One step further

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
SolydForEver

One step further

Postby SolydForEver » 06 Feb 2017 19:40

Today I received an email from Jonathan Wiltshire, member of the Debian team. He wrote:

"The Release Team is pleased to announce that Debian 9.0 "stretch" has entered the final phase of development and is now frozen.
Britney will no longer migrate packages automatically. All migrations will require an explicit unblock from the Release Team."

So, it looks like the end of the long wait is near. It can still take a long time, especially when they find something serious, but let's all hope that Stretch will be released soon so SolydXK can have a new release soon as well.

palimmo

Re: One step further

Postby palimmo » 06 Feb 2017 20:24

I hope to see a default style/theme change in SolydXK with the new release.
The distro is great but so far honestly is the appereance very poor and not particularly nice... And that's a pity!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 06 Feb 2017 20:43

palimmo wrote:I hope to see a default style/theme change in SolydXK with the new release.
The distro is great but so far honestly is the appereance very poor and not particularly nice... And that's a pity!
What do you use, SolydX or SolydK, and which theme are you using?
What would you like to use?

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 07 Feb 2017 13:55

SolydForEver wrote:
palimmo wrote:I hope to see a default style/theme change in SolydXK with the new release.
What do you use, SolydX or SolydK, and which theme are you using?
What would you like to use?
I (proudly) use SolydK.
There's not so much difference between X and K: the themes are similar and, as I said, they need imho a deep restyling... :roll:
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Zill

Postby Zill » 07 Feb 2017 14:34

palimmo wrote:There's not so much difference between X and K: the themes are similar and, as I said, they need imho a deep restyling... :roll:
The SolydXK themes look fine to me! However, theming is, of course, subjective and every user has their own views on what looks "poor" and what looks "fine".

The whole point about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) is that we are all free to change anything we like (or don't like!).

On this basis, please produce your own theme and then publish details on these forums. This will allow other SolydXK users to try your "improved" theme and offer some feedback.

p.s. It is, IMHO, unreasonable to expect someone else to produce a theme complying with your personal requirements as this is such a subjective matter.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Feb 2017 15:30

IIRC the current theme on plasma didn't work well. the team would be gladly accept any suggestion for a new plasma theme. though, keep on mind that the team also want to achieve similar looks between K and X. it was the main reason why did they choose the current theme. if you could suggest a theme which will work on both K and X, I think they'll consider it.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 07 Feb 2017 16:29

For example Manjaro offers a kde and a xfce distribution that have very similar (and nice) themes. Linux Mint as well and so many others.

Personally I have the standard SolydK theme with only minor changes. It's ok but I suggest somehow to give a new and fresh look to the distro (for example we could try to abandon the gray as standard and predominant color for the window background. It's so sad and Win'95 looking :lol: ).
Our forum is mostly white. Polish and nice. That could be a good start point. Or a dark theme.. why not! :P
Proud user of SolydK!

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Feb 2017 22:47

Please no dark theme. Dark is un-ergonomic and thus (in europe) forbidden on workplaces in an business environment. According to ISO (too lazy to look up number) the background has to be a light color. I know you can change themes but the distro should be suitable for workplace ootb.

Which themes do Mint and Manjaro use?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 09 Feb 2017 01:40

AFAIK mint is using new mint y theme which has dark accent on it (the theme isn't dark but you can trace some dark element on it). I don't know about manjaro but IIRC it wasn't a dark theme. that was long time ago so they might have changed it. the trend seems have moved from dark theme to flat and colorfull theme. we still can see dark elements in the theme on it but it mixed with colorfull elements and warm colors.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 09 Feb 2017 05:09

ilu wrote:Please no dark theme. Dark is un-ergonomic and thus (in europe) forbidden on workplaces in an business environment. According to ISO (too lazy to look up number) the background has to be a light color. I know you can change themes but the distro should be suitable for workplace ootb.

Which themes do Mint and Manjaro use?
Manjaro has switched to a theme called Breath, at least for the KDE variant and if I am not mistaken also for some others. Breath is available in both light and dark. See some pictures in their forum here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/breath-befo ... 5/13118/16

docke

Postby docke » 09 Feb 2017 07:04

Just my two cents about the theme.
By default this distribution looks unbearable, and it is because of a low contrast with icons, text, and the theme itself.
However on the side of reliability is 110% solid rock.

And of course I have been tinkering with the theme.

By the way. Thank you Schoelje.

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Feb 2017 07:37

Parts of the Manjaro theme are dark.

Actually it's somewhere in DIN EN ISO 9241 - I can't check for myself because you have to buy the damned thing, I rely on what our regulatory administrations say (which is binding anyway). The requirement is that the display has to be positive, i.e. dark on light. Of course the contrast should be good too. And the display (and every other hardware) itself can't be black ... that's where all the office gray comes from.

Return to “Testing Zone”