Firefox - Facebook strangeness

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xendistar

Firefox - Facebook strangeness

Postby xendistar » 26 Nov 2016 18:37

I have had this happen three times now over the last week. I am reading Facebook and watching random video's (on Facebook) eveything is ok. Then I later I may decide to post a reply to a comment on Facebook (not a comment on the video I was watching) but every time I press the space bar as I type the comment I get a voice track from a previous video start playing and if I press the space bar again it stops, if I press it again it starts etc. etc. etc. I have not been able to link this to any particular group of Facebook or time scale between watching and the playback starting. The only cure I have found to date is to restart Firefox, I should also point out that Firefox is restarted every day (my PC runs 24\7).

It is not a massive problem at the end of the day but just one of those annoying ones I would like to resolve if possible. anybody have any thoughts?

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -A
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-1-amd64

xendistar

Re: Firefox - Facebook strangeness

Postby xendistar » 05 Dec 2016 22:22

I have not got much further in resolving this, it is definitely related to the space bar as I have also noted that if I am just wandering through posts on Facebook (as opposed to writing a comment) and I tap the space bar, it will scroll down two or three posts and start the audio play back. I have also noted that it does not happen to every video, it just seems to be certain video's. I can play several video but it will only play the audio to a video I watched at the beginning.

Other than pressing the space bar which will stop the playback, I can press ctrl m which will mute the play back, but pressing ctrl m again the the playback is still going (as you would expect).

I have looked at many keyboard short cut lists for Firefox and I can't find anything related to video or audio playback (other than ctrl m).

I did not mention it in my last post but my browser is Firefox 50.0.0.2. When I started the thread I thought it might have just been a audio issue so I only posted the audio output from inxi, but as my thoughts are changing here is the full spec of the PC

Code: Select all

mit@lunar1 ~ $ sudo inxi -F
System:    Host: lunar1 Kernel: 4.8.0-1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: SolydXK
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8H61-M LE v: Rev x.0x serial: MF70BAG07036609
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 4401 date: 08/10/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2120 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1599 MHz 2: 1601 MHz 3: 1601 MHz 4: 1603 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 105x25 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-1-amd64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 54:04:a6:a5:12:4e
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 660.1GB (20.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdb model: Hitachi_HDS72161 size: 160.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: ST500DM002 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 58G used: 14G (26%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: /home size: 135G used: 40G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 6.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 202 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 2264.5/3662.2MB Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 2.3.4

ilu

Postby ilu » 05 Dec 2016 22:47

I'm using space to start/stop videos all the time, works in vlc and in firefox - on Linux and on Windows. No idea where the shortcut comes from, but it seems to be fairly universal. It should require the video window to have focus though. Maybe there's something special about how fakebook embeds the videos?

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 11 Dec 2016 21:39

Well to honest, I have never used the Space bar to stop and start videos.

I have done a little searching and found that the spacebar which will stop and start videos or used scroll down the page. There is nothing (as I can find) regarding rogue audio tracks playing in Facebook which is my issue, when there is no video window in focus the audio track starts to play from a the last previously played video when the spaced bar is pressed (normally when making a comment).

I have been looking at this page

http://www.addictivetips.com/web/disabl ... n-youtube/

But while it seem to stop the spacebar from activating the stop\start video in Youtube (not a problem to me) does it does noting for me in Facebook (and yes I registered www.facebook,com in the preferences)

I will continue looking and searching

Regards

Tim

Return to “Testing Zone”