Audio issues in SolydK EE

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
fernandoamartin

Audio issues in SolydK EE

Postby fernandoamartin » 12 Dec 2015 15:23

I made a fresh install of solydk ee 201512 iso on my pc that has a gigabyte fm2+/fm2 motherboard and an a-10 7850k amd processor. Everything is ok but I'm having some issues with sequencers and midi software.

1 - Most of times I use qsynth, using alsa as output, every played note sounds with an annoying metallic squeak. (There are times when this doesn't happen. There are times when I change the volume of the software the squeak disappears. But there are times when it doesn't. And if it disappears at some section at the next start it's there. Also most of times the metallic squeak is there.)
The only way I found to avoid the squeak is using jack as output. When I use jack I get a clear sound. However the issue is that I've been obligated to use jack. Even when I want to output my sequencer through alsa I can't.

2 - Back in 2012 I used rosegarden connected to timidity and placed segments with sysex (system exclusive) messages on the first track to change the tuning of some notes during playback to compose arabic music. At that time it worked right. But now it seems that rosegarden is not sending the sysex messages to timidity anymore. I created a file with sysex messages to change tunings of notes during playback exported it to midi and played it using pmidi with timidity as output and the tuning change worked. However when I played the same file using timidity as output I got no tuning change.

I have tried the same things in another computer with solydxk main edition and with a newer version of rosegarden and the sysex were sent correctly and I never had metallic squeaks. But I tried the same procedures on opensuse tumbleweed with plasma 5 and had the very same issues.

If anyone can help me I'll be very thankful.

kurotsugi

Re: Audio issues in SolydK EE

Postby kurotsugi » 14 Dec 2015 04:31

try to tweak pulseaudio. most of these problem related with latency, buffer and sampling stuff on pulseaudio. else, just like most of audio enthusiast here you can completely get rid of it and use ALSA combined with JACK. if you still need pulseaudio (just like I did) you can also try to reroute your audio stuff so that your program will send the signal directly to ALSA or JACK. I spent quite a time to tweak pulseaudio, the result is noticeable but on most fimes in the end I always ended up using JACK because the sound quality is better. on top of that most of audio related stuff in linux is using JACK. I only use pulse when I need to reduce system usage or I want to use LADSPA plugin.

fernandoamartin

Postby fernandoamartin » 14 Dec 2015 14:12

Thank you for the idea. But how can I tweak pulseaudio?
I removed pulseaudio from an opensuse install, after some reboots got the audio working without it but often I had issues, for example when I launched some audio apps kde said that could not recognize audio device, changed the device automatically etc.
I don't want to damage solydxk audio because I'd like to keep this OS working for the next years.
What can I do?

Ghstryder

Postby Ghstryder » 14 Dec 2015 14:22

Like many, I've had the occasional battle with audio in Linux. I'm not a Linux 'spert, an audiophile, or anything else, but I have found this to be a good explanation of the components involved in getting noise out of the computer.
How It Works

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 15 Dec 2015 04:47

I'm on mobile so I can't tell you specifically how to do it. It only require some modification on pulse conf file so it should be easy. Google will kindly guide on this matter :3

EDIT: I decided to write a guide about it http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6053

fernandoamartin

Postby fernandoamartin » 16 Dec 2015 18:48

Nice tutorial about pulseaudio and nice article about how linux audio works. Both were very explanatory and helps us making conscious configuration choices in linux audio. Thanks.

Return to “Testing Zone”