[Solved] Tidy up my boot

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xendistar

[Solved] Tidy up my boot

Postby xendistar » 04 Sep 2018 21:27

I had a problem booting my PC earlier and I used the grub rescue disk to help resolve the issue and everything is now booting. But what I noticed when I used the grub rescue disk it showed a few distros I had tried in the past and have since deleted. If I look in:

Code: Select all

mit@andora:/boot/efi/EFI$ ls
BOOT  kali  solydx  sparky  ubuntu
In each of the folders kali, sparky & ubuntu there are files for example (ubuntu has the most):

Code: Select all

mit@andora:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$ ls
BOOTX64.CSV  fw  fwupx64.efi  grub.cfg  grubx64.efi  mmx64.efi  shimx64.efi
Can I simply delete these folders and files? Do I need to run some form of grub update after deleting them (obviously I will be keeping the solydx folder)?

For the record I have 3 hard disks installed running solydx EE 64) sda ( root, home, swap and efi), sdb (un-partitioned) & sdc Backup drive

kurotsugi

Re: Tidy up my boot

Postby kurotsugi » 05 Sep 2018 10:14

assuming that you follow the default partitioning scheme (500 - 1000 MiB), you'll not running up the space in the boot partition soon. EFI works differently than the older system. in older system all the system will be managed under grub. however, in EFI all the OS is managed directly from the motherboad firmware (BIOS). AFAIK there's no difference whether if you delete those file or not.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 05 Sep 2018 10:18

Thanks Kurotsugi, it was not a space issue, just a little disconcerting when you know you have removed those distro and then you boot from the grub rescue disk and you see them all listed when you search for installed distros. I will look at deleting them later and then boot from the rescue disk and see what it says

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 07 Sep 2018 09:42

Well I can report that moving the three folders has not affected the system and when I booted with the grub rescue cd there was only the one distro (SolydX EE) listed.

Return to “Testing Zone”