Some problems with XFCE desktop environment

Post your bugs here.
Rademes

Some problems with XFCE desktop environment

Postby Rademes » 18 Jul 2020 18:37

Good day!
I have installed SolydX 10.4 and found some problems with XFCE desktop environment. Sorry if I am wrong, but I think it would be better to report them in one topic instead of creating separate topic for each problem because they are not critical (except Nr.5 for me).
1. When I open Application menu ---> Settings, I have empty place before Icons. When I open other categories I do not have such empty place. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qL3mLr ... sp=sharing
2. When I open Connection Information, I have weird black lines as seen on screenshot. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qAnSoA ... sp=sharing
3. When I open Font settings and choose font, I have duplicated appearance names: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qQ54Ma ... sp=sharing
4. When I choose Blue Adwaita theme, because I like it more than default Orange Adwaita, I notice some colour mismatch in the main panel: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qL1GQ1 ... sp=sharing
5. Is it possible to change Desktop Icon font? Because default black font is very hardly visible especially on dark wallpapers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qj-Gze ... sp=sharing
Other Linuxes I used had white font with black fade.
In all problems, rebooting and installing latest updates did not helped.
My system: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q6wYfO ... sp=sharing

Update: Sorry, I have not read that this forum section is for questions, not bugs. Next time I will be more attentive.

ilu

Re: Some problems with XFCE desktop environment

Postby ilu » 20 Jul 2020 13:03

1. Right, me too. Looks like a sub-menu. No idea why.

2. Right, me too. No idea why. Never noticed. Probably upstream problem.

3. That's only for Liberation Mono. All others are fine. No idea why. Double installation somehow? Upstream problem?

4. Since when do we use Adwaita? I have no orange Adwaita. I thought we use Breeze. At least my systems does, but I have not installed from the latest iso. Did you change the theme Arjen? I hate Adwaita since its binary and it's difficult to modify it.
That being said, themes and styles work together. You might have to (manually) adapt the style under Windows Administration - Styles. Or it might be an issue of missing icons since blue themes are always meant for SolydK.

6. XFCE doesn't have an interface to change this but there's a solution here https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6553.
There are web standards about necessary minimum contrast and the contrast is not enough, neither for black nor white font. I think our desktop background is either too dark (for black) or too bright (for white). We should change this and stick with black font imho.

Thanks for reporting. I've moved your post so we can find it again.

Please do not use Google. You can upload screenshots in this forum, under the edit window is a tab for attachments.

Rademes

Postby Rademes » 23 Jul 2020 08:21

Thank you ilu!
I was able to fix issue Nr.5 by modifying ~/gtkrc-xfce file:
IMG_20200721_171111.jpg
With issue Nr.1 it was harder, but finally I was able to fix it by modifying /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu:
You need to remove selected orange text lines. You were right. It was non working sub-menu.
IMG_20200721_164513.jpg
This file was modified in 5 MAY 2012. Looks like very old Xfce bug...
IMG_20200721_164419.jpg
ilu wrote:
20 Jul 2020 13:03
Please do not use Google. You can upload screenshots in this forum, under the edit window is a tab for attachments.
Sorry, in other forums, administrators were pleased, that I use Google, because my attachments did not consume any space in forum server.

I still need assistance with other issues. Hope, they will be fixed.

ilu

Postby ilu » 23 Jul 2020 17:15

Thank you for digging into this. Did you check whether your fix for no. 2 works on no. 1 too ? It looks similar.

Although no. 3 - the Liberation Mono problem - might be annoying, I will not give it a high priority.

Regarding no. 4 - Adwaita - I checked that we still use breeze-x and not Adwaita. I have absolutely no idea where you got the orange Adwaita from. My fresh install doesn't have it. Anyway, we try to make everything work with the default theme (which is breeze-x) but we cannot support every theme there is. Especially not Adwaita because that's customized and practically locked up for Gnome only.
Rademes wrote:
23 Jul 2020 08:21
Sorry, in other forums, administrators were pleased, that I use Google, because my attachments did not consume any space in forum server.
Here we very much appreciate the "freedom" aspect of free software, especially I do. Hosting companies sell gigabytes nowadays, not megabytes. So no problem, as long as you try to keep them small.

Rademes

Postby Rademes » 24 Jul 2020 06:01

ilu wrote:
23 Jul 2020 17:15
Thank you for digging into this. Did you check whether your fix for no. 2 works on no. 1 too ? It looks similar.
Oh sorry, I wrote the wrong number. Modifying /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu fixes issue Nr.1! Applications menu issue.
I can not find how to fix black lines in Connection information menu.
I edited my previous post.
ilu wrote:
23 Jul 2020 17:15
I have absolutely no idea where you got the orange Adwaita from. My fresh install doesn't have it.
I have SolydX with Russian locale settings, so the interface is also translated into Russian language. I am not sure, but it might be wrong translation.

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Jul 2020 13:36

yes I was wondering why just those 3 theme names were translated. There should be Адвайта and Адвайта темная, both should be blue, no orange Адвайта. Please make a screenshot that shows the themes at the beginning of the alphabet (i.e. Breeze) and upload it here.

Edit: Breeze-X will probably not be there. I can't beliieve it! In /usr/share/themes/Breeze-X/index.theme Breeze-X calls itself Адвайта in almost all slavic/cyrillic languages. I don't dare to check what it calls itself in Thai or Arabic or chinese. Well whatever it means, it uses the same name Adwaita does. Looks like a copy-paste-accident. Or maybe an unfinshed project.

