SolydXK 10 Testing [updated: 31-07-2019]

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
grizzler

Re: SolydXK 10 Testing [updated: 31-07-2019]

Postby grizzler » 12 Sep 2019 10:51

I'll try to find the time to do a full test tomorrow, but I don't expect anything 'release critical' to crop up, so...

Edit 13-09-2019 12:43
Nope. Sorry. Not gonna make it... :(
I made the silly mistake of promising a cousin of mine to 'upgrade' his laptop. Unfortunately, he's a windows user and wants the latest of microsoft's abominations rather than SolydXK. So I've already been fighting this junk for the better part of the day yesterday (kept bombing out of the process with useless error codes) and finally decided the only sane way out of this hell was a clean install. However, this means manually rebuilding his apps and settings setup and by the time I'm done with that, I'll be in need of a weekend...
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Sep 2019 11:05

Please have a look at viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7585&p=71078#p71078 - I'm again hooked on the keyring issue. I think I solved the missing login.keyring problem. After creating the file things work most of the time.

edit: Wake-after-suspend problem, I've opened a separate topic: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7639

Another small issue: On Dell laptops cryptsetup warns: sda4: ignoring unknown option "timeout". No visible problems while running though.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 15 Sep 2019 13:18

Running tests now. Don't have time to fill in the spreadsheet. Some notes in this posting.

SolydK
Started live system in a VBox VM. After menu, still takes several minutes to show up (known issue).
Desktop looks OK.
ID-files (/etc/issue, /etc/lsb-release etcetera) OK.
History clean (root too).
Sources list OK.
According to uname -a, kernel is 4.19.0-5, yet /boot shows 4.19.0-6 is installed as well. So why was -5 the default menu choice? Why two kernels anyway?
Firefox & Thunderbird seem OK.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace works. Logging in again works.
Installing (using terminal, just in case...).
First two lines:

Code: Select all

/etc/live-installer-3/live-installer-3.conf: line 6: --assume-yes: command not found
/etc/live-installer-3/live-installer-3.conf: line 7: --quiet: command not found
Several GTK-warnings (don't you just love the ever moving target of GTK-3...).
Rebooted into installed SolydK.
Menu screen looks odd. Very 'pixelated' text in the actual menu, while the help text near the bottom of the screen looks fine.
Installed GParted and FileZilla on the Welcome screen. Afterwards - that is after the Welcome package confirmed they were installed - moving to the next page made a warning pop up about packages to install (looks like something doesn't get cleared properly). After that, the Welcome screen locked up. Didn't respond to anything. Using killall solydxk-welcome from the terminal seemed to kill the process, but the Welcome page stayed on screen and couldn't be removed.

Checking the rest: nothing special to report.

SolydX
Starting the live system as above. No issues, except for the same kernel oddity.
Firefox opens with three tabs and on the first one, claims that it's out of date. For Mozilla, ESRs don't count, apparently. Missed this when looking at SolydK.

Installing, same as above.
Reboot. Same ugly menu.
Installed Flash on the Welcome screen and got the same superfluous warning afterwards, but this time I closed the warning with the close icon top right and the Welcome application remained responsive. Tried a couple of others (first FileZilla, then GParted - separately). Superfluous warning every time, but no lockup. Must have been a gremlin on SolydK.
Did notice another oddity. When I installed GParted, the 'Installed successfully' message came up immediately and all three option icons on that frame showed up selected. The third item (VirtualBox) had not been installed though, but GParted had. And there's no way it could have been installed in a fraction of a second. Don't know what to make of this...

Firefox didn't claim to be out of date this time.

Checking the rest: nothing special to report. Did check the current/known issues mentioned here and elsewhere - nothing to add.

Terminal logs attached.

Edit
A python alternative? Seriously? I can't believe that's something Debian provided, considering there was a thread on debian-devel about whether this was required or not. That was several years ago, when stretch was testing. At that time, the consensus was that 'python' would never mean anything other than python 2, so no. PEP 394 was very clear about it too, but I see they have more or less accepted several Linux distribution's bad judgement on this and no longer 'dictate' that. Still, Debian hasn't changed its mind, so why do we need it?
Attachments
logs.tar.gz
(19.31 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Sep 2019 16:33

My cable ISP's modem quit on me a five days ago. They will send a new one but until then I cannot do anything at all.
I'll read all posts as soon as I'm online again.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 Sep 2019 16:27

grizzler wrote:
15 Sep 2019 13:18
Firefox opens with three tabs and on the first one, claims that it's out of date. For Mozilla, ESRs don't count, apparently. Missed this when looking at SolydK.
Mozilla is at ESR68, that's why. I hope the annoying popup doesn't make re re-appearance.

