Firefox alpha/beta/nightly versions

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
ilu

Firefox alpha/beta/nightly versions

Postby ilu » 04 Sep 2019 14:47

Does anybody know of a good way to regularly get updated firefox alpha/beta/nightly versions? I know there is a flatpak repo by fedora but I'd prefer a regular repo - something official would be best but mozilla seems to not have any update feature for linux users ... Or maybe I should try flatpak? I really hate that concept but in this case ... did anybody try?

If I tried to get it from sid or exp would that collide with the regular install from solydxk repos? I need all versions side-by-side.

Another possibility could be to use the nightly version as root in a VM and use the in-buiilt update feature. I'm just testing things but still not thrilled ...

There should be a way to script the update process too ....

grizzler

Re: Firefox alpha/beta/nightly versions

Postby grizzler » 04 Sep 2019 16:25

ilu wrote:
04 Sep 2019 14:47
If I tried to get it from sid or exp would that collide with the regular install from solydxk repos? I need all versions side-by-side.
Actually, what's in sid isn't the nightly. It's the default, non-esr version (and looking at the package tracker, I don't see the nightly in experimental either). That one is called 'firefox' and can be installed without interfering with the esr version ('firefox-esr'), as far as I'm aware.
Another possibility could be to use the nightly version as root in a VM and use the in-buiilt update feature. I'm just testing things but still not thrilled ...

There should be a way to script the update process too ....
Years ago, when I started using Linux, my distro of choice was completely useless in keeping the Mozilla apps up-to-date. So I wrote a script to download them from the Mozilla site and although strictly speaking it shouldn't be necessary on SolydXK, I still use it. In fact, it's now much more than just a Mozilla update script. It keeps track of all kinds of non-packaged tools, builds packages when new versions become available and puts them in my local repository, so I can apt-get them with the rest.
It sounds like you could use something like that. However, that would involve installing a local repository as well. A bit much...

If you trust me/my scripting skills, maybe I could see if I could add the nightly to my script set and make the package available from my local repository.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 04 Sep 2019 16:33

I need all distribution channels side by side, at least ESR (already there), regular (already there), and nightly. beta would be bonus. I need to test websites and testing things for SolydXK before they come into the regular version would be nice too.
And of course I trust your scripting, I'm using your distro :-).

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 04 Sep 2019 16:37

Right. I'll see what I can do.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 04 Sep 2019 17:14

First impression is it should be doable, but it will require a bit of work.

Question: which language version do you want? German or US English?
Frank

ilu

Postby ilu » 04 Sep 2019 22:25

English is fine and easier to use anyway.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 06 Sep 2019 19:08

Did you get the e-mail I sent you yesterday?
Frank

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Sep 2019 15:25

Yes thank you very much. I just have a very busy next week and a month ahead with ugly deadlines ...

Return to “Testing Zone”