Alsa mixer, unmuting master (SolydX)

Post your bugs here.
GNUday

Alsa mixer, unmuting master (SolydX)

Postby GNUday » 30 Mar 2014 16:19

When muting the master channel OR dragging the master slider to 0%, the headphone, front, surround, center, LFE and side channels are also muted, right clicking the speaker icon in the task bar to unmute leaves all the other channels EXCEPT the master muted, that means one has to run the Alsa mixer and unmute each and every one (including headphone) or you have no sound at all. This is the first time I've seen this behaviour.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

drc

Re: Alsa mixer, unmuting master (SolydX)

Postby drc » 30 Mar 2014 17:30

From a very limited google search of this problem (months ago), it appears that is a pulseaudio problem, and pulseaudio uses a seperate code for mute and unmute (but I could be misremembering, or just plain wrong). Rather that play around with any one of the many solutions I found, I just got rid of pulse audio (physically deleted it and all it's minions) and used ALSA exclusively (never noticed any change, except the mute/unmute, of course).

Not sure why this is a problem on SolydX, it's the only distro that I've encountered it on.

GNUday

Re: Alsa mixer, unmuting master (SolydX)

Postby GNUday » 30 Mar 2014 23:49

@drc...was wondering why both were installed by default. I did find the problem quickly but n00bs may be a different story. :geek:
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

Return to “Bug Control”