Community ISO maintenance and build issues - 1

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
grizzler

Re: Community ISO maintenance and build issues

Postby grizzler » 03 Feb 2017 14:11

Schoelje wrote:
grizzler wrote:The solydx/k-system-adjustments packages have a Depends: solydx/k-system-adjustments-8. However, currently the system-adjustments packages are the same on jessie and stretch systems. So I expect the -8 package to be pulled in on both (haven't had time to actually test this yet...).
On stretch, you'll need to install solydx/k-system-adjustments-9 manually. There was no way of making a transaction package (the old solydx/k-system-adjustments) that could decide whether to install the -8 or -9 version depending on the underlying Debian version.
Wouldn't a strategically placed

Code: Select all

if ver == 9:
    for badpkg in ['solydk-system-adjustments-8','solydx-system-adjustments-8']:
        if getPackageVersion(badpkg) != '':
            if getAptCacheLockedProgram() == '':
                goodpkg = badpkg[0:-1] + '9'
                os.system("apt-get %s --assume-yes purge %s" % (force,badpkg))
                os.system("apt-get %s --assume-yes install %s" % (force,goodpkg))
in solydxk-system's adjust.py be able to handle that (e.g. somewhere after the for loop starting at line 70)? The purge line may not even be necessary, as the -9 packages have a Conflicts: line that includes the -8 packages.

By the way, you may want to change the 'head -c 1' in line 31 to 'head -n 1' before Buster appears, because otherwise 'ver' would become 1.0 instead of 10.0 (provided Debian keeps the actual version number in /etc/debian_version and doesn't go back to putting 'testing/sid' in there...).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 03 Feb 2017 18:28

But still...I don't see any theme changes on my main system nor a fresh install of SolydK in VB.

@palimmo
Please check that you have solydk-system-adjustments-8, solydk-info-8 and solydxk-system installed or reinstall them for good measure.

@grizzler
I'm working on an adapted version of solydxk-system. It will replace solydx/k-system-adjustments-8 with solydx/k-system-adjustments-9 on stretch. I need to test it first before uploading it to testing.
I'm also working on a fix for the SolydKEE theme which will take a bit longer...overly complex to my taste but doable...I hope.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Feb 2017 09:04

Since my last post here I've been working relentlessly on the Plasma 5 theme. It has been a very, very frustrating experience. There is hardly any reference or example code to find and it's mostly down to trial and error development.

It all comes down to this: I'm still unable to set the default desktop to Folder View. The default desktop layout does not show the contents of the Desktop directory and when the desktop loads it will not show the Live Installer icon on the desktop although it exists in the Desktop directory. I've created a post on the kde.org forums to see if someone can help: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=138853

I had to change a lot of packages to get this working. The SolydXK configuration was all over the place. So, I've moved all SolydXK configuration to /usr/share/solydxk/... and all SolydXK scripts to /usr/lib/solydxk/... I've also removed the old SolydXK theme from the adjustments packages. This is also implemented for the current stable version. These packages are so experimental that I haven't even uploaded them to testing yet. I was too busy with SolydK EE.

If anyone's interested in my experimental SolydK EE ISO just let me know.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 08 Feb 2017 11:50

Schoelje wrote:Since my last post here I've been working relentlessly on the Plasma 5 theme. It has been a very, very frustrating experience. There is hardly any reference or example code to find and it's mostly down to trial and error development.
Tell me about it... :(
I've created a post on the kde.org forums to see if someone can help: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=138853
I sincerely hope you have better luck than I had with the only question I ever asked there...
If anyone's interested in my experimental SolydK EE ISO just let me know.
Yes please. I've already decided to have another go at the Plasma 5 mess, so I might as well see if I can make sense of it that way. Just don't get your hopes up.
Frank

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 08 Feb 2017 14:21

Schoelje

"If anyone's interested in my experimental SolydK EE ISO just let me know."

Yes please.

martin welsh

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Feb 2017 17:34

I've uploaded both SolydX EE and SolydK EE: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/schoelje/

Both ISOs have the regular packages. I needed to know how the themes work with the normal configuration. So, I removed the EE specific packages and replaced Firefox with Firefox ESR. The still point to SolydXK testing repository but the packages in these ISOs have not been uploaded yet.

For SolydK EE desktop creation happens in this file: /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.solydk.desktop/contents/layouts/org.kde.plasma.desktop-layout.js

Somehow lightdm in SolydK EE does not show a drop down with users. Don't know what's wrong there.

All SolydXK configuration can be found here: /usr/share/solydxk
All SolydXK scripts can be found here: /usr/lib/solydxk

I won't have much time the coming days. So, if you can find out how to set the default desktop layout to Folder View, that would be great! :D

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Feb 2017 21:04

This is a P.S. post :P

I'm working on a port for the Breeze theme for Xfce so that both X and K have a similar look and feel. I'll let you know when I'm done.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 09 Feb 2017 16:33

Not much luck with the Folder View issue so far. I'm not giving up yet, but I probably won't have time to look at this further until the weekend.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Feb 2017 06:03

I have replaced the ISOs in http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/schoelje/

SolydX EE now has a new theme based on gtk3-engines-breeze but with xfwm4 (windows decoration) themes for both the light and dark theme. I've uploaded all packages to the testing repository. If you want to dive into the new theme, you can find the source here: https://github.com/SolydXK/gtk3-engines-breeze-x

