(solved) Firefox Form Background

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xfce

(solved) Firefox Form Background

Postby xfce » 09 Feb 2019 18:37

On 31 Dec 2018 I began useing SolydXee on a new system (hardware not supported in SolydX 9).

I use a local home page to manage my weblinks which also incorporates forms for three search engines. It was curious to see the backgrounds of the form windows colored with the image or color coded as the background in the html.

Yesterday I was testing the new 022019 iso of SolydXee and discovered form window shading has been returned to the traditional white.

However, during the last month I found a workaround to adjust the color of the text entered into the search engine field that serves my contrast sensitivity needs perfectly!

firefox-form.png
firefox-form.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 382 times

Question: Is there a possibility to continue using the "un-corrected" color-scheme into the future? To date, it has not been altered by daily updates to my 122018 iso build.

Thank you.

grizzler

Re: !! Firefox !! -- Form Background -- 02.09.2019

Postby grizzler » 09 Feb 2019 20:36

As far as I'm aware, there have never been deliberate changes to firefox's form field backgrounds in SolydXK themes, so I'm not sure what caused the non-white backgrounds in the first place.

However, if this is a form on a webpage you control yourself, it should be possible to get the desired effect using CSS.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

xfce

Postby xfce » 09 Feb 2019 23:09

Thank you for the insight. Is there a specific area of the CSS directed at firefox? I must admit CSS is a mystery to me at this point - akin to walking on ice. The gtk2 *rc files were a bit more accessible. But I'd like to explore this further (I made a backup of the current theme in use).

As an aside the SolydXee 122018 build has been my daily driver since Dec. 31st. Thanks to all for an amazing product!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 10 Feb 2019 08:13

xfce wrote:
09 Feb 2019 23:09
Thank you for the insight. Is there a specific area of the CSS directed at firefox?
It depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to change the "window furniture" of firefox itself, like the search field top right, you'll have to mess with the userChrome.css file in firefox's profile directory (subdirectory chrome). My experience with this is limited. There is a subreddit FirefoxCSS on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/) dedicated to this.

But you mentioned a local home page with forms. Changing that is simply a matter of adding the right CSS to that page's source.
How did you create this page? Is it an html file created in a text editor or part of a content management system like WordPress?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Feb 2019 08:58

It seems you need to learn how to code :mrgreen: !

To make things easier for you I've created a simple html example:
test.tar.gz
(463 Bytes) Downloaded 10 times
Please, take a good look at this part:

Code: Select all

form input {
    border: 5px solid #3e3b3a;
}
This tells all borders of a form input field to be 5px wide, have a solid style and have the color 3e3b3a.

For in depth information: https://www.w3schools.com/css/

Good luck!

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

xfce

Re: !! SOLVED !! -- Firefox Form Background -- 02.09.2019

Postby xfce » 10 Feb 2019 12:48

Arjen and Frank thank you for the assistance and pointing me to the proper code to examine.

Arjen the code sample was spot on! I can see the light! :D

Return to “Testing Zone”