evolution-ews: password not accepted (SOLVED)

Post your bugs here.
uvchik

evolution-ews: password not accepted (SOLVED)

Postby uvchik » 06 Jun 2016 20:16

As reported at https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=821110 the password for my exchange-account is not accepted any more.

Due to dependencies the workaround from the link above doesn't work for me. Anyway I am not sure if it is save to roll back a security update.

A friend of mine is using Ubuntu 16.4 LTS and has no problems with evolution-ews and the same exchange account. Does anybody has an idea what to do. I do not want to go back to Ubuntu. I already tried a lot of config/password/seahorse removing.

I use the most actual solydx with the following mirrors:

deb http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/solydxk/repository/ solydxk import upstream main
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free

Zill

Re: evolution-ews: password not accepted

Postby Zill » 07 Jun 2016 10:19

uvchik: Thank you for reporting this bug and, as this is your first post here, I would like to welcome you to the SolydXK forums. We have a friendly community here that is very helpful but, as SolydXK is based on Debian, we are often reliant on upstream bugfixes.

Regarding Debian bug #821110, it seems to me that Debian bug #822778 and Red Hat bug #1327072 may also be related.

I suggest that it may take some time for the relevant bug fixes to work their way through the various packages involved. One simple workaround that seems to have been suggested is to rename /usr/bin/ntlm_auth and it is possible that this may help until an "official" fix is released.

However, I must advise that I do not use Evolution, evolution-ews, Exchange or Samba and so cannot test this myself.

Schoelje/grizzler: I get the impression that winbind is somehow involved in all this. I thought I should mention it as I believe winbind has been removed from SolydXK. See "SMB needs to authenticate twice"

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Jun 2016 10:54

a little correction, the proposed method is replacing /usr/bin/ntlm_auth with the one from older winbind. the original file renamed just as a precaution.

Zill

Postby Zill » 07 Jun 2016 11:06

Thanks for the clarification, kurotsugi. I don't speak Windows here so please accept my apologies! ;-)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Jun 2016 12:48

Zill wrote:Schoelje/grizzler: I get the impression that winbind is somehow involved in all this. I thought I should mention it as I believe winbind has been removed from SolydXK. See "SMB needs to authenticate twice"
No, winbind is still part of the ISO. The change was described in this post: viewtopic.php?p=55252#p55252

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Jun 2016 16:46

that case was before jessie becomes stable and I believe not related with this case (i.e. : same culprit, winbind related stuff, but the case is entirely different). we still need winbind for windows related stuff so it would be bad to remove them.

some solution would be:
a. provide an old /usr/bin/ntlm_auth from older winbind version and let user manually replace it on their system.
b. provide a hacked winbind deb file which contain file mentioned above and upload it on the repo.

the positive side: both are easy. when debian upload newer winbind, our hack will get overwritten and no trace is left.

the negative side: as the name suggest, ntlm_auth is relatd with authentification. on top of that, it was mentioned that the update was a security one. hacking ntlm_auth means that the security hole is back. perhaps we need to check whether the hack really safe or not.

@TS : please check /var/cache/apt and see whether if you have older winbind deb file in the apt cache. you can get the mentioned file from there. simply open the deb file with your favourite archiver or extract the content somewhere. else, you can try to grab it from debian archive. please be aware the risks as mentioned above.

@Zill: no need to mention it. it was really small part from me :3

uvchik

Postby uvchik » 07 Jun 2016 21:13

Thank you for your quick help. Now everything works fine again. :clap:

I took the ntlm_auth from 2:4.3.9+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.3 (24 May 2016) hoping that it fixes the bug without opening a security hole again.
Here is the part of the change log:

Code: Select all

* SECURITY REGRESSION: NTLM authentication issues (LP: #1578576)
    - debian/patches/samba-bug11912.patch: let msrpc_parse() return
      talloc'ed empty strings in libcli/auth/msrpc_parse.c.
    - debian/patches/samba-bug11914.patch: make
      ntlm_auth_generate_session_info() more complete in
      source3/utils/ntlm_auth.c.
uvchik: Thank you for reporting this bug and, as this is your first post here, I would like to welcome you to the SolydXK forums. We have a friendly community here that is very helpful but, as SolydXK is based on Debian, we are often reliant on upstream bugfixes.
Thank you for the friendly welcome. I am glad to be part of this community.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 07 Jun 2016 22:52

that was a surprise. didn't expect it will work because ubuntu is closer to debian testing and it's using different C libs. normally i thought it won't work at all.

please keep on mind that there's a risk by using this method. the security mechanism might got bypassed because ntlm_auth didn't work. it makes evolution works again but perhaps samba and other winbind related stuff will broke. if that happened you can reinstall winbind. else, you can keep this hack as temporal solution but you need to make sure to reinstall winbind when you got new evolution-ews.

the worst scenario is that if ntlm_auth really die and got bypassed it means that you're vulnerable to bigger threat. I hope it wasn't the case

uvchik

Postby uvchik » 08 Jun 2016 12:02

Do you think it is better to use the old debian version of ntlm_auth? I just couldn't find the file.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 08 Jun 2016 15:03

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it". it would be good if you could the one for debian but if you can't, just leave as it is. my earlier explanation is just a precaution so that you know the risk and could take immediate action 'just in case' something bad happened.

it sounds like nothing happened so all is good :3

uvchik

Postby uvchik » 08 Jun 2016 20:12

I will inform you, when the problem is solved by an update without the foreign file.
Thank you again :D

uvchik

Postby uvchik » 31 Oct 2016 10:36

Evolution works fine since I changed the ntlm_auth file but now I found out that it broke my MS-Office installation on wine with the following error (I just didn't use it since my changes, that's why I did not find out earlier.):

Code: Select all

ntlm_auth: error while loading shared libraries: libsys-rw.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Maybe it has something to with kurotsugi comment.

kurotsugi » 07 Jun 2016 22:52 wrote:
that was a surprise. didn't expect it will work because ubuntu is closer to debian testing and it's using different C libs. normally i thought it won't work at all.
If I use the original ntlm_auth MS-Office works and if I use an alternative ntlm_auth file the Exchange connection with evolution works.

Do you think it is possible to link wine to a different ntlm_auth file as a workaround? Shall I open a new thread even though it is somehow related to my old topic?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 31 Oct 2016 13:50

it's a dirty hack. wine is looking for certain lib which not provided in the one of ntlm_auth. hence, you can try to extract it from extract it and manually put it on the respective folder. the missing lib is libsys-rw.so.0

as precaution you might want to backup your system before hacking it.

uvchik

Postby uvchik » 01 Nov 2016 08:16

Thank you. I don't know if I really understand what to do but I will give it try. Or do you have another idea? I am already thinking about writing a script to copy the different versions of the ntlm_auth file depending on what program I do need at the moment. It is so annoying that I rely on these MS programs due to job restrictions :(

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 01 Nov 2016 08:40

that also doable but somehow I prefer extract the lib from the deb file. it's easier and only need to be done once.

uvchik

Postby uvchik » 29 Oct 2018 10:26

Sorry, for the late reply but this topic is solved. I do not know when it happened but I recently made a fresh installation and everything works out of the box (even the excess to the exchange server with evolution-ews) :D

Thank you for your help and the workaround :clap:

I cannot find a "solved" button so I just changed the title of the first post.

Return to “Bug Control”