Jumping in EE wagon !

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
silopolis

Jumping in EE wagon !

Postby silopolis » 25 Oct 2018 17:43

Hi friends,

First, a much deserved deep and sincere thank you for this nice and, well, solid (!) Debian based KDE desktop running my laptop for years without a hitch, upgrading from a release to the next without never reinstalling. You're really doing an amazing and valuable work :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, after having switched to stable with v8, or was it v9, pressed by the desire to follow FreeCAD's development, I wanted to go back to EE/testing. I have setup my repositories and raised "testing" priority to 500, like solydxk which, as an afterthought, I may had better set to 400 to leave SolydXK its priority :/

Then ran an apt-get upgrade that went gently, followed by an apt-get dist-upgrade which returned errors.

As I've forgotten to redirect error, I don't have them in my log but, as there where some, I decided to run the dist-ugrade again:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
apt-get: relocation error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libapt-private.so.0.0: symbol _ZN3URIcvNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEEB5cxx11Ev version APTPKG_5.0 not defined in file libapt-pkg.so.5.0 with link time reference
Bad smell !
Tried to diagnose a little but as everything was starting to go south, certainly due to libs upgrade, I decided to reboot my machine... which is now finaly broken !!!

After a short diag, plymouth, lightdm, solydxk-system-adjust and solydxk-system-aptupdate, and nmbd can't start and NetworkManager doesn't reconnect to my wireless network :/
Logs as well as services status are not of much help except solydxk-system-adjust on Python error "No module named 'apt_pkg'"

Here, I'm stuck and any help would be gladly appreciated

Have a good evening
Jeremie

kurotsugi

Re: Jumping in EE wagon !

Postby kurotsugi » 26 Oct 2018 12:03

the main reason would be because the migration route isn't ready yet. the best time for migration would be during freeze period. any migration attempt outside the freeze period will have relatively high breakage risk. that's why our recommended way to get into EE is either using the EE iso or solyd-fying a debian testing.

I'm afraid reinstall is the only way to revive your system.

btw, plasma got lot of problem in testing. the current plasma might be usable but you might still found some nasty bug on testing. if you really want to use EE version, you might want to consider having a second DE or using a stable DE entirely

silopolis

Postby silopolis » 28 Oct 2018 08:26

Hi,

First, thank you for taking time to answer, really appreciated in these moments.
kurotsugi wrote:
26 Oct 2018 12:03
the main reason would be because the migration route isn't ready yet. the best time for migration would be during freeze period. any migration attempt outside the freeze period will have relatively high breakage risk. that's why our recommended way to get into EE is either using the EE iso or solyd-fying a debian testing.

I'm afraid reinstall is the only way to revive your system.
Well, after 5h+ of dpkg cherry picking broken packages to repair the system up to the point apt was fixed and I could invoke its magic. Man, Python, Perl, apt... was broken and 1000+ packages unconfigured or not upgraded, this was such a mess. In the end, I was very lucky this system still booted because I finally managed to fix it!

btw, plasma got lot of problem in testing. the current plasma might be usable but you might still found some nasty bug on testing. if you really want to use EE version, you might want to consider having a second DE or using a stable DE entirely
OK, thanks for these warnings and advices, I'll try to keep this install usable and will consider creating another stable one.

Have a nice sunday
Cheers

PS: Irony of all this is that now both FreeCAD stable and daily are broken and have to fix this...

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Oct 2018 10:46

the most common mistake is a misconfigured repo setting, which will ended with mixed stable-testing system. the safest approach would be keeping the repo with default priority and let apt do the job. solydxk actually doesn't need higher priority since it's a standalone repo. fixing such a mixed system would be very hard, or even almost impossible.

btw, as a general tips, do a backup before doing a major thing. having a regular (perhaps weekly) is a good thing if you're an EE user.

I hope you didn't have a mixed system. in a case where the upgrade failed these command sometimes helps to revive the system

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -a --configure
#this one is for fixing missing dependencies
sudo apt-get -f install
#just to make sure everything is ok
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Return to “Testing Zone”