live installer crashes when choosing not to create partitions

Postby vacnt » 25 Feb 2018 22:33

Affected version: solydx_9_64_201801-2.iso

If I choose "No" on the screen below
partition_prompt.png
partition_prompt.png (16.74 KiB) Viewed 614 times
The installer crashes
crash.png
I had to change /usr/lib/live-installer-3/partitioning.py line 497 to add " and len(self) > 0"
ie. from

Code: Select all

if installer.setup.grub_device is None:
to

Code: Select all

if installer.setup.grub_device is None and len(self) > 0:
to fix it.

One may wonder why I don't want to create partitions, it's because it's a partition-less drive formatted with btrfs and it already contains data I need to keep.

On a separate note, could we not have this partition creation prompt if the drive already contains a file system, or move this to the non-expert mode partitioning step, in order to prevent users from accidentally erasing data by mistake?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: live installer crashes when choosing not to create partitions

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Feb 2018 07:50

Thanks, vacnt, for the feedback AND the solution! I'll implement that with the next version.

I had to look up why you would want to use a partitionless btrfs disk and found that ArchWiki did not recommend it. So, from my point of view, checking for that kind of setup to prevent a format request to the user is a "nice to have" as very few people will choose for this. However, if you feel up to it you can check out the GitHub project: https://github.com/SolydXK/live-installer-3

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

vacnt

Re: live installer crashes when choosing not to create partitions

Postby vacnt » 25 Apr 2018 20:52

I used to use FreeBSD with ZFS, the partitioning recommendation according to https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zpool is "ZFS can use individual slices or partitions, though the recommended mode of operation is to use whole disks"

Btrfs is similar to ZFS and I have no need for partitions, I use subvolumes instead, that's why I put btrfs on the raw disk. I might take a look at the installer code if I have time.

Return to “Bug control”