SolydX-9 - Setting up Desktop Background

Post your bugs here.
Matt

SolydX-9 - Setting up Desktop Background

Postby Matt » 21 Jul 2017 09:24

Hello,

This version of SolydX is fantastic with its new design! Congratulations to the team! :clap:

Just one minor word, though...

I wanted to change the desktop background from within the desktop settings, but navigation to the image folder -- to any folder, btw! -- is not possible as it is grayed out.

The workaround is to open Thunar, go to the image folder and right-click an image file to set it as a desktop background. Then only, the folder is registered in desktop settings and we can manipulate images and other settings. I first thought it was a permission issue, but it seems not...

I've had a look at SolydK and all seems running smoothly in there... no problem.

Thank you,

Matt

Matt

Re: SolydX-9 - Setting up Desktop Background

Postby Matt » 22 Jul 2017 12:00

Hello again,

Well, I think I haven't been clear enough in my previous message, sorry. So, let me give you more explanations on the problem.

Actually, I have noticed that when trying to change the desktop wallpaper from within Desktop Settings, then the set of images must be located in the Pictures folder to be seen (ex.: ~/Pictures). If placed in a subfolder, then nothing appears on screen at all (ex.: if images are placed in: ~/Pictures/Wallpapers).

Also, while in Desktop Settings, if we navigate through folders > Other, then everything in there is grayed out and inaccessible.

Could some of you check this and report if the same happens on your side?

Thanks,

Matt

wildman

Postby wildman » 25 Jul 2017 01:02

To answer your question from the other thread...

Yes, I get the same thing. Menu-->Settings-->Desktop-->Folder Dropdown-->Other
Browse box appears. All entries under Name are grayed out, files and directories.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 25 Jul 2017 07:55

the desktop setting now select a directory. that's why you can't select a single file. first, you need to select the directory. after that, it will show you the content of the folder. simply click on the picture to change the background. it's a little akward, yes, I don't know why they make it like that. though, it works as intended.

my xfce setting works for any folder and subfolders but please note that I'm using the enthusiast version. there's no xfce update so both main and enthusiast version should have same xfce and _theorically_ should behave similarly.

Matt

Postby Matt » 25 Jul 2017 13:14

wildman wrote:To answer your question from the other thread...

Yes, I get the same thing. Menu-->Settings-->Desktop-->Folder Dropdown-->Other
Browse box appears. All entries under Name are grayed out, files and directories.

OK, many thanks for your reply, Wildman.

Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » 25 Jul 2017 22:23

Hi kurotsugi,

kurotsugi wrote:the desktop setting now select a directory. that's why you can't select a single file. first, you need to select the directory. after that, it will show you the content of the folder. simply click on the picture to change the background. it's a little akward, yes, I don't know why they make it like that. though, it works as intended. [...]

I understand your explanations, but all is grayed out on my side... Please see the picture attached. Looking at the picture, you'll see that it is impossible to select a directory at first place (ex. directory "Wallpapers"). In that directory, there are two sub-directories (or folders): "Nature" and "SolydX"... and they are not accessible either, we cannot see them.

The only way to have pictures listed in the Desktop Settings > Background window is to use Thunar, then navigate to the image directory of your choice, right-click a file and set it as a wallpaper. Then only, the image loads correctly as a wallpaper and, surprisingly, all the other pictures included in that same folder (or sub-directory) are also listed in there now!!! But still impossible to set any pictures from other subdirectories. The way to go is using Thunar... not very convenient.

I think there is a bug here.

Many thanks,

Matt
Attachments
image_01.jpg
image_01.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 568 times

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 26 Jul 2017 00:47

I can't replicate the issue so I can't investigate it. I'll need a help from a stable user. meanwhile, please check the permission and the user of those folders.

tek10

Postby tek10 » 26 Jul 2017 03:39

I'm using Solydx-9 and I can verify the same problem Matt is having. I have a subfolder in Pictures called Walls. When I open Desktop in Settings and try to navigate to the Walls subfolder it is grayed out. After setting an image as the desktop background using Thunar, I can then access all the images in my Walls folder using Desktop Settings.

I'm the owner of the folder with read and write access.

This is a clean install of Solydx-9 with my data files installed from backup. Simple to work around but not the behavior I saw in Solydx-8. The Walls subfolder is a copy of the one I had in the Pictures folder in Solydx-8.

Matt

Postby Matt » 26 Jul 2017 10:41

kurotsugi wrote:I can't replicate the issue so I can't investigate it. I'll need a help from a stable user. meanwhile, please check the permission and the user of those folders.

No, it is not a permission issue. I already checked on this earlier. And tek10 reported the same...

Thanks,
Matt

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 26 Jul 2017 15:42

Open Thunar as root. Copy your picture file, and paste to /user/share/backgrounds

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 26 Jul 2017 21:36

I also have the same problem as Matt. This system is SolydX_9 upgraded from 8 via Schoelje's script. It is impossible to change the wallpaper to one in a different folder by using 'Desktop Settings'.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 Jul 2017 22:09

On my fresh install the default folder is not called "pictures" but "/usr/share/backdrops" which belongs to root. I can see several images in that folder but I can't access any other image, only the default background. All content of other folders is either empty or grey, subfolders can't be accessed at all. My gut instinct tells me this has something to do with permissions.

I'm moving this into the bug control section. Just don't expect anything during holiday time, you'll have to settle with the workaround for now.

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 26 Jul 2017 23:07

Haven't tried SolydX 9 yet, but in my Debian 9 the folder is still /user/share/backgrounds. Curious that the name is different in SolydX.

TC

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 26 Jul 2017 23:21

It may be that the default "no splash image" is not set in XFCE settings. I believe when you set that to no splash image the desktop settings will no longer be grayed out.

TC

tek10

Postby tek10 » 27 Jul 2017 00:47

I believe I've figured out the way to to select a folder with the image you want to select for the background. Lets say you have two subfolders in your Pictures folder that have background images. One called Walls and one called Wallpapers.

Open Desktop Settings.
In "Folder:" select Other...
The Select a File window will open.
Highlight "Pictures" with a single mouse click.
In "Location:" will be the example subfolder locations, ie Walls/ and Wallpapers/. That's not a typo, the folders are followed by the slash. Select one with a single click. That selection is now highlighted in "Location:".
Use the Open button at the bottom of the window to select that folder and all the pictures in it are now available for preview and selection.

I have created several new folders in various locations and can navigate to images in any of them using this method. Can someone else confirm this works?

ilu

Postby ilu » 27 Jul 2017 14:04

trinidad: /user/share/backgrounds is a symbolic link to /usr/share/backdrops. And I have set "no splash screen" in the plymouth options. Or which option did you mean?

tec10: I tried to follow your description but I can't select "picures" in the select-a-file-window because it's a subfolder and subfolders are grey. I can only select my home directory. Nothing gets highlighted in "Location:"
But I could enter "pictures" in the search field and then click on it in the search results. Now the picture folder will show up because it has been sort of "activated" by that procedure. As somebody else pointed out using Thunar would do the same.

This is still a bug.

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 31 Jul 2017 14:12

Ilu
I am not using SolydX9 yet but I am assuming the root file tree is fundamentally the same as Debian9. This means that you can open Thunar as root or administrator (however the option is worded) and copy any folder or picture (jpg, png) file on the drive anywhere and paste it to /user/share/backgrounds. Once done with that the images will appear for selection in the rigth click GUI desktop background selector.

I am referring to the settings in the XFCE settings manager to be set for no splash image, not the plymouth manager.

TC

Return to “Bug control”