Failure messages at boot up

Post your bugs here.
JSladek

Failure messages at boot up

Postby JSladek » 05 Jun 2017 20:37

SolydK-64: I have had a failure message at startup for a couple of years and maybe longer and finally got tired of seeing it and went about trying to resolve it. In the process, I uncovered a second failure message.

The first was "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules" and internet searching, help from 'ilu' and a bit of trial and error, I found that the error was the inclusion of the 'etc' and 'xyz' modules in the /etc/modules-load.d/netfilter.conf file. I removed those items from the list in the netfilter.conf file and the failure message no longer appeared.

With the first message gone, a second appeared - "Failed to start /etc/rc.local Compatibility" was generated because rc.local was mounting systems that had already been mounted. This was the only action being initiated by the rc.local file. My resolution was to change rc.local to "not executable". After this change, I have had no more failure messages.

The reason that I am posting this note is that while I think I have resolved my issues, I would like to know if these are reasonable approaches to the problems that shouldn't get me into trouble with this current Debian version. Or is there a better way to do it. I suspect that I would have to do the same thing for the next Debian version when it overwrites the changes that I've made when it's is installed.

Return to “Bug control”