package-kit replaced software manager / missing icons + translation

Post your bugs here.
Kazmov

package-kit replaced software manager / missing icons + translation

Postby Kazmov » 27 Aug 2020 18:01

I just cannot find it [software manager], I was welcomed by solydxk welcome screen and within that I saw something like a software manager but I cannot find it anywhere, even using terminal didn't help.
Is it deleted or the welcome screen is outdated?
New to Solydxk.

ilu

Re: Where is the software manager?

Postby ilu » 28 Aug 2020 16:57

Which system are you using? Solydx or Solydk? Please always mention.

I'm guessing X(fce) - you can use Synaptic which I recommend but since you are asking for Software Manager .. well I remember there was somethingwith that name .. but now its named "Packages" and the menu entry is not localized. Also the packages you can select don't have names, just descriptions (I'm sure Gnome people upstream know why this is better for everyone). Confusing. Actually I'm not exactly sure what happened there because I always use Synaptic.

I'd recommend to have a look at Synaptic.

Kazmov

Postby Kazmov » 29 Aug 2020 06:55

ilu wrote:
28 Aug 2020 16:57
Which system are you using? Solydx or Solydk? Please always mention.

I'm guessing X(fce) - you can use Synaptic which I recommend but since you are asking for Software Manager .. well I remember there was somethingwith that name .. but now its named "Packages" and the menu entry is not localized. Also the packages you can select don't have names, just descriptions (I'm sure Gnome people upstream know why this is better for everyone). Confusing. Actually I'm not exactly sure what happened there because I always use Synaptic.

I'd recommend to have a look at Synaptic.
Thanks for the clarification.
I use the xfce version and I've been curious to see its "software manager" like the way it has been introduced at the welcome screen.

Hence your clarification, I think that would be better to make a change to the welcome screen coming up at the first login.

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Aug 2020 10:35

You are right. But it's difficult to keep up with changes happenning elsewhere - in this case it's a component coming from Gnome developers - especially since we don't use every component ourselves. I'm not even sure what exactly changed. Definitely the icons are missing. We'll have to see whether it's possible to repair this software or whether we should just give up on it.

Its important that users report missing stuff like you did. At the moment try using Synaptic - it might look less shiny but its really good under the hood.

I'm moving this to bug control and changed the title.

Kazmov

Postby Kazmov » 29 Aug 2020 16:28

ilu wrote:
29 Aug 2020 10:35
You are right. But it's difficult to keep up with changes happenning elsewhere - in this case it's a component coming from Gnome developers - especially since we don't use every component ourselves. I'm not even sure what exactly changed. Definitely the icons are missing. We'll have to see whether it's possible to repair this software or whether we should just give up on it.

Its important that users report missing stuff like you did. At the moment try using Synaptic - it might look less shiny but its really good under the hood.

I'm moving this to bug control and changed the title.
Yeah thanks, this distro is really cool, I like that, after installing and using nearly 20 linux distros, I'm really satisfied with its stability and performance, and the fact that it is customizable for me as a newbi linux user is also worth mentioning.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: package-kit replaced software manager / missing icons + translation

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Aug 2020 17:59

I never liked gnome-packagekit very much. I have been searching for a better alternative but i haven't found one, yet.

I wouldn't mind removing gnome-packagekit from the ISO and use synaptic instead.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Aug 2020 22:02

Don't we need packagekit for the updates? I think gpk-update-viewer calls packagekit. Let's leave it alone. I think I know what happened to the icons (it seems that Gnome changed icon names) but I haven't found a fix. XFCE's dependency on Gnome will bite us in the a.. sooner or later anyway. Well, no priority.

But the text about software manager in solydxk-welcome needs to be corrected so that people don't start searching for something that's not there anymore. We should advertise Synaptic instead.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Aug 2020 08:58

You mean to replace "Packages" with "Synaptics" in the start menu's favorites section (left row with icons)?

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Aug 2020 09:13

I checked this out but you can purge gnome-packagekit* and edit the "Command for installing updates" in "Package Update Preferences Indicator" with:

Code: Select all

synaptic-pkexec --upgrade-mode
This will open Synaptic in upgrade mode when you select "Install updates" from the indicator.

Perhaps that's a better solution?

Setting is saved in: ~/.config/package-update-indicator/package-update-indicator.conf

[General]
update-command='synaptic-pkexec --upgrade-mode'
which we could save in /etc/skel by means of the solydx-system-adjustments packages.

[EDIT]
Also change ~/.config/xfce4/panel/whiskermenu-9.rc

favorites=firefox-esr.desktop,thunderbird.desktop,libreoffice-startcenter.desktop,synaptic.desktop,xfce-settings-manager.desktop,exo-terminal-emulator.desktop

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Aug 2020 12:05

Actuallay, I think I would prefer packagekit for the update because the interface is simpler. But I'll test synaptic on the next update.
You mean to replace "Packages" with "Synaptics" in the start menu's favorites section (left row with icons)?
Yes definitely. I've always done this. Synaptic is good.

And I think Kazmov got confused by the picture on the first screen of solydx-welcome which is named "Software Manager". This image is probably old - or maybe it just refers to KDE?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Aug 2020 15:32

ilu wrote:
30 Aug 2020 12:05
Actuallay, I think I would prefer packagekit for the update because the interface is simpler. But I'll test synaptic on the next update.
Yes, Synaptics is definately more complicated. Just let me know if you prefer upgrading with packagekit or with synaptics and I will update the adjustments packages.
And I think Kazmov got confused by the picture on the first screen of solydx-welcome which is named "Software Manager". This image is probably old - or maybe it just refers to KDE?
"Packages" is also a software manager. What if we write it with lower characters only: "software manager"? Then the translators don't have to change too much.

SolydXK needs you!

Kazmov

Postby Kazmov » 31 Aug 2020 07:26

ilu wrote:
30 Aug 2020 12:05
Yes definitely. I've always done this. Synaptic is good.

https://i.imgur.com/E8mASeU.png

This is what I'm talking about. In Solyd xfce, I was welcomed by this, and I looked for the "software manager" shown in the pic above, but nothing was there called a "software manager" and I was confused.

zorzi

Postby zorzi » 05 Sep 2020 15:04

I have no memories of this software manager in SolydXK (but I did not use prior versions to 9).

But this picture reminds me of LMDE software manager. Maybe it was used in previous versions of SolydXK, since SolydXK was based on LMDE for a while.

ilu

Postby ilu » 06 Sep 2020 16:17

Yep, I think so too. The picture belongs to a software that's not there anymore and needs to be changed/removed.

And I prefer updating with packagekit because its simpler.

zorzi

Postby zorzi » 07 Sep 2020 11:52

I'm used to update via packagekit or terminal.

There is no specific update manager for xfce, mate... Debian lacks an update software like Mint or ubuntu. Gnome Packagekit or Plasma Discover can do the job, but add many dependencies.

ilu

Postby ilu » 20 Sep 2020 22:31

Here's a vote for synaptic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7852

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Sep 2020 09:33

I've been using the solution I proposed here for a while now and am very pleased with it.

Shall we implement it as a permanent solution?

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 21 Sep 2020 11:34

Definitely less buggy, especially considering the upcoming server move, my testing with packagekit ran into errors, so I'd say yes

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Sep 2020 13:29

solydx-system-adjustments-10 and solydx-system-adjustments-11 are updated.

SolydXK needs you!

zorzi

Postby zorzi » 21 Sep 2020 20:09

Nice.

Return to “Bug Control”