Firefox (non-ESR) update annoyance

Post your bugs here.
ilu

Firefox (non-ESR) update annoyance

Postby ilu » 14 Dec 2018 19:14

I think our firefox 63 configuration needs an additional tweak to stop firefox from nagging the user about updates - which will not work anyway on a linux system. Mozilla removed any possibility to stop updating via interface or config - repositories are advised to compile it without updater.
The policy feature is really quite easy. Much simpler than making mozilla.cfg and defaults/pref/local-settings.js

If you have firefox installed in /opt/firefox

mkdir /opt/firefox/distribution/
cd /opt/firefox/distribution/

Then make a file called policies.json containing:

Code: Select all

{
    "policies": {
	"DisableAppUpdate": true
    }
}

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Firefox (non-ESR) update annoyance

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Dec 2018 19:40

I could either add that to the firefox package or to the solydxk-firefox-adjustments package.
The second option would keep firefox as provided by Mozilla.

[EDIT]
For more policies: https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templ ... /README.md

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 15 Dec 2018 17:26

I think adjustments would be best.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 15 Dec 2018 18:37

I'll check it when I have some time.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Dec 2018 15:54

I have uploaded the new firefox-solydxk-adjustments to testing.

I used policies.json to remove a lot of files in /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox.
You can check out the file here: https://github.com/SolydXK/firefox-soly ... icies.json

Tested with FF-esr (60) and FF (64).

SolydXK needs you!

Bodiro

Postby Bodiro » 17 Dec 2018 06:26

Speaking of Firefox. Any chance to get plasmazilla for Debian/ SolydK or another solution that brings plasma-file-dialogues to firefox?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Dec 2018 13:11

That question is off-topic, but to answer it: if it's not in Debian's repository and it's not needed for the good functioning of the system, I will not do anything about it.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Dec 2018 14:54

Back to topic:
I see that the bookmarks and the homepage are also changed in an existing configuration. The rest is not changed as far as I can see.

If you remove the bookmarks and change the homepage again to what it was, it stays that way. It is only changed when policies.json has changed.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Dec 2018 15:21

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 18 Dec 2018 21:37

I can't find any mention that firefox update can be stopped via distribution.ini. Let's see what mkaply answers. To my knowledge it's either policies or compile it.
I don't think any other stuff should go into policies except update-off. And as things seem to be, the policy solution is only suitable for new installations.

ilu

Postby ilu » 19 Dec 2018 16:45

Answer as expected and a bad surprise added.

In the mail you should very clearly state that the modifications are excusively made in a separate package that users might install or not. I think your license interpretation is correct but mozilla might see that differently.

In that case I'd suggest to have a look at waterfoxproject.org.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Dec 2018 16:50

ilu wrote:
19 Dec 2018 16:45
Answer as expected and a bad surprise added.

In the mail you should very clearly state that the modifications are made in a separate package that users might install or not. I think your license interpretation is correct but mozilla might see that differently.
I think the problem is that the adjustments package is pre-installed in the ISOs instead of installed by the user. I'm going to email them tomorrow.
ilu wrote:
19 Dec 2018 16:45
In that case I'd suggest to have a look at waterfoxproject.org.
What about Brave?
Announced by Brendan Eich, co-founder of the Mozilla Project, Brave is an open source browser that offers a respectable Chrome, Safari, and Firefox alternative.

Brave offers great speeds and advanced ad-tracking controls, ideal for the privacy-conscious who are also after a lightweight browser.

Available for Windows, Linux and OS X users, Brave includes HTTPS Everywhere integration, blocks cookie capture, features a decent ad-blocker, and has an active developer community which is always improving the browser.

Downsides? It's still a relatively new browser, so perhaps not as polished a product as it could be, and extension functionality is still lacking.
Quote from https://www.techworld.com/security/best ... s-3246550/

[EDIT]
Installing the Brave Browser on SolydXK 9:

Code: Select all

# Get the gnupg key
curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key add -
# Enable namespaces in the kernel
echo 'kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1' | sudo tee /etc/sysctl.d/00-local-userns.conf
sudo service procps restart
# Create the apt list file
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stretch main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser.list
# Update and install
apt update
apt install brave-browser

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 19 Dec 2018 20:10

"extension functionality is still lacking" - that's a no-go for me. And brave is based on chromium, which we already have. I'm all for offering it but it is no Firefox alternative. Where did you get that install instruction from? I'm wondering about kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone? That's switched off in debian kernels, I'm being told due to performance reasons.

I'm using Waterfox as my daily browser-for-everything for about 6 months now and I like it. The waterfox developer is a nice guy and the community reflects that (contrary to some other browser fork community I won't name). Waterfox is quite an impressive feat because he started the fork at age 16. He's a bit behind Firefox (only feature-wise) because he's struggling with keeping compatibility with old addons.
He could use some help too ... but who doesn't?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Dec 2018 09:32

I have sent Mozilla a distribution request.

Brave is not what I expected. Very buggy and as you said, missing some vital features. It's a new browser and still in development. I'll check out Waterfox when I have some time and/or if Mozilla's reaction is not what I hope for.

SolydXK needs you!

ydek

Postby ydek » 20 Dec 2018 14:55

Hello everyone, regarding Waterfox is a good browser and fast and stable.

Bodiro

Postby Bodiro » 20 Dec 2018 16:37

But Waterfox is English only, I read. I would not like to use it instead of Firefox.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 20 Dec 2018 17:26

No, there are 91 language packs included. You can change the setting in Preferences (Preferences > General > Locale Select).

The current version is 56.2.6, i.e. pre Quantum. I'm not sure how up to date it is w.r.t. security, but I would assume any issues have been dealt with (or the project would die a quick death...).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

patzy

Postby patzy » 20 Dec 2018 22:00

ilu wrote:
19 Dec 2018 20:10
....I'm using Waterfox as my daily browser-for-everything for about 6 months now and I like it. The waterfox developer is a nice guy and the community reflects that ....
I'm using waterfox for almost everything. But I can't get it to run Netflix. If I could do that, I will happily dump firefox, which seems to get more messy on each upgrade.

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Deleted User 2799

Postby Deleted User 2799 » 20 Dec 2018 22:34

Hi everyone,

Would there be a real interest for providing Waterfox side to Firefox ESR (from Debian repo) ? Both of these two browsers are very "conservative".

Though I enjoy SolydXK Firefox settings, I would not see see objection for providing a "virgin" Firefox release build instead.

Maybe this is the wiser and simpliest choice.

ilu

Postby ilu » 23 Dec 2018 15:56

Alex Kontos tries his hardest to keep Waterfox updated security-wise. But his browser is conservative, that's what a lot of people love about it. Most old addons still work. I'd love to see it in our repo.

Regarding Netflix: Give Netflix its own browser. Use whatever browser works. Get used to using this browser for Netflix and/or Prime or similar services exclusively. Do everything else on another browser that's sufficiently secured with uBlock, Noscript and/or uMatrix. One fits all is a bad idea with browsers. Separate tasks.

While we're at it: Never log in anywhere with your daily/standard browser. Use another one for logins. That way tracking is harder and no random website can spy on your stored passwords.

So yes, several (more) browsers from the repo would come in handy (although you can always use profiles, but that's harder to set up): debian serves chromium and FF ESR (and Qupziilla and Evolution), Waterfox would be a good standard and Quantum Firefox could still be there, even if completely unconfigured.

Return to “Bug Control”