How to allow specific connection on GUFW

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
ilu

How to allow specific connection on GUFW

Postby ilu » 06 Oct 2017 13:12

I'm getting this in the log:

Code: Select all

[UFW BLOCK] IN=eth1 OUT= MAC=xxx SRC=192.168.1.xxx DST=192.168.1.xxx LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=28260 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=4292 DPT=14013 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

This is my router trying to talk to my machine on my home network, which I'm inclined to allow, although I don't understand why both ports are high. Any idea what kind of traffic that is and why it's forbidden? This is a SolydX standard install but I've added the preconfigured rule for ssh in GUFW.

ron_widell

Re: How to allow specific connection on GUFW

Postby ron_widell » 16 Nov 2017 23:53

ilu wrote on 06 Oct 2017 07:12 :
This is my router trying to talk to my machine on my home network, which I'm inclined to allow,

Why would you inclined to allow it?

I'm assuming that you have multiple machines on your local subnet. The routing function of your gateway/router is only used for traffic going into or out of your local subnet, so traffic coming from your router is by definition, coming from and initiated by an external source.

A possible exception might be if your router is set up to be an NNTP server that does push notifications, not a common configuration.

For a more complete explanation of what I'm talking about, read the Wikipedia page on ARP (address resolution protocol).
[urlb=]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol[/urlb]

ron

Return to “Networking”