Firefox Adjustments Package prevents Flickr Login

Post your bugs here.
j.st.

Firefox Adjustments Package prevents Flickr Login

Postby j.st. » 02 Mar 2019 20:18

Hello,

I suddenly couldn't login to flickr with Firefox anymore and suspected a bug in the former Yahoo login.
Then I tried the Konquerer and everything worked. I uninstalled the Firefox Solydxk Adjustments package and everything worked again.
I then reinstalled the package and renamed the "distribution.ini" and it still works.
I don't know where the error is, but it seems to be in the file "distribution.ini".
I am using SolydK Testing.

Many greetings
Jens
Linux user since 1998 -> Suse -> Kubuntu -> Linux Mint KDE and now SolydK

ilu

Re: Firefox Adjustments Package prevents Flickr Login

Postby ilu » 03 Mar 2019 14:03

Have a look at the settings in the renamed distribution.ini. It contains some settings recommended by Mozilla to protect your privacy.

Flickr might not like one of those settings because it wants to invade your privacy. Since I don't have flickr I can't check which setting it is. It would help if you could modify distribution.ini and try different settings so we know which one it is.

But on the other hand I think it is necessary to draw a line. Our default browser should be configured in a way that protects our users as far as possible even if that means that one or two of those data-sucking websites stop working. It's always possible to use chromium or konquerer or another browser for that purpose. That's the better solution anyway. I would recommend to reinstate distribution.ini and continue to use konqueror - think of it as a dedicated Flickr app. It's better for your safety and privacy.

j.st.

Postby j.st. » 03 Mar 2019 15:30

ilu wrote:
03 Mar 2019 14:03
Have a look at the settings in the renamed distribution.ini. It contains some settings recommended by Mozilla to protect your privacy.

Flickr might not like one of those settings because it wants to invade your privacy. Since I don't have flickr I can't check which setting it is. It would help if you could modify distribution.ini and try different settings so we know which one it is.

But on the other hand I think it is necessary to draw a line. Our default browser should be configured in a way that protects our users as far as possible even if that means that one or two of those data-sucking websites stop working. It's always possible to use chromium or konquerer or another browser for that purpose. That's the better solution anyway. I would recommend to reinstate distribution.ini and continue to use konqueror - think of it as a dedicated Flickr app. It's better for your safety and privacy.
It's a little bit confusing. I took a look at distribution.ini and couldn't find any settings that I thought were problematic (just like ilu says). I'm certainly not an expert, but from my point of view the settings are ok, so I renamed the file back to its original name and see how it still works.
Don't understand that, but at the moment everything is ok.

j.st.

Postby j.st. » 17 Mar 2019 14:22

I found the entries in distribution.ini that prevent me from logging in to Flickr.
They are the entries under the item "Send limited Referer header".
I don't know exactly what this means, I asked Google and the factory default is obviously 0, the preset 2 doesn't work, if I specify 1 I can login.

Jens

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Mar 2019 14:36

As a resource, you can check this URL on privacy for FF:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Privacy/Privac ... acy_tweeks

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Mar 2019 17:47

The referer tells the website which site you visited before and what you did there, broadly speaking. That's why it's a privacy issue. It might not be a problem on flickr if you come from another flickr site (they can see that anyway) but it's widely used in the whole internet as an easy tracking technique.
It could help if you start out directly with the login page so there wouldn't be a referer in any case. Or, as I said, use another browser.

Return to “Bug Control”