Reporting some issues with the EE version

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
grizzler

Re: Reporting some issues with the EE version

Postby grizzler » 11 Nov 2016 20:29

Yes, updating/upgrading should be enough most of the time. However, sometimes configuration files make a difference and these aren't always replaced when you upgrade. That's why tests with new ISOs are preferable. They can produce different results.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 11 Nov 2016 20:35

grizzler wrote:Yes, updating/upgrading should be enough most of the time. However, sometimes configuration files make a difference and these aren't always replaced when you upgrade. That's why tests with new ISOs are preferable. They can produce different results.
Okay, thank you for this explanation.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 21 Nov 2016 05:28

Just noticed that both Plasmashell and a small program called davmail (connector between email program and Exchange server) use a lot of memory. Much more than usual.
I have seen scores of around 500MB for the total OS, now only Plasmashell uses this much, while Davmail uses 1.2% of my 16GB..
It is written in Java and in the attached picture you can see the amount of memory it uses.
Screenshot_20161121_062703.png
What can I do about this, or which info do you need more to be able to help me?

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 22 Nov 2016 19:13

Anyone an idea why I am using more than 3GB of memory at the moment while using:
Google-Chrome, Davmail, Kontact and Spotify?
It's way too much, right?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 22 Nov 2016 19:49

I never use kde but based on your previous post I'd say that's normal. chrome is known as resource eater. he'll use lot of memories. I don't know about the plasmashell since I'm on the X side. you mentioned that you have 16 gb mem so IMO it's not an issue. 3/16 doesn't really means anything as long as the cpu could handle it. your picture shows that the cpu usage is normal so all is well.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 22 Nov 2016 20:26

kurotsugi wrote:I never use kde but based on your previous post I'd say that's normal. chrome is known as resource eater. he'll use lot of memories. I don't know about the plasmashell since I'm on the X side. you mentioned that you have 16 gb mem so IMO it's not an issue. 3/16 doesn't really means anything as long as the cpu could handle it. your picture shows that the cpu usage is normal so all is well.
Is there anyone on the team who is using KDE? I always here I use XFCE and know nothing about KDE.
Are other users seeing the same memory use as I am or am I the only one again?
Compared this OS to my other SolydK which is SolydK 8 Jessie and this one uses 2-3 times as much memory. This is not normal, it should not do that.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 22 Nov 2016 21:00

I am running SolydX and would concur with Kurtsugi comment about Chrome being memory hungry. I only have 4gb of memory and had to stop using Chrome as I was running out of of memory and hitting the swap file. Using Firefox with the same amount of tabs and I am using nowhere near the same amount of memory.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 22 Nov 2016 21:11

It is not Chrome I am complaining about, it is KDE's programs/parts like Plasmashell, Kontact, and that java program called davmail. I know Chrome is memory-hungry as well. As soon as you open more than 1 TAB it starts. But especially Plasmashell eats as much by itself as my total SolydK8 does.
So, I would like to hear from KDE users what is the situation in their computers.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 22 Nov 2016 23:11

there several enthusiast who I know using plasma but I rarely see them active in these days. nothing is reported on the breakage thread about mem usage yet. I haven't see a report on siduction too.

Return to “Testing Zone”