Power Manager issues

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
ilu

Re: Power Manager issues

Postby ilu » 24 Aug 2018 19:46

You should be able to install solydxk-system with synaptic or with apt - I'm not sure why you don't have it, since I'm on stable and I have it. Kurotsugi do you have it?

I would like to see a screenshot of your energy options settings (general, system, screen and security tab) - or some other way we can compare which slider/option is set to what - just to see that we are on the same boat while testing.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 24 Aug 2018 20:07

OK did an apt-get install to install solydxk-system

Code: Select all

mit@andora:~$ sudo apt-get install solydxk-system
[sudo] password for mit: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  cryptsetup cryptsetup-initramfs cryptsetup-run haveged libblockdev-crypto2 libblockdev-fs2
  libblockdev-loop2 libblockdev-part-err2 libblockdev-part2 libblockdev-swap2 libblockdev-utils2
  libblockdev2 libhavege1 libvolume-key1 python3-dateutil udisks2
Suggested packages:
  f2fs-tools mdadm libblockdev-mdraid2 nilfs-tools reiserfsprogs xfsprogs udftools udisks2-btrfs
  udisks2-lvm2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cryptsetup cryptsetup-initramfs cryptsetup-run haveged libblockdev-crypto2 libblockdev-fs2
  libblockdev-loop2 libblockdev-part-err2 libblockdev-part2 libblockdev-swap2 libblockdev-utils2
  libblockdev2 libhavege1 libvolume-key1 python3-dateutil solydxk-system udisks2
0 upgraded, 17 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 1,801 kB of archives.
After this operation, 6,725 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
When it had finished installing I got this error

W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (85 vs 89).
   Affected packages: solydx-system-adjustments-10:amd64
Can anybody that has installed the 082018 EE solydX confirm they have the solydxk-system installed??

I will post back shortly ilu with the info you wanted.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 24 Aug 2018 20:27

Attached should be one image with the four screen shots of the Power Manager settings

Also just for sanity sake, below is my source list

deb https://repository.solydxk.com/ solydxk-ee main upstream import
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
#deb https://repository.solydxk.com solydxk-10 main upstream import testing
The bottom line is the one Arjen asked me to add which I have now commented it out
Attachments
pm-screenshots.jpg

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 24 Aug 2018 20:41

xendistar wrote:
24 Aug 2018 16:15
When I first installed SolydX, the monitor would switch off after 15 minutes using the XFCE Power Management (Display) tab and setting the Blank to 15 minutes, put to sleep never, switch off after to never. This worked for a couple of day until I rebooted the PC (this PC runs 24\7) upon rebooting the PC, the monitor was never blanked despite the setting still being the same.
This is something I have often seen over the years of running Debian Testing. Some package changes and suddenly the screensaver behaves differently. Then a couple of weeks/months later, without warning, the old behaviour is back or it has changed in some other way. I've given up trying to figure out exactly what/why/how. It's just one of those things you get when you run Testing.

My machine is also on 24/7, but I've just rebooted because of the new kernel. I'll watch the screensaver behaviour and let you know if I see something similar, so we can try to figure it out. It's been working properly since the previous reboot.
I am not sure why I have no solydxk-system as I simply did a normal install, I assume it is part of the normal install?
It is. It's in all the ISO build structures. I'll do another install this weekend to see if anything weird happens.
Attached should be one image with the four screen shots of the Power Manager settings
Mine looks similar, but the bottom left one has all three options set to 15 minutes.
Also just for sanity sake, below is my source list
You really don't want that bottom line at all (you certainly don't want them active at the same time or you might get confusing warnings during updating). If you need to add the testing section, just add it to the top line.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 24 Aug 2018 20:48

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
24 Aug 2018 17:37
...(but they will be reinstalled if there is consensus on keeping them)...
If "enabled-suspend.pkla" does what I think it does (and what xendistar wrote suggests it does), I definitely do not want it.
Frank

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Aug 2018 20:54

My Power Manager setting on the system tab is "Bereitschaft" after 1 h. I don't think that's "suspend" but the other option - what's it called in english? I haven't had any issues with the system going into complete sleep. Try changing that.

