solydx-system-settings

Post your bugs here.
linuxuser1

solydx-system-settings

Postby linuxuser1 » 20 Mar 2020 17:13

Dear Arjen, dear Solydxk team,
thanks a lot to all of you for your excellent work. Your additions to the Debian system are meaningful, straight to the point and provide some very welcome polish. The MX tweaks are well-done as well, but I prefer your way.

Here one suggestion: I have a setup with several encrypted systems on one hard disk. solydx-system-settings tries to mount all partitions of the disk upon launching, even if they do not belong to the Solydxk system. If these partitions are encrypted, it asks for all their passwords (I have different passwords for different systems). It is not only unnecessary, but also disturbing. It would be great, if it was possible to avoid mounting the partitions which do not belong to the own system and thereby avoid those messages. The same phenomenon happens with the installer. I would be very grateful for a solution.

Keep up your great work!

Best regards, linuxuser1

ilu

Re: solydx-system-settings

Postby ilu » 21 Mar 2020 16:03

Yeah I remember we had that discussion about mounting evrything previously but for some reason it was not possible to change. I can't find that old discussion.

a. Installer: The installer needs to know what exact partitions are present and also what's on them to reach sane defaults. Do you have any suggestion how to find out without mounting?

b. solydx-system-settings: Since it includes tools to encrypt partitions it also needs to know whats already there.

Maybe a user option to skip encrypted partitions would be convenient. I don't think it's possible to avoid mounting.

linuxuser1

Postby linuxuser1 » 22 Mar 2020 09:42

Thanks for the answer. If you say, previously it was not possible to change it in this case, then ok. I am just a simple user, not a programmer. I describe my observations, but have no idea, how it works technically, or if my conclusions are right. Other installers do not ask for the password(s) of all encrypted partitions upon start, only later when you want to use a particular partition for a new install (example Calamares). If other installers can do it, it means, it is in general technically possible. Only a suggestion.

ilu

Postby ilu » 22 Mar 2020 20:00

Yes that sounds plausible. I've raised the same concerns before, but I think it was too difficult with the existing code.
You see, code is usually growing kind of organically ... or to put it negatively, you have code and if you need another function you add it somewhere and then some more and then ... after some years you think this has better be redone from scratch. Well and then there's not enough time to do so and you add some more ...

Our installer still work excellent for the average user. A lot of encrypted partitions is not what the average user has. Also solydxk-system-settings is mostly only used once after install. So please understand that restructuring the code is not really high on our priority list atm.

Calamares has a completely different way of handling things and it uses another programming language. We have discussed about maybe switching to calamares but our tests where not satisfying at that point in time. But its not out of the question, so we might if the project progresses in the right direction.

linuxuser1

Postby linuxuser1 » 23 Mar 2020 12:10

Thank you. I understand, what you say about development. Concerning Calamares - from my point of view as a user Calamares works well in Debian 10 live iso. It can encrypt /root including /boot. As you mention, maybe you can keep an eye on it and reconsider it later.
Thank you for the moment.

Return to “Bug Control”