Here are some screenshots of the ISOs:
solydkee-breeze.png
solydxee-breeze.png
solydxee-breeze-dark.png

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 11 Feb 2017 09:39

On my test setup, using the live ISO and a plasma reload command sequence (kquitapp5 plasmashell; rm -f /home/solydxk/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc; plasmashell &), I got the Folder View to appear by changing the relevant section in /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.solydk.desktop/contents/layouts/org.kde.plasma.desktop-layout.js to:

var desktopsArray = desktopsForActivity(currentActivity());

for (var j = 0; j < desktopsArray.length; j++) {
    desktopsArray[j].addWidget("org.kde.plasma.folder");

desktopsArray[j].wallpaperPlugin = 'org.kde.image'
    desktopsArray[j].currentConfigGroup = new Array ("Wallpaper", "org.kde.image", "General")
    desktopsArray[j].writeConfig("Image", "file:///usr/share/wallpapers/solydk/contents/images/3840x2160.png")
    desktopsArray[j].writeConfig("FillMode", 2)

desktopsArray[j].currentConfigGroup = new Array("General");
    desktopsArray[j].writeConfig("pressToMove",true);
    desktopsArray[j].writeConfig("showToolbox",false);
    desktopsArray[j].writeConfig("popups",false);
    desktopsArray[j].writeConfig("selectionMarkers",false);
    desktopsArray[j].writeConfig("sortMode","-1");
}
That is, I added the line: desktopsArray[j].addWidget("org.kde.plasma.folder");
and fixed the "FillMode" line (2 instead of "2", as that's supposed to be an integer and not a string).

I haven't built an ISO yet, because I need some clarification about the stuff in /usr/share/solydxk/default-settings/plasma5-profile. What exactly is all of that supposed to be? At a glance, I see a lot of files that belong elsewhere (and also at least one that shouldn't exist, if I remember correctly). How does that work? Do you have a script somewhere that puts them in the correct place? Or did you find a way to simulate KDE4's /etc/kde4rc after all?
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Feb 2017 09:49

grizzler wrote:I haven't built an ISO yet, because I need some clarification about the stuff in /usr/share/solydxk/default-settings/plasma5-profile. What exactly is all of that supposed to be? At a glance, I see a lot of files that belong elsewhere (and also at least one that shouldn't exist, if I remember correctly). How does that work? Do you have a script somewhere that puts them in the correct place? Or did you find a way to simulate KDE4's /etc/kde4rc after all?
Yes, I did! :D
Just check out: /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10-default-settings-xdg
I've been taking a good look at Netrunner...I like that distribution...learned a lot.

I'll check out your script and build an ISO asap.

SolydXK needs you!

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 11 Feb 2017 10:19

Schoelje wrote:
Here are some screenshots of the ISOs:
great!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Feb 2017 11:50

I've uploaded the SolydK EE ISO with grizzler's fix.
I'm still looking for a permanent solution but this is a good workaround.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 11 Feb 2017 13:14

Schoelje wrote:Yes, I did! :D
Just check out: /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10-default-settings-xdg
That's odd. I tried something similar when I realised /etc/kde4rc didn't have a simple KF5/Plasma 5 equivalent, but it didn't work. Must have been properly implemented in a later Plasma version.

Unbelievable: my question on the kde forum about a /etc/kde4rc replacement has since had a reply (13 months late...), which mentions the exact same solution as used in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10-default-settings-xdg... :roll:
I've been taking a good look at Netrunner...I like that distribution...learned a lot.
Then I'll have to take a look as well. Thanks for the pointer.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 11 Feb 2017 13:32

With regard to the items in default-settings/plasma5-profile, are you sure everything in kservices5 needs to be there? The ones I compared with the system's own are all different and I'm not so sure the solydxk ones really are more recent. Some are missing translations.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Feb 2017 13:58

I've used the same files as Netrunner and adapted with what we already had. I didn't have the time to check if all were needed. I was just happy I got a working desktop after three days of working on it.

So, just make a list of things that needs to be removed, changed or added and I can package it.

SolydXK needs you!

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 11 Feb 2017 15:18

Can you say how much more or less is the resource usage difference between SolydK EE and SolydX EE (in terms CPU, RAM)?
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 11 Feb 2017 15:42

Schoelje wrote:So, just make a list of things that needs to be removed, changed or added and I can package it.
Easier said than done. Some of those files have more differences than the translations. In particular X-KDE-Weight and X-KDE-System-Settings-Parent-Category can be different. While I have no idea what the former is about, I can imagine the latter causing some confusion if I simply tell you to remove the Netrunner version.

I'll start with a visual comparison between your version and mine, with the 'duplicates' left out of mine. I'll have to bring mine up to date first, of course. Do you have any of the changes packaged at this time? If not, are the /usr/share/solydxk/ and /usr/lib/solydxk/ changes, the configuration in /usr/share/plasma/ and the themes the only things to check or is there more?
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Feb 2017 15:56

No, that's it.

Somebody just posted a possible solution to our folder view problem: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 33#p371933
Building a new ISO now but I only have some time later tonight.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Feb 2017 20:18

That worked. 8-)
Now to find out why the widgets aren't locked by default. The code says it is:

rightButton.writeEntry("lock widgets", "true");
in /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.solydk.desktop/contents/layouts/org.kde.plasma.desktop-layout.js

I'll upload the new package and new ISO on monday. Family visits tomorrow.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”