Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
dcipher

Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share

Postby dcipher » 29 Jan 2017 01:26

Hi

Something has happened in a Windows 10 or SolydXK update because until this week I was able to access a Samba Share on my Linux Workstation from Windows 10 Pro. However, this week I just get error 0x80004005 in the Windows Explorer when I try to access the share. In fact it says it cannot find the workstation. I do not know where to look for what changed.

Simon

MAYBL8

Re: Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share

Postby MAYBL8 » 29 Jan 2017 13:40

I have a samba share and use Windows 10. I can get to my share.
I don't have your problem.
I would recheck your smb.conf file and make sure the settings in it are correct.
Here is mine for my shares:

Code: Select all

[servermusic]
    browsable = yes
    read only = no
    path = /home/dcihon/mnt/Music
    valid users = dcihon
    creat mask = 0700

[allfiles]
    browsable = yes
    read only = no
    path = /home/dcihon

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 29 Jan 2017 16:15

This is a kind of cover all error code, i/e can occur for several reasons. Since your issue is with Samba it may be that you are not logged in as an administrator, however some settings do not transfer with updates that are loaded while logged as a local user. First check to see if you have any hanging updates, and if so complete them. If there are no hanging updates you may have to uninstall a recent one one, and reinstall it while logged in as an administrator. If you use a local user a lot you should set updates to download only and ask to install, and then install them as an administrator. Samba settings, and some network settings are tied to local user in some cases, and so will have to be reset if updates are installed as a local user as windows defers to default settings when updating from a local user account. You should give openSSH for Windows a try. Works very well for SFTP Windows to Linux cross platform, and authentication issues are not affected by updates.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

ilu

Postby ilu » 29 Jan 2017 18:54

There were also debian updates of the samba libraries and of winbind recently. Maybe something about them broke your config. I have not encountered any problems but I don't use Win 10.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Jan 2017 12:56

This thread on the debian-user mailing list may be relevant: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00958.html
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

dcipher

Fixed: Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share

Postby dcipher » 30 Jan 2017 14:11

Thank-you for the link about the over written smb.config file. Once I replaced the smb.config file with the original everything started working again.

Simon

dcipher

Postby dcipher » 27 Feb 2017 21:50

Hi

The problem has returned but this time the smb.config file has not been overwritten and the Firewall is turned off so I am not sure what is refusing the connection. I was able to use the share on Friday as well as Remote Desktop into the server. However today I cannot do either.

Thanks,
Simon

dcipher

Postby dcipher » 28 Feb 2017 14:26

This is really strange because today everything is working. I can RDP into the linux workstation and use the share. Yesterday I rebooted the linux workstation and still nothing worked. Today I turned on the Linux workstation and everything worked again. The only update on the linux workstation was the update from Update Manager 3.06 to vs 3.07 but that made no difference yesterday. No updates have been done on the Windows workstation so I do not understand how everything suddenly is back to normal.

Simon

Return to “Networking”