Thunderbird and web links

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xendistar

Thunderbird and web links

Postby xendistar » 07 Apr 2018 09:20

I know this has been posted on here in the past (in the main section not the Testing section) but I have failed to find the relevant thread and google is not offering me anything helpful

The issue is, if I have a web link in an email opened in Thunderbird, clicking on it does not open a relevant web browser page, in fact nothing happens. I have checked the setting in XFCE and the default web browser is Firefox and email client is Thunderbird. I have checked Thunderbird and the default application for http and https is Firefox.

I am running SolydX 64EE, Firefox is version 59.0.2 and Thunderbird is 52.7.0, can anybody point me to the old thread or offer a solution

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird and web links

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Apr 2018 09:29

I think this is the same discussion: viewtopic.php?t=7227

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 07 Apr 2018 11:43

No it is not that thread, it was a thread from a while ago but I can't find it.

I have made a bit of headway, if I start thunderbird via terminal cli and then click on a link in an email I get the following message in the terminal

Code: Select all

** (thunderbird:3490): WARNING **: 12:29:04.258: Could not launch default application for URI: Failed to execute child process “/opt/firefox/firefox” (Permission denied)
There is a symlink in /usr/bin called firefox which points to /opt/firefox/firefox and I tried pointing thunderbird at the but that made no difference

Code: Select all

network.protocol-handler.app.		http;/usr/bin/firefox

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 07 Apr 2018 16:02

I had the same problem what I did was purge Thunderbird and all related files then reinstalled with a new profile and Thunderbird now opens web links in the mail client and bamboo.

Of course you want to back up all your data first.

If the issue is still happening you can open the default browser manually and the link will be there for you.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 07 Apr 2018 16:44

I have that as my last resort but I will try and resolve it first though.

Will keep the post updated as I find thing and hopefully a resolution

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Apr 2018 16:56

Make sure that FF is your default browser (in FF itself and your system's default web browser).

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 07 Apr 2018 17:59

Firefox is the default broswer in XFCE settings and it say that it is the default browser

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 08 Apr 2018 10:20

I installed Google Chrome and set that as the default browser in Thunderbird and it will open web links in email in chrome without an issue so is the problem linked to the permission denied I see when I select the firefox browser (as thunderbirds default browser) and then try to open a web link?

What should the permission be on the symlink (which points to /opt/firefox/firefox) in /usr/bin/firefox and what should the permissions be in /opt/firefox/firefox ??

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 06 Jun 2018 20:45

Thought I would post an update on this issue as it has become more prominent at the moment (have lots of web links to open from email). The only way I have got any consistency in opening a link in email is to set Thuderbird to ask and then select Google Chrome and it seem to work as you would expect. Setting it to Firefox, Firefox-bin or choosing the path myself to /oipt/firefox/firefox just fails to work.

I setup a new profile in thunderbird and setup an email account but the results were the same Thunderbird refused to open anything in Firefox. I have now run out of patiences trying to sort it so I will leave it for now and maybe come back to it in a few weeks, at least I have a workable work around.

Return to “Testing zone”