very slow boot--start job stuck

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
lilgman

very slow boot--start job stuck

Postby lilgman » 18 Jan 2017 19:22

Help! My computer boots VERY slow because of a start job that takes 90 seconds to time-out. I think this started after I installed Debian LXQt on another partition, but I'm not sure. Debian and SolydX share the swap partition and /home.

When it's booting I'm seeing this:

Code: Select all

A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2duuid-737cbe01\x2d4eee\x2d44e5\x2d4a1e4b03ae44.device (1min 26s...)
(I cut part of the screen off when I took a picture, but I think the important stuff is there)

cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
UUID=81acf2f0-ad55-4050-bd34-31b41e95c390	/	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	1
UUID=82EA-FED3	/boot/efi	vfat	defaults	0	0
UUID=6E0D-3098	/boot/efi	vfat	defaults	0	0
UUID=2cb48f61-9f1e-4ef7-8193-444f09519974	/home	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	2
UUID=737cbe01-4eee-44e5-95cc-4a1e4b03ae44	swap	swap	sw	0	0
So it seems to be related to the swap partition? Or is it nmbd.service? Or something else?

$ systemd-analyze blame
         25.393s nmbd.service
          5.297s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-2cb48f61\x2d9f1e\x2d4ef7\x2d81
          5.244s iio-sensor-proxy.service
          3.848s solydxk-system.service
          2.451s dev-sda10.device
          2.286s smbd.service
          2.254s ufw.service
          2.148s loadcpufreq.service
          2.085s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
          1.932s ModemManager.service
          1.199s systemd-logind.service
          1.192s console-kit-log-system-start.service
           905ms avahi-daemon.service
           890ms networking.service
           856ms exim4.service
           806ms dictd.service
           777ms keyboard-setup.service
           719ms bluetooth.service
           658ms systemd-udevd.service
           657ms virtualbox.service
           570ms accounts-daemon.service
           565ms run-rpc_pipefs.mount
           524ms NetworkManager.service

ilu

Re: very slow boot--start job stuck

Postby ilu » 18 Jan 2017 23:36

lilgman wrote:Help! My computer boots VERY slow because of a start job that takes 90 seconds to time-out. I think this started after I installed Debian LXQt on another partition, but I'm not sure. Debian and SolydX share the swap partition and /home.
You shouldn't share /home. /home helds configurations which might overlap and cause confusion when executed by the wrong system.
In order to share your data between systems put all data on a separate partition, including all configuration data you wish to use on both systems. Mount that partition into both /homes. Use symbolic links where necessary.

To my experience sharing swap should be fine, but in this case it seems to be causing problems. To check that out, comment the line with swap in it. Both systems should be able to run without swap.

# UUID=737cbe01-4eee-44e5-95cc-4a1e4b03ae44   swap   swap   sw   0   0
Report what happens upon reboot.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 Jan 2017 02:28

the /home partition could be shared. but you need to make sure that the user name are different. as ilu stated above, you can try to disable swap for both system. at a glance it seems that the system detected corrupted swap (it might not actually corrupted but the data isn't recognizeable). swap should not shared for two OS so if you want to use swap, try to reformat it and define which OS will use that swap. as for the other OS, if you need swap functionality (i.e : hibernation) you can use swap file.

EDIT:
I forgot about the samba. if you didn't use samba, you can disable samba related services (or uninstall them) there are several samba services (nmbd, samba-ad, etc). it's a known issue that samba will slowing down the boot process.

lilgman

Postby lilgman » 20 Jan 2017 19:39

Thank you so much for the advice about not sharing /home/user and /swap. I don't plan to use the other distro. I guess I just got an "itchy foot" and wanted to see what LXQt was like. XFCE has become so familiar that I just can't get along with any other UI. Any advice about how to fix this permanently for SolydX?

@ilu, Commenting the swap line out in fstab solves the boot problem. I assume this mean I no longer have swap since the following showes 0B used?

$ sudo swapon --show
[sudo] password for glenn: 
NAME      TYPE      SIZE USED PRIO
/dev/sda9 partition 3.9G   0B   -1
@kurotsugi, Formatting the swap partition with Gparted doesn't help, so I'm thinking it's not a problem with it being unrecognizable/corrupted.

Thanks again!

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Jan 2017 19:57

Yes that means that you run without swap, which can work without problems depending on your system specs (RAM size). With 12 GB RAM my swap is rarely used. You could use a swap file instead as kurotsugi said (and use the partition for something else) or you could figure out the problem and reactivate the swap partition afterwards.

Sadly I have no idea what could cause the problem if not a corrupt swap. You could try to reformat the swap partition with ext3 and afterwards with swap again to make sure that the swap partition doesn't cause the problem.

Return to “Testing Zone”