Testing ISOs 201901

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
ilu

Re: Testing ISOs 201901

Postby ilu » 06 Feb 2019 17:02

Everything worked well, new installer included. I have to amend, only on one laptop. The second laptop, that also has Win8, doesn't boot into SolydXEE (encrypted with separate /boot) - only the previously installed SolydX8 or win8 boot. It seems that the efi doesn't find the correct boot partition. Probably not an installer issue, but I'm still debugging.
Solved: It was an issue with the UEFI firmware.

As a sidenote: I would recommend to not have flash tagged by default in SolydXK Welcome. It should have a warning not to install it instead.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 15 Feb 2019 15:59

This is about the installer rather than the ISOs as a whole, but the installer is an essential part, so I thought it best to mention this here.

A couple of weeks ago I did a somewhat unusual installation on a friend's machine and things went a bit weird. I figured that was because of the unusual setup and forgot about it.
Then I needed some way to uniquely identify installations and the file /etc/machine-id seemed made for that (it is). Imagine my surprise when all systems I installed SolydX on had the same machine-id...

Check the machine-id man page and this stackexchange thread:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... machine-id
The machine-id should be recreated during installation. Looking at the installer's source code, I can't seem to find anything doing that.

Another bit of installer weirdness is grub. I needed installations without their own grub, so I selected not to install it. Yet there were still a bunch of grub files in /boot/grub, even a grub.cfg. I replayed that in a VM. See the terminal output in the attached zip.

Also, are you sure the bits in localizePref in the installer's localize.py file are up to date?
Attachments
terminal.zip
(9.23 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Feb 2019 14:51

I'm working on that now.

If Grub mustn't be installed, do I have to purge these from the system?

Code: Select all

grub-common
grub-efi-amd64
grub-efi-amd64-bin
grub-efi-ia32-bin
grub-pc-bin
grub2-common
Machine ID is generated like this:

rm -f /etc/machine-id; dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/etc/machine-id; cp -f /etc/machine-id /var/lib/dbus/
Localizing was a bit more complicated than I thought because we're using distribution.ini now to set default settings for Firefox and Thunderbird when the user starts the application.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Feb 2019 17:04

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
16 Feb 2019 14:51
If Grub mustn't be installed, do I have to purge these from the system?

grub-common
grub-efi-amd64
grub-efi-amd64-bin
grub-efi-ia32-bin
grub-pc-bin
grub2-common
That will also remove usb-creator, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I haven't checked what causes the grub files to appear in /boot/grub, but I suspect it may be grub-common or grub2-common (actually, it seems to be grub-pc...). To be honest, I'm in two minds about this. Maybe just leave it...
Machine ID is generated like this:

rm -f /etc/machine-id; dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/etc/machine-id; cp -f /etc/machine-id /var/lib/dbus/
Actually, /var/lib/dbus/machine-id should be a symlink to /etc/machine-id. When I fixed a couple of the systems I mentioned earlier, I just deleted both files, ran dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/etc/machine-id and left it to systemd to (re)create the symlink at the next boot (which it did).
Localizing was a bit more complicated than I thought because we're using distribution.ini now to set default settings for Firefox and Thunderbird when the user starts the application.
OK. Just checking. By the way, as far as I'm aware both Thunderbird and Firefox now need intl.locale.requested (no contents - empty string means use system default). The old intl.locale.matchOS and general.useragent.locale don't do anything anymore.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Feb 2019 12:50

I think I solved all the issues. I had to update the distribution.ini file as well in the Firefox and Thunderbird adjustments packages. The new live installer is in the repository and I'm building new ISOs now. I'll let you know when I've uploaded the ISOs.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Feb 2019 07:59

All ISOs with the updated live installer are available at: https://downloads.solydxk.com/nightly/

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 19 Feb 2019 09:50

Downloaded. I'll run some tests later.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Feb 2019 17:26

Found a bug in distribution.ini: only the home page for en-US and nl-NL are set but not for any other language, including the German ISO.
I'll update the package as soon as I can.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 23 Feb 2019 16:49

Funny thing I forgot to mention: when localizing your system, deborphan always lists the lightning-l10n-xx packages as orphaned.
I don't know why but I had to adapt the live installer to skip deborphan when cleaning up the new install.

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”