On the display tab I have 10 min - 20 min - never. Security settings are the same.

I installed from testing and will report what happens after inactivity later on (I can't afford to be inactive now).

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 24 Aug 2018 21:43

Grizzler

I don't have a screensaver, there was a discussion about xscreensaver on the forum about a year ago about how old the package was (has it been updated or is there another option?) and from that point on I stopped using it and just set Power Management to blank the monitor after X minutes.

ilu

Bereitschaft mean standby in English I don't want my PC to go to sleep or suspend, I want my PC to be on but I want the monitor to be blanked if I move away from my desk which was what it did do.

What I have done for now it to remove all the line from the enable-suspend.pkla file and I will see what happen now (I rebooted once I had removed all the lines).

Any ideas about this error:

W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (85 vs 89).
   Affected packages: solydx-system-adjustments-10:amd64

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 24 Aug 2018 22:05

I'm using the tweak for quite a time and I got no issues. the screen turned off then the system goes to sleep as it should. without the tweak the screen will turned off but it doesn't goes to sleep, but instead it will show warning that something need additional privilege to suspend my system.

anyway, turning off the screen and suspend IMO is a separate matter. we might need to address these two problem as different issues.

@xendistar: if you don't want to sleep, on the power manager setting, display tab, set "put to sleep after" to "never". the "blank after" setting should be turned on. if anything is right, your display will turned off after for a while but never goes to sleep.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 24 Aug 2018 22:12

As you can see (attached image), Put to sleep after is set to never

Are you saying that the option "switch off after" should be set to X minutes? I took this to mean switch the PC off, but are you saying that it means switch the monitor off? (for the record I have set it to five minutes so hopefully I will find out by some time tomorrow morning)

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Aug 2018 04:54

xendistar wrote:
24 Aug 2018 21:43
I don't want my PC to go to sleep or suspend, I want my PC to be on but I want the monitor to be blanked if I move away from my desk which was what it did do.
"Standby" is neither "sleep" nor "suspend". I just tested with package from testing and the settings I described above - after being away for a longer period the monitor was black and after pressing a key the screen came back, now without any password.
Choosing suspend like you did obviously still means "suspend" sooner or later even if you set it to never (looks like a bug). Change this to "standby" and try again.
grizzler wrote: If "enabled-suspend.pkla" does what I think it does (and what xendistar wrote suggests it does), I definitely do not want it.
I'm not sure what you think it does. For me now everything looks good. No unwanted suspend with my settings. I will now check the lock screen tickbox again on the security tab and see whether this is also fixed.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Aug 2018 08:27

I see that opinion is divided on enable-suspend but there's no discussion about password-less-mounting :D

Does this mean that I need to remove enable-suspend and keep password-less-mounting or do you prefer to test it a bit more?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 25 Aug 2018 12:09

grizzler wrote:
24 Aug 2018 20:41
xendistar wrote:I am not sure why I have no solydxk-system as I simply did a normal install, I assume it is part of the normal install?
It is. It's in all the ISO build structures. I'll do another install this weekend to see if anything weird happens.
Used a different approach and ran an apt purge simulation for all the files listed in filesystem.packages-remove. Found the culprit. Details in the "Community ISO maintenance and build issues"-thread: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 839#p68839
Frank

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 25 Aug 2018 12:21

Morning all

After playing with bits last night and again early this morning I now seem to have the monitor going blank when I leave it alone and then when I come back to the PC and move the mouse of hit the keyboard a second or so later everything is back and working as it was.

As to the reason why I am not a 100% sure, certainly after ilu comment about the third option on the power management display tab, "Switch off after" was set to never as can be seen in an earlier post but setting this option with a value (X minutes) seem to turn the monitor off, not in a physical sense but stop sending data to it. A part from the fact that I never set a value in there before because my brain reasoned that "Switch off after" meant that the monitor would "Blank after"12 minutes and if there remained no input (keyboard or mouse) from the user it would then"Switch off after" (switching off the PC) a further 12 minutes (hope that make sense).