The index.theme file of Adwaita-dark is correct. The file /usr/share/themes/Breeze-Dark-X/index.theme looks mostly correct. The other themes don't seem to have that index.theme file, so it does not seem to be needed anyway.

We still don't know what caused that distorted icon but we now know that your system has to cope with several different version of Адвайта. We need to fix that. No translation is always better than a wrong translation.

As a first step you could delete the file /usr/share/themes/Breeze-X/index.theme (needs sudo). Even better, could you have a look at /usr/share/themes/Breeze-Dark-X/index.theme and add all the cyrillic (ru, uk, bg ... ) translations for the word "dark" and upload the result? It's a text file and easy to understand, /usr/share/themes/Breeze-X/index.theme has all the country codes. I can read cyrillic but it takes me a lot longer than you and that would help us to fix the translation issue. "Breeze" should not be tranlated/transcribed, right?

Just in case: if you ever wondered what theme the ZOMG-PONIES! directory belongs to, its nothing nefarious about ponies - it's an example file for theming the xfce notify daemon.

Rademes

Postby Rademes » 24 Jul 2020 16:11

ilu wrote:
24 Jul 2020 13:36
Please make a screenshot that shows the themes at the beginning of the alphabet (i.e. Breeze) and upload it here.
Themes_Russian_Locale.png
About ZOMG-PONIES, I thought, it is something related with "My Little Pony" cartoons.
I can not upload index.theme. Forum gives me error: Invalid file extension:
Update: I added .txt extension and it worked.
index.theme
index.theme.txt
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Update 2: I have made /usr/share/themes/Breeze-Dark/index.theme
index.theme2.txt
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Now looks like all Breeze themes are translated correctly. At least those, which need to be translated. Word "Breeze" does not need to be translated, because it is a name of the theme.
Looks like I can not add more than three attachments in one post. So I will make another post.

Rademes

Postby Rademes » 24 Jul 2020 17:29

Themes_Russian_Locale_2.png
Breeze theme names after editing index.theme

ilu

Postby ilu » 24 Jul 2020 17:33

Thank you for updating the translations. What do you think, shouldn't a бриз be male? So тёмний?

Now things look better. You can now choose Breeze without the X to get a blue layout. Or one of the Breeze-dark themes with or without the X. Please report back about the icon.

If you insist on using Adwaita we can't help because, as I said, Adwaita is hardwired with Gnome. But your testing already helped to fix several bugs, great!

Rademes

Postby Rademes » 25 Jul 2020 06:21

I am not sure. The word "Theme" is female in Russian language. So we have Bright Theme (which is not named as Bright) and Dark Theme. So in Russuan it is Светлая Тема and Тёмная Тема. But "Breeze" is a name of the theme. If to think about theme itself: the Theme is bright or the Theme is dark, it should be in female, but if to speak about Breeze, then you are right, it should be male. Breeze-Тёмный. In our case, we are speaking about themes, not about breeze itself as a wind but as a name of theme. So I think, word "Dark" should be translated as female. By the way, in Belarus language, it was translated as female...

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Jul 2020 16:47

ok, good point.

Rademes

Postby Rademes » 26 Jul 2020 17:17

Hello again!
Two days ago I have deleted file /usr/share/themes/Breeze-X/index.theme as ile suggested, and made translations of Breeze-Dark and Breeze-Dark-X index.theme files.
But today after update, I have noticed "Адвайта" again.... After update /usr/share/themes/Breeze-X/index.theme recovered with wrong translations.
Advajta.png
So, I have modified /usr/share/themes/Breeze-X/index.theme too:
index.theme.txt
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Also /usr/share/themes/Breeze-Dark-X/index.theme is translated incorrectly in some places. Russian translation should be Name[ru]=Breeze-Тёмная-X (word "Тёмная" should start from capital letter because in original name Breeze-Dark-X word "Dark" starts from capital letter). The same thing is in Name[uk]=Breeze-темная-X. It shoul be Name[uk]=Breeze-Темна-X. Also Name[zh_CN]=Breeze-X 暗色 is incorrect. It should be Name[zh_CN]=Breeze-X 黑暗. (at least Google Translate say so)
And finally, in /usr/share/themes/Breeze-Dark/index.theme, the Name[uk]=Breeze-Темний should be Name[uk]=Breeze-Темна (sorry, here I made bit wrong translation, Темний - male, Темна - female)

Please fix it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 Jul 2020 09:10

Thanks again.
I can change the translations for the X themes, but Breeze and Breeze-Dark themes are not SolydXK packages and should be done upstream.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 27 Jul 2020 19:04

Regarding the chinese translation: You cannot rely on google translate, definitely not with chinese (but also not with almost any other language). There's different meanings to "dark" in chinese as well as in english or other languages.

If you look at my version 1. 暗色
and your version 2. 黑暗
you can see that 暗 is part of both and it means indeed "dark". 黑 also means dark but with the connotation of "shady, illegal" whereas 色 means just "color".

So you see that 暗色 is correct. HK and TW should be the same although there might be a slightly different writing in TW (probably this: 晻色) but I'd have to hit the books to figure that out. I don't think we need to have that grade of knowledge.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Jul 2020 10:19

I have created a project for breeze-x-gtk-theme at Transifex:

https://www.transifex.com/abalfoort/bre ... dashboard/

I initially had to add each language and translation separately but now everybody can help translating.

[EDIT]
URL updated.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Bug Control”