Waterfox source

Post your bugs here.
ilu

Waterfox source

Postby ilu » 09 Jun 2019 08:23

We might need to offer waterfox source to comply with MPL because the link-to-source in about:buildconfig is missing. But I'll report this to waterfox first. I guess it's a mistake.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Waterfox source

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Jun 2019 17:41

I think it's because of the way I download the source and build the packages.
Firefox is done the same way and it also doesn't provide the source.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 10 Jun 2019 22:15

Your non-ESR Firefox links to source under about:buildconfig. Waterfox doesn't. So maybe something with your waterfox build went wrong.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 11 Jun 2019 03:53

Ah, that! I didn't understand what you meant.

I don't change anything about the source. I only package, nothing more.
So, if something is missing that should be there I cannot do anything about it. I would be changing the source.

If I legally have to comply, the only thing I could do is to remove the package from our repository.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 11 Jun 2019 13:56

No, since we cleared that up I'm going to discuss this with Alex. It's his problem mainly, because he too has to comply. I've downloaded his tar file and the info is missing on his buildconfig page too. I'm sure it's a bug.

In any case, you don't need to take down the package. You'll just need to supply the source you used for the build in our repo. Just upload the tarball and you're done.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Jun 2019 01:33

I've never heard that if someone create a package he's obliged to upload the source code. this responsibility usually fall to the one who modified the source code. I think ilu is right about it

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Jun 2019 11:23

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/FAQ/ Q7 and sec. 3.2 of the MPL: If you distribute, altered or unaltered, you need to provide the source or link to it. Since the link is missing, you need to provide the source. Upload the source into the repo like debian does and the issue is fixed.
I've opened a waterfox issue here: https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/issues/1021

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Jun 2019 13:38

I've also tried to build Firefox and Waterfox and include a source file.

Unfortunately, that wasn't simple at all and I've posted a question on stackoverflow for that.

It's not as simple as uploading the orignal source file to our repository. That will be refused because it is missing a .dsc file with the information that is needed to upload a source file.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Jun 2019 15:15

Aren't .so files binaries? Why would they need to be in a source package?

No idea if that helps - a debian guy tells me: "I actually looked at packaging Waterfox -- the upstream tarball has precompiled stuff; there's a github repo but upstream doesn't seem to share whatever his build system is."

If it doesn't work out easily I think we can wait for Alex to react on my bug report. He doesn't seem to be overly concerned with the legal stuff - no wonder, since he's working alone on the project and probably really busy to debug the new version 68. Nobody is going to behead us in the meantime.

ilu

Postby ilu » 15 Jun 2019 15:59

I'm told there is a channel #packaging available on irc.oftc.net for help which is available for debian derivatives. Just in case.

Return to “Bug Control”