In regards to Arjen thoughts about adding the suspend option by default (working out the box) I would say no, add it if you can do so in a disabled mode either no details in the enable-suspend.pkla file or the lines are commented out and a script runs and asks the user if they would like to activate suspend mode and if they say yes the script runs and either adds the lines or uncomment them so the suspend mode becomes active.

In regards to Passwordless mounting, can it be offered as a option, "Tick this box and we will not ask you in future for a password to access your USB memory stick when you plug it in"?

Thanks for all the help in sorting out this power management issue.

Tim

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Aug 2018 14:43

I tested the "login required after sleep" checkbox and it works as expected.

Arjen: I'd say with the changes from testing everything works as expected on stable, so I'm with kurotsugi on this: keep the enable-suspend. We just need to make "standby" the default on system tab and need to communicate that change.

I'm confident it will work as expected on EE as well with my setting on "standby" instead of "suspend" but since xendistar did not test it we can't be sure. It seems to work ok for kurotsugi so why not for everybody else? grizzler or maybe san-claudio, could you please test enable-suspend.pkla with "standby" on the system tab?

Regarding the password-less mount we had a thread demanding this some time ago. This one: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 89&p=62498. We decided against it for safety reasons which are still valid IMHO. But the password-less mount seems to solve the double-password-needed-after-sleep problem so I'm kind of undecided. Isn't there a way to remove the password requirement just for power manager? I need to manually remove the file and test again.

Edit: Actually, manual mounting still needs a password on my system. So all is well with both changes. Obviously, you can't determine functionality just by reading the code. Both policy settings don't do what you think they do. :?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Aug 2018 15:44

I can only choose between "Suspend" and "Hybernate". I suppose that's what you meant?

That means that we need to add this file to the solydx-system-adjustments packages:

/etc/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <channel name="xfce4-power-manager" version="1.0">
    <property name="xfce4-power-manager" type="empty">
    <property name="power-button-action" type="empty"/>
    <property name="inactivity-sleep-mode-on-ac" type="uint" value="2"/>
  </property>
</channel>
and, like ilu said, warn users of the change and that they manually have to change this setting. That won't prevent users of missing the notification but that's the way it is.

Do we need some additional configruation for SolydK?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 25 Aug 2018 15:48

I don't know if the issue was with my PC or I just did not know how to do it properly, but how do you get your PC out of suspended mode?

Everytime my PC went into suspended mode I had to reboot the PC, know amount of keyboard tapping singularly or in combination would bring the PC back to life.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 25 Aug 2018 16:28

ilu wrote:
25 Aug 2018 14:43
grizzler or maybe san-claudio, could you please test enable-suspend.pkla with "standby" on the system tab?
Nope. No swap partition, so nothing to suspend to. I have never used suspend or hybernate and that's not going to change.
And considering the sorry state the newly built EE ISOs are in *), I'm not in the mood to test something I have no experience with and which could possibly create a mess on my main system.

*) I'll provide details elsewhere
Frank

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Aug 2018 17:35

Huh? I said several times that I'm talking about deactivating suspend in the settings by changing to standby. But still every answer I get is about suspend ... I'm asking to test standby which is not suspend and not hibernate either. And which does exactly nothing if you choose "never" - it just helped fixing the bug for me. I also can't see how changing this setting might screw up your system.

Well, anyway, Arjen, those 2 files in testing are good for my stable desktop. I'll test on my notebook on Monday. Maybe somebody else could also test them. Whatever happens to EE, I'm out of it.

Edit: Sorry grizzler, I had a hard day. You probably too.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 26 Aug 2018 01:24

my tweak is similar but slightly different

Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.xfce.power.xfce4-pm-helper
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes
for the sake of simplicity I give any user to suspend my system.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 27 Aug 2018 00:23

UPDATE
after the latest kernel update my system seems broken. the screen turned off as expected but it didn't gives any response when I tried to wake it up. the workaround is by using another tty to trigger the screen. liquorix kernel behave similarly too so I'm not sure whether if it really the kernel or something related to it.

Return to “Testing zone”