Cannot launch fresh installed SolydK due to kernel panic

Post your bugs here.
dimitriv

Cannot launch fresh installed SolydK due to kernel panic

Postby dimitriv » 17 Feb 2017 10:02

Hi,

Yesterday I installed SolydK on my SSD hard drive in dual boot with Windows 7.
After installation I rebooted and after grub I was greeted with the following screen, which if I'm not mistaken is a kernel panic.
I could not do anything but cold reboot. That ended my experience with SolydK unfortunately, although I really liked it in a VM earlier.

Screenshot of error message taken with crappy phone attached.

Additional details:
- 120 GB SSD drive; Windows 7 partition resized to 60 GB, rest as btrfs for /
- grub installed on the MBR of sda
- no issues with Linux Mint 18.1 XFCE once installed on the same partition
- laptop is an assembled one from a UK firm, from around 2012; all hardware working well under Linux Mint and Live USB of SolydK
- happens again after cold reboot
- 64bit version of SolydK

Just thought of posting this in case somebody can use it to fix an ugly bug.

Greetings,
Dimitri
Attachments
IMG_20170216_230341s.jpg

Zill

Re: Cannot launch fresh installed SolydK due to kernel panic

Postby Zill » 17 Feb 2017 11:56

dimitriv: Firstly, let me welcome you to SolydXK forums and I trust that you will (eventually!) enjoy using this great distro. If you would like to post in the "Introduce yourself" section it will be great to hear a bit more about who you are and how you got here!

I am sorry the installation of SolydK failed and would like to thank you for posting so much helpful detail in your bug report. It is clear that you are installing SolydK but it would help if you would advise exactly which version you installed and where you downloaded the ISO from. This is because that, in addition to the main edition of SolydK (based on Debian stable), there are also community editions such as the Enthusiast Editions (EE) (based on Debian testing). While we would not expect an installation problem with the SolydK main edition, some bugs are always present in the EEs.

Finally, did you verify the ISO download as detailed here https://solydxk.com/downloads/solydk/ and does a SolydK live session boot correctly with your SolydK DVD/USB?

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Feb 2017 12:24

Schoelje, Zill, are we sure that our installer will work on btrfs? Did anybody ever test that?

Since this is debian it should install on btrfs but I've read about some special behaviour necessary for btrfs so I'm not sure the installer is prepared for that.

Edit: Actually, in my VM I can't even choose btrfs during install, which might be a limitation of VBox. I can't test this on metal atm.
What did you mean by "rest as btrfs for / "?

It might also be a grub issue. You might try downloading and executing http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net from a live system and post the result here.

Note to schoelje: This is a very useful script which we might consider hosting ourselves or including in image since sourceforge is considered unsafe by most browsers.

Zill

Postby Zill » 17 Feb 2017 15:50

I would be surprised if this issue is related to btrfs as, for many years, I used reiserfs when most of the Linux world was using ext2/ext3. I never hit any problems then that implied any incompatibility between different Linux filesystem formats.

However, times change and so it may be that btrfs is a factor to be considered now. :?

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Feb 2017 16:48

I agree about Linux in general but I'm just wondering about the installer - it doesn't even give a btrfs option to me.

solchris

Postby solchris » 19 Feb 2017 17:06

dimitriv: Has grub been installed by solydx?
If not, it could be necessary to do some changes regarding grub config.

In the past I had a system with diiferent grub entries, where grub was installed by Mint. After an update I get kernel panic when I tried to start some of the other linux systems.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 20 Feb 2017 11:48

I think he left here based on this quote:
That ended my experience with SolydK unfortunately, although I really liked it in a VM earlier.

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Feb 2017 11:54

Yeah, probably, but you know us - we can't stop ourselves from trying :ugeek:

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 21 Feb 2017 01:35

the kernel got loaded so it's not a grub issue. the problem lies somewhere between:
1. the kernel or the system configuration
2. the installer
3. the harddisk
the interesting stuff is that the system broke very early. sounds like it couldn't read the root partition.

solchris

Postby solchris » 23 Feb 2017 05:59

Here some additional information to the issue which I had with grub config in the past and which caused the same error that dimitirv reported "Kernel panic -not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

Update of grub (respectively command "update-grub") generated a grub entry for another linux system on this computer like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.1-i686 root=UUID=a06836c0-4bcd-442b-b1fd-09177f2e42c9 rw quiet
initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img

Booting this entry caused the error "Kernel panic"

The problem could be fixed by changing the grub entry to

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.1-i686 root=UUID=a06836c0-4bcd-442b-b1fd-09177f2e42c9 rw quiet
initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.1-i686.img

(By the way: It wasn't a Solydx system, but may be this information helps if someone get the same error)

Return to “Bug control”