Freezing, Apt and SSH issues

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
xendistar

Freezing, Apt and SSH issues

Postby xendistar » 27 Jul 2019 08:56

Morning all

Sorry to bug you all but I have 3 problems which I would like help resolving, two of them have come to light while trying to resolve the third.

I will start with the easy one first, can anybody confirm that openssh-server is being held back, when I try to install from the command line I get the follow:

Code: Select all

mit@aura:~$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package openssh-server is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'openssh-server' has no installation candidate
2nd Problem, if I got into synaptics to look for openssh-server, synaptics is only showing packages that are currently installed even when I look under the All. If I looked under the uninstalled it lists about 9 packages. Synaptic was OK last night when I ran it and installed the (then) current updates the PC has been rebooted since. I did check that there was nothing downloaded that said synaptic which there was not, not sure is any synaptic dependable files were upgraded or not. I rarely look at or change any of the settings in synaptic so I am not sure what is going on.

If I run apt from the command line it seems to be working OK, I do not get any errors:

mit@aura:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for mit: 
Hit:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing InRelease
Ign:2 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease                                       
Hit:3 https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stretch InRelease                             
Hit:4 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release                                         
Get:5 https://repository.solydxk.com solydxk-ee InRelease [15.3 kB]             
Get:7 https://repository.solydxk.com solydxk-ee/main i386 Packages [12.9 kB]
Get:8 https://repository.solydxk.com solydxk-ee/main amd64 Packages [13.1 kB]
Fetched 41.4 kB in 1s (55.9 kB/s)    
Reading package lists... Done
3rd Problem, This is a fresh install of EE which was installed on Wednesday. But every now and again the PC will just cease to respond, the GKrellm monitor will show CPU, disk and network activity, cpu is normal <1% when the system does not respond. I can click on something but when they open they just freeze and I can no longer click on them, my only option is to push the button on the front of the PC (this is why I want to install SSH server so that I can connect to the PC from another PC and see if I can either free up what is causing the issue or bring the PC down in a controlled manner). I will be looking through the logs later (SWMBO and shopping awaits) but anybody have any suggestions what to look for?

grizzler

Re: Freezing, Apt and SSH issues

Postby grizzler » 27 Jul 2019 12:20

To start with the last one: no idea, sorry. I've recently installed a number of SolydX EEs with no issues afterwards. Is this on a machine which has had an EE installed before? What does inxi tell you about it?

The other two issues sound like a temporary glitch to me. Maybe a packages file that wasn't available? Could you try again? Synaptic should show thousands of uninstalled packages and openssh-server should be one of them.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 27 Jul 2019 12:56

an apt reset should fix 1 and 2 (comment all repo entry, do an apt-get update, uncomment the repos, do an apt-get update once more). no ideas about 3. it could be the dreaded random freeze on intel chips but I rarely see this issue anymore. the sympton seems different too. a quick shot would installing liquorix kernel

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 27 Jul 2019 14:47

Thanks Kurotsgui that sorted my synaptic problems, that all back and running ok now.

I checked with synaptic and that allowed me to install openssh-server, not sure why apt on the command line stopped me (I did an apt cache search to check the package name but when I tried to install it said the package was not available).

On to the third issue, the only issue I found when looking at the logs files was this one in the .xsession-errors:

[2564:2622:0727/134001.947891:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(619)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit.UnInhibit: object_path= /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Inhibit: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.PowerManagement was not provided by any .service files

[2564:2622:0727/134001.947929:ERROR:power_save_blocker_x11.cc(403)] No response to Uninhibit() request!
I have this error repeated 100's of times.

I found a couple of logs where I can see I restarted the PC at 09:01 this morning but there was nothing listed prior to that time that indicated any issues.

The PC ran for a long time 24\7 with a different OS with long period of not being logged onto so I am happy that the PC is OK hardware wise.

