DDM issue with nVidia and xserver-xorg-video-intel - sample data needed!

Post your bugs here.
ilu

DDM issue with nVidia and xserver-xorg-video-intel - sample data needed!

Postby ilu » 04 Oct 2019 23:55

I recently had to install a nVidia system and had the following problem:

Vulkan support failed without apparent reason. logs and vulkan-info displays messages like "Xlib: extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0.0" " or "VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED", games complained about missing "dual tmu" support, whatever that is. I'm deliberately quoting the error messages here so that people searching can find this post.

To get full 3d graphics support (vulkan) working with open drivers, xserver-xorg-video-intel can't be installed because it causes the nVidia drivers to bug out. Deinstalling the package fixed the issue. Once vulkan works you get decent graphic power even without proprietary drivers.

ddm -i nvidia installs xserver-xorg-video-intel - I understand that bumblebee constellations need xserver-xorg-video-intel but aren't those handled separately by ddm?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: DDM issue with nVidia and xserver-xorg-video-intel

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Oct 2019 07:48

I just came to this message. A bit late.

The nvidia script is found here:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/solydxk/scripts/ddm-nvidia.sh
Cards are listed with:

lspci -nn -d 10de: | egrep -i " 3d | display | vga "
After which some logic is needed to check for your Vulcan cards. For example, I use

lspci -vnn
to check for Optimus cards.

So, to be able to fix ddm for Vulcan cards, I need the output of both these commands.

Can you get these?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Re: DDM issue with nVidia and xserver-xorg-video-intel

Postby ilu » 12 Oct 2019 19:45

Every new-ish nVidia card can run vulkan, even the optimus combinations. Problem seems to be, that in order to run intel on optimus, you need the intel drivers which in turn block vulkan for some reason. So I think the otimus diagnostics need to be fine-tuned or some user choice (3d performance vs. energy-saving?) might be needed. I know almost nothing about nVidia but I'll read up on it. I'll check next week and I'll try to get some sample output.

Is anybody here with a not too ancient nVidia card or optimus combinations? To give me some sample data please post the output of

inxi -CGz
sudo lspci -vnn | egrep -i -A 25 " 3d | display | vga "
Please modifiy the last grep command if it doesn't completely catch the graphic cards information. Since I don't have nVidia I can't test. grep -A 25 give 25 lines after the search word (-C would include the lines before too).

Return to “Bug Control”