Which Kernal and which Firefox are defaults.

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
deffi

Which Kernal and which Firefox are defaults.

Postby deffi » 07 Sep 2018 10:41

Returned from holiday and updated my computer. Something destroyed my system/task panel in both Solydkee and Debian Testing. I managed to repair the Debian by reinstalling but none of my Solydkee isos would install until I used the 2018_09 iso. I now have both working but on comparing the two installations, I found that Debian was installed with kernal 4.17 and Solydkee with 4.14. I checked using Synaptic and found that both 4.17 and 4.14 were installed but 4.17 choice did not show in grub. Which is the correct one for Solydkee please?

Sometime ago there was an update to standard firefox and I did not like it and it appeared not to function well. I reinstalled firefox esr. I noted on my fresh installation the the standard firefox was installed. Which is the default standard or esr?

grizzler

Re: Which Kernal and which Firefox are defaults.

Postby grizzler » 07 Sep 2018 12:55

The current SolydK EE ISO only has one kernel: 4.17.0-3. Odd that 4.14 shows up in the GRUB menu, as this isn't even on the ISO. Did you run sudo update-grub to try to fix that?

All Community Edition ISOs have the standard version of Firefox. The main ISO has the ESR.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

deffi

Postby deffi » 07 Sep 2018 16:35

I always update grub after changes as I control grub from SolydK-9. I have already corrected Firefox to ESR. I will now investigate and upgrade the kernal. Thanks

deffi

Postby deffi » 07 Sep 2018 17:22

I have reinstalled the linux 4.17 files and updated grub. The grub entry now uses 4.17 and info shows that the kernel is 4.17.

Thanks because I use Solydkee as my main OS since its conception.

Return to “Testing zone”