VirtualBox mini-toolbar missing in SolydX

Post your bugs here.
JGH

VirtualBox mini-toolbar missing in SolydX

Postby JGH » 09 Dec 2017 15:21

Having recently updated to version 5.1.30 of VirtualBox, the mini-toolbar has disappeared from guests (Windows XP, 7 and 10, and Mageia 6). I'm running SolydX and am current with system updates.

Is this something anyone else has encountered?

ilu

Re: VirtualBox mini-toolbar missing in SolydX

Postby ilu » 12 Dec 2017 18:10

I don't use VBox at the moment and I don't remember anything about a mini-toolbar. I just started a VM and still don't know what you are missing - it's probably hard to explain if it is something nobody can see (anymore) ...

JGH

Postby JGH » 12 Dec 2017 22:30

The mini-toolbar is something that floats either just above, or just below, the fullscreen guest. It provides an easy way to change various settings such as the optical drive used by the guest, shared folders etc.. It can be accessed simply by moving the cursor to the top or bottom of the screen (depending on where the toolbar is set up to be). I find this useful and always set up my VBox virtual machines to have it available to me.

After upgrading VirtualBox to 5.1.30, and without making any changes to the individual VM settings, the mini-toolbar disappeared from all of the various guest VMs that I run.

I did some searches to try to determine whether this was a known problem, and whether the problem was with VirtualBox or the host OS, but I couldn't find anything conclusive or actionable - hence my question asking whether anyone else had experienced the same issue. I do run some other Linux distros, so could install VirtualBox on one of them and see whether I get the same problem.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 13 Dec 2017 07:19

The mini-toolbar can not be shown in scale mode.

You need to enable the menu bar by ticking the check box at the top far right of the menu (which is the default state):

Screenshot_20171213_081141.png

You can also right-Ctrl-Home click to show the menu in screen.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

JGH

Postby JGH » 13 Dec 2017 11:58

I have checked and rechecked the settings on all the VMs - the mini-toolbar is enabled in every case, and I'm not using scale mode. Everything had been working as expected prior to applying the VirtualBox update (to version 5.1.30). I have installed VirtualBox now on a different distro (Mint - MATE desktop), and used it to access one of the VMs (Mageia 6), and everything works there as expected. Unfortunately the version of VirtualBox provided in the Mint repositories is 5.0.40, so it hasn't helped to clarify whether the issue is with VirtualBox or SolydX. I expect I'll be prompted to update that version of VirtualBox, so hopefully the two will soon be in synch and I'll be able to confirm where the problem lies.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 13 Dec 2017 13:07

In the mean time, can't you use scale mode (I simply maximize the window) and check that you have the menu at the top?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Bug control”