' rather than 'solydxk'.
"apt download package" gives this error (repeated endlessly):

E: Command line option 'r' [from -r] is not understood in combination with the other options.
Executing 'apt -r download'
Just putting it here as a personal reminder.
I'll have to check that.
The 'download' function originally simply downloaded a package and all its dependencies. I added the 'fetch' function to download just the package itself. I see there are several issues with how 'download' is coded now. I could just fix that, but I also noticed the Mint version of this function has changed considerably since the original apt script entered SolydXK.
Tomorrow I'll start working on the Greybird theme but I don't know how long that is going to take (will that new version also work in the jessie based ISOs?).
I don't know anywhere near enough about themes to answer that... :(

I'm still not having any luck with the SolydK EE ISOs: black screen (instead of the desktop) with functional panel. All desktop applications work. plasmashell is running (according to top). Log out and in again and the desktop appears, but without installer-launcher.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Jan 2017 20:42

I tried those virtualbox packages and am working with them in SoldX64 EE without any issues. Haven't tested the other ISOs, though.

First this one, then that bad boy KDE5...

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Jan 2017 20:52

Schoelje wrote:I tried those virtualbox packages and am working with them in SoldX64 EE without any issues.
With the live ISO running in a VM? That's odd. I know they work after installing the ISO, but I could never get a live system to boot in a VM if it had those packages.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2017 05:40

I must admit that I use Oracles's VB package, not those in Debian's reository. Do you want me to upload my ISO?

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2017 07:08

I think I'll build another ISO with Debian sid's guest additions again and try that here first (I have Oracle's VB installed now as well). If that works, people who already have Debian's VB installed may have to replace it with Oracle's...
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2017 10:26

Doesn't make any difference, still the same issue. Could you upload your ISO, please? Thanks.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2017 10:31

I'll build an ISO with the theme as I have it now. Still a lot of work to do, but it's getting there.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2017 10:38

Hmmmm....I cannot copy from EE guest to the host:

cp: cannot create directory '/media/sf_dev/solydx-system-adjustments/workingdir/greybird-solydx-9': Protocol error
Have to find another way to get those files.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2017 12:45

You can get my ISO here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/schoelje/

The theme is far from finished. These I'm working on now:
  • Can't find background color for time widget.
  • Gtk3 slider is half-way equal to the Gtk2 slider.

SolydXK needs you!

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 31 Jan 2017 14:34

I installed it into a Virtualbox
2 issues
1. Time is wrong and I can't find where to change it.
Right clicking on the clock DateTime is greyed out.
2. My bridged internet connection is not working.

On to troubleshooting.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 31 Jan 2017 14:50

Ethernet problem solved.
My Laptop went to sleep last night and I guess when it woke up it lost the bridged Ethernet connection.
Closed VB and restarted it.
Ethernet problem solved.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 31 Jan 2017 14:57

For a Solyd EE edition shouldn't the testing repo use testing instead of stretch:

deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk main upstream import testing
deb http://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk-9 main upstream import
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2017 15:21

Yes, but my version is for development and for grizzler to look at.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 31 Jan 2017 15:24

Schoelje wrote:You can get my ISO here: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/schoelje/
Thanks. This one works. It also shows my previous analysis of why the other one doesn't was correct: the autoconfigured drivers. They do show up in this ISO's Xorg log. Still no idea why the ISOs I build have that problem.

Did you use the SolydX EE I uploaded last Sunday as a basis for this one or did you use an unpacked ISO you created yourself?

I know, I could just unpack this one over my own build structure and be done with it, but I want to understand what's missing there.

If you used Sunday's ISO, did you install anything else except the virtualbox guest packages?
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2017 15:31

grizzler wrote:Did you use the SolydX EE I uploaded last Sunday as a basis for this one or did you use an unpacked ISO you created yourself?

I know, I could just unpack this one over my own build structure and be done with it, but I want to understand what's missing there.

If you used Sunday's ISO, did you install anything else except the virtualbox guest packages?
I used your Sunday built, unpacked it, removed virtualbox.list, changed sources.list, apt sync, installed virtualbox guest packages, re-installed live-installer-3, replaced solydxee-info with solydx-info-9 and rebuilt it with SolydXK Constructor.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”