Thunar freezes (solved)

Post your bugs here.
jdall

Thunar freezes (solved)

Postby jdall » 13 Feb 2019 09:29

For many many months now, Thunar has had an annoying bug where it suddenly freezes and becomes totally unresponsive. Finally, I found a pattern in the behavior, as it appears to be related to temporary files being created, then removed.

As reported elsewhere (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1679488), one way to trigger this, is as follows:

1) open a terminal window and enter : thunar ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/
2) move the thunar window so that it overlaps the terminal window (see attached "Before" screenshot)
2) click the desktop, then relocate one of the icons on the desktop
3) activate the terminal window
4) activate the thunar window, and notice how the window has a blank area where the terminal window overlapped (see attached "After" screenshot)

Some system details:

SolydX 9 with all updates per 2019-02-13 applied.

jd@curium:~$ uname -rvp
4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) unknown

jd@curium:~$ xfdesktop -V
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
This is xfdesktop version 4.12.3, running on Xfce 4.12.
Built with GTK+ 2.24.30, linked with GTK+ 2.24.31.
Build options:
Desktop Menu: enabled
Desktop Icons: enabled
Desktop File Icons: enabled

jd@curium:~$ thunar --version
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
Thunar 1.6.11 (Xfce 4.12)

Copyright (c) 2004-2015
The Thunar development team. All rights reserved.

Written by Benedikt Meurer <benny@xfce.org>.

Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.

jd@curium:~$ apt-cache policy thunar
thunar:
Installed: 1.6.11-1
Candidate: 1.6.11-1
Version table:
*** 1.6.11-1 500
500 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

According to the launchpad report, the 1.6.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 variant of thunar has been fixed with respect to this issue.

Can someone please make sure that the SolydX version is fixed as well?

Thanks.
Attachments
terminal_and_thunar.png
Before
terminal_and_frozen-thunar.png
After

ilu

Re: Thunar freezes

Postby ilu » 14 Feb 2019 00:09

You'll have to report that upstream at xfce.org. But they'll probbably know already since it's reported and fixed on launchpad. You might check that. If it's fixed we'll have the fix in SolydX10 buster.
Remember, SolydXK is based on Debian stable which means that only bugs that compromise system security will get fixed on the current stable system. Everything else has to wait for buster (or backports if somebody thinks it's worth the time).

tom44

Postby tom44 » 16 May 2019 10:28

For reference the Debian bugreport https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=867211
According to this it is fixed in Thunar 1.6.12, but it seems it was not bacported to Stretch.

I feel this bug is very serious for SolydX users, since Thunar is one of the fundamental parts of our desktop environment and it freezes all the time you have it running, if something happens in the directory opened - which happens, if you actually use it for tis purpose, i.e. file management. I think there should be already workaround for this. Why, the bug is really annoying and it lasts for months!

Obviously, one is to use different file manager - I myself use Double Commander (DC) most times, but I still have use for Thunar where its better integration into DE is important - i.e. DC does not support drag'n'drop with most of the other applications, I have few useful Thunar user actions, it is needed for setting desktop-wide file associations, etc.

So does anyone have a simple and tested workaround involving Thunar upgrade or downgrade or patched version in Stretch compatible repo please?

tom44

Postby tom44 » 16 May 2019 10:39

Here are some hints, which seem promising.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 25&start=0
If I get to testing one of them, will report back.

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 May 2019 16:44

tom44 wrote:
16 May 2019 10:28
I myself use Double Commander (DC) most times, but I still have use for Thunar where its better integration into DE is important - i.e. DC does not support drag'n'drop with most of the other applications, I have few useful Thunar user actions, it is needed for setting desktop-wide file associations, etc.
Me too. And I have never encountered any freeze in Thunar. I also don't leave it open after having completed whatever I needed it for (Thunar user action).

Stevepusser is actually a very knowledgeable guy regarding backports. You can trust his advice. Or just wait it out until buster becomes stable.

tom44

Postby tom44 » 02 Oct 2019 14:01

Just to finish the story for those stumbling on this, Thunar finally fixed itself via regular updates some time ago. [OT]: But thanks to the problems I instaled newer version (now 0.9.3 beta) of Double Commander and found it a lot better, especially that it now supports drag and drop with all other apps. I had to add a repository for that.

Return to “Bug Control”