PC specs:

mit@aura:~$ sudo inxi -b
System:    Host: aura Kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 Distro: SolydX EE 10 64-bit 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: FUJITSU product: CELSIUS W410 v: N/A serial: YL8A056262 
           	Mobo: FUJITSU model: D3062-A1 v: S26361-D3062-A1 serial: B20F6047 BIOS: FUJITSU // American Megatrends 
           	v: 4.6.4.0 R1.21.0 for D3062-A1x date: 01/24/2012 
CPU:       Quad Core: Intel Core i7-2600 type: MT MCP speed: 1597 MHz min/max: 1600/3800 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           	Display: server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
           	OpenGL: renderer: NV106 v: 4.3 Mesa 18.3.6 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network driver: e1000e 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.25 TiB used: 144.14 GiB (11.3%) 
Info:      Processes: 269 Uptime: 6h 40m Memory: 19.55 GiB used: 3.20 GiB (16.4%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.35 

ilu

Postby ilu » 27 Jul 2019 20:17

What programs were open? Firefox? Chrome? What else? What came before those error lines? Look up the line immediately after the preceding blank line, it might say which component reported the error. Or it might not. Everyone, their mother and up to third cousin writes into xsession.errors. If you have browser addons the log usually gets flooded. Trying to fix those errors is a work for Sisyphos.

What do these commands say?

dmesg |grep ERROR
journalctl |grep ERROR

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 27 Jul 2019 21:56

The last line listed in the message log is as follows:

Jul 27 08:27:22 aura kernel: [56469.097218] perf: interrupt took too long (3235 > 3207), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 61750
The line prior to this line was timed at 06:06

Programs running at the time were, Evolution Email, Keepass and Brave Browser (with 6 tabs open, nothing pulling any CPU or memory usage)

The output from the commands you posted:

mit@aura:~$ sudo dmesg | grep ERROR
[sudo] password for mit: 

Returned nothing

mit@aura:~$ sudo journalctl | grep ERROR
Jul 27 09:01:05 aura ntpd[983]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized
Jul 27 09:01:05 aura ntpd[983]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized

The times here coincide with the reboot after the freeze

kurotsugi Do you have a link to any instructions for installing a liquorix kernel? Always fancied trying to see if they were any noticable difference than the normal stock kernel but never found a how to

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Jul 2019 09:55

it's another brute method. you can try to reinstall power manager. sadly, I forgot which one. you can skip this part for a moment since the hints shows that it's indeed a low level stuff, either kernel or bios stuffs. if you could access the bios battery, you can start with replacing it. the last two part of the messages are telling that something is wrong with the bios. it usually solved by replacing the battery.

if that didn't work, you can install liquorix kernels. first of all, download the liquorix keys from the repo. install it manually by using dpkg. after that, add liquorix repo. you can install the kernel by usual way. the liquorix site will gives you more detailed information.

if that didn't work. you can reinstall power manager

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 28 Jul 2019 17:26

OK I have just had a system freeze, I was actually installing some software at the time of the freeze, Synaptic complained that something had unexpectedly exited (can not remember the file and can not find it listed anywhere). It was then that I noticed that there was very little cpu activity <1% (when the PC is running normally the cpu's monitors in gkrellm are all bouncing around 2%).

I tried to ssh into the PC, but was not able to get a connection, no error message returned to the laptop

Any gui window I clicked on would open then freeze and nothing else in the window was clickable.

I had a terminal window open with a couple of tabs open, one tab had htop running, but I was not able to kill any running tasks (tried to kill brave browser and xorg I could select the row ok, press F9, selected sigkill, pressed enter and nothing happened

Tried to restart the PC from the terminal with sudo shutdown -r now, it accepted the command (returned the prompt) but the PC did not shutdown and I was then unable to type anything else into the terminal

As per kurotsgui suggestion I have reinstall the power management programs for XFCE, although to be fair I do not use power management, other than turning the monitors off after X minutes and shut the computer down when I push the power button

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 28 Jul 2019 19:07

Here is a link to installing the Liquorix Kernel....Liquorix is now using the 5.2.2 kernel....

https://www.instructables.com/id/Instal ... sed-Linux/

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Jul 2019 00:24

The perf line is just information and has nothing to do with your problem AFAIK.