And I've seen the same welcome hickups but I thought it was because of some other things I did. There seems to be a regression.

Regarding gparted: we should add it to the standard install. Everybody needs it sooner or later.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 20 Sep 2019 18:49

Looking at /usr/share/doc/lsb-release/README.Debian, I wonder why 'our' /usr/lib/os-release doesn't have VERSION or VERSION_ID.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Sep 2019 20:35

grizzler wrote:
20 Sep 2019 18:49
Looking at /usr/share/doc/lsb-release/README.Debian, I wonder why 'our' /usr/lib/os-release doesn't have VERSION or VERSION_ID.
Because it is provided by base-files and I do not check files provided by packages that I do not maintain myself until somebody asks me to fix something because it is broken and it cannot or will not be fixed upstream.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Sep 2019 20:44

grizzler wrote:
According to uname -a, kernel is 4.19.0-5, yet /boot shows 4.19.0-6 is installed as well. So why was -5 the default menu choice? Why two kernels anyway?
Fixed in new ISOs.
grizzler wrote:
Installing (using terminal, just in case...).
First two lines:

Code: Select all

/etc/live-installer-3/live-installer-3.conf: line 6: --assume-yes: command not found
/etc/live-installer-3/live-installer-3.conf: line 7: --quiet: command not found
Fixed in latest version.
grizzler wrote:
Menu screen looks odd. Very 'pixelated' text in the actual menu, while the help text near the bottom of the screen looks fine.
I do not understand what you mean. I do not see it.
grizzler wrote:
Installed GParted and FileZilla on the Welcome screen. Afterwards - that is after the Welcome package confirmed they were installed - moving to the next page made a warning pop up about packages to install (looks like something doesn't get cleared properly). After that, the Welcome screen locked up. Didn't respond to anything. Using killall solydxk-welcome from the terminal seemed to kill the process, but the Welcome page stayed on screen and couldn't be removed.
Fixed in the latest version.
grizzler wrote:
Did notice another oddity. When I installed GParted, the 'Installed successfully' message came up immediately and all three option icons on that frame showed up selected. The third item (VirtualBox) had not been installed though, but GParted had. And there's no way it could have been installed in a fraction of a second. Don't know what to make of this...
Fixed in latest version.
grizzler wrote:
A python alternative? Seriously? I can't believe that's something Debian provided, considering there was a thread on debian-devel about whether this was required or not. That was several years ago, when stretch was testing. At that time, the consensus was that 'python' would never mean anything other than python 2, so no. PEP 394 was very clear about it too, but I see they have more or less accepted several Linux distribution's bad judgement on this and no longer 'dictate' that. Still, Debian hasn't changed its mind, so why do we need it?
Seriously, I do not remember all code I made. When I build something it makes sense on that moment. That can change but I will not remember that I made it nor what was the reason.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Sep 2019 14:23

I found some bugs:
Failed to load module crypto: cannot open shared object file
The same error for mdraid.

After installing libblockdev-crypto2 and libblockdev-mdraid2 the error messages were gone as suggested here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1757321
Unable to find a medium containing a live system
This ended in a initramfs prompt.
Using dd instead of booting from ISO solved this for me. It was also suggested to switch USB2/USB3 ports or use another pen drive.
pstore: crypto_comp_decompress failed
This is a known bug and it doesn't seem to affect the system: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=902966
Process '/usr/sbin/alsactl -E HOME=/run/alsa restore 0' failed with exit code 99
This is also a known bug and can be ignored because on a first boot (or live session) the audio hardware is not yet known: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=848395

I just finished uploading the fixed ISOs.

I will release these asap if you're ok with that.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 27 Sep 2019 11:11

Suddenly everybody wants me to help with their Win7 to Win10 'upgrades'! Bloody waste of time!

Sorry about that. Been a very frustrating week. I'll take another look at the ISOs tomorrow.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 Sep 2019 13:17

Ah well, that's how things go.
Don't bother with the ISOs. I had a little time today. So, I've uploaded them this afternoon and I hope to make the announcement tonight or tomorrow.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 27 Sep 2019 14:18

OK. I'll build some CE ISOs instead.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 28 Sep 2019 12:43

Maybe you should take a look at /etc/pulse/daemon.conf in the ISOs. I think one 'flat-volumes = no' is enough.
My script doesn't add lines, but changes the '; flat-volumes = yes' line higher up in that file and warns if the file is changed later...
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Sep 2019 18:26

Fixed in solydxk-system

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing Zone”