Upstream in /opt

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Upstream in /opt

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Jun 2019 13:50

The upstram packages for Adobe Flash and Firefox are now installed in /opt.

Now, that I'm packaging according to Debian policy, lintian bugs me with the message that installing in /opt is discouraged.

If we were to move those directories, where would be best?

I see that the latest build of FF is in sid. So, we would need to consider that as well.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Re: Upstream in /opt

Postby ilu » 16 Jun 2019 15:06

lintian bugs me with the message that installing in /opt is discouraged
I think that is because lintian checks packages from debians point of view: if it's a debian package for debian systems it should not be in /opt. But our situation is different because we are not debian itself but a derivative. So I still think /opt is correct. But I'll ask.

Answer: If dpkg is used, it should not got into /opt but in the usual location - probably /usr? But its our prerogative to decide. personally, I like having browsers in /opt because it's a one-stop-shop for the changes I administer :-)

On another note: Could you post your packaging workflow? At least in the maintainers section?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Jun 2019 15:51

ilu wrote:
16 Jun 2019 15:06
On another note: Could you post your packaging workflow? At least in the maintainers section?
I will, as soon as I've done all packages. Hopefully before we release the new ISOs but certainly after the summer holidays.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 Jun 2019 21:24

I'm not sure if there're a consensus about where to put something inside the system. everything seems to be based on practicality, i.e : do whatever easy for you. /opt is mostly used in situation when you don't know/don't want to know whatever structure inside your /directory. simply throw everything there and you'll got easy install/uninstall stuffs.

if you prefer using /usr or something else, you'll need to differentiate between the binary, the libs, the config and the additional stuffs since they belong to different directory. you'll also need to remember all of them to get clean uninstall.

Return to “Testing Zone”