Live Installer 3

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Live Installer 3

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Jan 2016 09:34

I've been working for weeks on this project. Many hours I've spent to convert our Live Installer that uses Python 2.7 with Gtk to Python3 with Gtk+. The Python developers have removed functions, moved functions to other classes, changed function names, changed functions parameters or changed the output to another object. Of course, there is no clear manual for these kind of changes. I know there's a lot of controversy using Python3 but doing so I've made my life a lot easier: all the SolydXK applications are now using the same technology.

I'd like to cite a famous Dutch soccer player who said in all his wisdom: "Elk nadeel heb z'n voordeel" or "Every disadvantage has its advantage".

I now know every little bit of code of the application. I've resolved many existing bugs. I can now actually see what I'm changing in the GUI with the Glade editor. I even could add some features that are now easy to implement (like updating the new system if possible and needed). Last but not least, the experience has enriched my vocabulary ;)

Now, the application itself. On the outside nothing has changed: users will still see the same GUI and has the same process order and features. Also, nothing has changed for the translators (I'll provide a link later). Obviously, for the programmer a lot has changed but because I'm the only programmer that's not an issue.

When you start testing, please start the Live Installer from the terminal:

Code: Select all

live-installer-3
Note the "-3" at the end.
The output in the terminal is needed if something went wrong. Together of course with a description of what you did (step by step) to get the error.

I've attached a sheet with the tests I've done but it's better that anybody but the developer is testing the application.
TESTING Live Installer.ods
(45.11 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
For anybody building (localized) ISOs: after installing live-installer-3, the old live-installer has been removed. However, you may need to manually purge python-geoip.

Here are the sources:
https://github.com/SolydXK/live-installer-3
Translations:
https://www.transifex.com/solydxk/live- ... dashboard/

Does anybody (not Dutch!) know which Dutch soccer player I was citing?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

mhwelsh

Re: Live Installer 3

Postby mhwelsh » 18 Jan 2016 09:46

You say you are updating the nightly builds.

The last build but one, I think, the build demanded the installation of an efi partition and when you installed the build it was an efi enabled installation that it produced .
The most recent build, 201512, does not produce an efi enabled installation.

The question is whose hand has the fumbled finger - mine or yours?

martin welsh

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Jan 2016 11:30

I've just uploaded new nightly builds: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/nightly/

@mhwelsh
I haven't had that issue on any of my EFI machines and I even had to reinstall my main machine recently. Had no issues. Perhaps it's better to take that to a separate topic as this one is for the new Live Installer. Except, of course, if you encounter the same issue with the new Live Installer / nightly builds you can post that here.

SolydXK needs you!

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 18 Jan 2016 13:40

I will try the new nightlies.
Thanks.

martin welsh

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Jan 2016 15:04

Found one issue:
Grub is not configured correctly when using custom boot parameters.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Jan 2016 20:15

Another one:
live-installer-3 install error.png
live-installer-3 install error.png (19.66 KiB) Viewed 2307 times

SolydXK needs you!

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 20 Jan 2016 04:10

Is this a continuation of the usb persistent image installer you were working on here -http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6097.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 20 Jan 2016 04:24

the experience has enriched my vocabulary ;)
Always a good thing! :lol:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Jan 2016 05:43

Fargo wrote:Is this a continuation of the usb persistent image installer you were working on here -http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6097.
No, this is a completely new (python3/Gtk+) installer with the same features as the old version, not the old installer (python2.7/Gtk) with an added feature.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”