Did you check temperature? Depending on where you live the weather is really hard on computer equipment if its not housed in a cellar.

I can recommend liquorix but since your machine is not new I don't think it will fix anything. I followed these instructions https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=liquorix but that was for SolydX9. Now on SolydX10 you can get Liquorix like this https://liquorix.net/#install, until they stop support for buster. Then, hopefully, Steven will chime in again.
Have a look at their forums though. There are reports about failures with nVidia drivers. I don't know whether this includes noveau.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 29 Jul 2019 15:52

Thanks for all the Liquorix info, I am now running kernel 5.1.0.20 but it has done absolutely nothing for the freezing problem. The PC obviously crashed somewhere between 6:45 and 16:00 when I got home.

Heat wise I know when the PC is getting hot as the fans cut in and make a lot of noise, everytime it has happened when I have been in there were no fan noise's

Also bios update is not an option as I checked a while ago on an unrelated issue

Not running the Nvidia drivers as I think the card is no longer supported (GT730) so I am running the Nouveau drivers

I doing some other checks with program to see if a program is causing the issue, will keep you posted.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 29 Jul 2019 16:48

Double check your Liquorix settings...you should be at Liquorix 5.2.0-4.1. I noticed a big change in my computer usage moving from the 5.1 kernel to the 5.2.2 kernel. It may not make any difference in your situation, but update your system and see if it does. From my past experience...a frozen system is either cpu overheating (is dust on the cooling fins of the cpu heatsink or heatsink fan failure or heatsink fan is slowly dying and rpms are slowing down or possible failing memory). Just a shot in the dark......

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 29 Jul 2019 17:22

Just noticed that there is a 5.2.0-3.1 & 5.2.0-4.1 now available, they were not there yesterday.

My PC boots up faster with the liquroix kernel which is good but I would be happy to sort the freeze out ;)

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 31 Jul 2019 18:33

I am about at the end of the line with this PC at present, the PC was throwing up errors left right and center earlier, I went to shut the PC down to restart it (a rarity with the issues it has had) and the the system refused to shutdown, it seems the issue was first the modem manager, then it was having issues trying to unmount the swap file. After 5 minutes I pushed the button. While I understand most issue can be resolved but I am losing confidence in the PC at present.

I think I will be taking this PC off line and building another PC but funding is short so it maybe a while. I would thanks to all those that have offered advice on this forum but something is inherently wrong with the PC and to be honest I don't need that frustration at the present. I have a laptop to use but that is not running SolydXK but I will try to keep up with the with the solydxk world while I am away. It is not good bye but see you later.

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Jul 2019 23:24

I know you've given up but since problems like that sound like either bad memory or bad graphics driver I've searched for reports with debian, nouveau and that specific gt730 and found some. No solution though except that Ubuntu-based systems are said to work better because they use the proprietary driver and not nouveau (https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... s-freezing https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... ce-gt-730/). But depending on the chip your card might not be supported.

Fermi, Device PCI ID 0x0f02: https://videocardz.net/nvidia-geforce-gt-730-2/ or Kepler, Device PCI ID 0FC9: https://videocardz.net/nvidia-geforce-gt-730-gk208/ ?

nouveau is known to be shitty because it doesn't get any support from nVidia. But are you sure you are using the correct driver? The legacy one with 390, if Fermi chip. (https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172701) Sorry about being vague, I stick with AMD for a reason.
“NVIDIA’s GeForce GT 730 is available in a number of configurations. The one with 96 cores uses the older Fermi architecture, while the 384 core version uses the latest, highly efficient Maxwell one…”
Note: Fermi-based GPUs should use nvidia-390xx instead of nvidia.
Maybe grep the logs again for "nouveau".

Return to “Testing Zone”