Hacked in May 31 2018

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
Redraw

Hacked in May 31 2018

Postby Redraw » 06 Oct 2018 03:25

Hacked in May 31 2018 now first week in October 2018
yes it took that long to get an email notice from Firefox got the email a few days ago
Six months have passed since the hack ( thanks for the speedy notification ( sarcasm)) and in that time no ill effects that I know of any , I'm just wondering is there a way to beef up UFW mine is just running on default setting since I'm not good at knowing what if any changes are needed to give it more power or do I need a change firewall

I'll ask for advice

and since I will be upgrading the desktop box soon before Christmas I reckon that's when it will be new everything including Avatar Paswords etc and around here thats about the time home and yard fix-it work will be done so I will have much more time then and go to distrowatch etc , and get back into collecting more music again and doing artwork

I always get the updates first reboot and then crank up FireFox

Now because of this I thought that an extra thing I could do that would be before going online disconnect the external harddrives and only have the solid state drive connected the only thing on the ssd is the SolydK OS and all the software not much data in that ( I hope ) because everything else is on the harddrives one music the other paperwork bills Wallpapers etc Unless the can read copy steal while I'm OFFline and then retreive that data when I do go ONline and if they can do that well that that is just just blah .

So any hints ideas about this will be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Redraw
Attachments
Screenshot_20181006_115953.png
Screenshot_20181006_115953.png (91.15 KiB) Viewed 754 times

ilu

Re: Hacked in May 31 2018

Postby ilu » 06 Oct 2018 04:10

Firefox has absolutely nothing to with this. Also your computer has absolutely nothing to do with this. Neither Firefox nor your computer got hacked.

A company named Ticketfly got hacked in May 18. Here is their customer support information https://support.ticketfly.com/s/article/41507. It seems that you were a customer of Ticketfly, so your Ticketfly account was compromised and the data Ticketfly has about you was "stolen".

The only thing that changed NOW is that Firefox started to use a database called "Have I been Pwned" which collects security breach information and which hands out that information if you ask them. You never asked them, but now Firefox asked them for you. And informed you. (Which Ticketfly never did, or so it seems.)

There is absolutely no need to panic. Close your account with Ticketfly, look for another, more diligent company to book your travels (?) - you'll have a hard time to find one. Breaches like this one happen in the industry again and again - just about a week ago Facebook had a "security incident" and data from 50 million Facebook accounts was "stolen".

What to do now: If you used the Ticketfly password somewhere else, change your password - while you're at it, change all your online passwords - doing that once in a while can never hurt. It seems that no credit card data got out, so no problem there. But it can never hurt to have a tight control of your bank accounts. No need to change anything about your hardware, certainly no need to disconnect harddisks.

So to repeat, your computer was NOT involved in this. But Ticketfly should ramp up their firewall (they claim they did).

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 07 Oct 2018 00:17

Thanks Ilu
not panicing just untrusting of people who can and then do really bad things to other people from hacking and stealing personal data but good to know that do not affect my desktop box or Firefox only Ticketfly only problem is I never heard of or ever used Ticketfly looked into the site the about us at Ticketfly nop never used and never used any of their services there is no panic have no account with them they are in North America not in my area I'm Down Under .
I don't do overseas I do roadtrips Australia is Huge plenty to see and plenty to do also and I don't book anything in advance that adds an extra element called surprise hehehe .

Ilu thanks for taking the time to reply and for the link .
Redraw

edit . Nearly forgot so UFW is good the way it is and no need to beef up anything if it can could be ?

ilu

Postby ilu » 07 Oct 2018 07:31

Redraw wrote:
07 Oct 2018 00:17
Ticketfly only problem is I never heard of or ever used Ticketfly
I can't really comment on this. But from their info text about the breach: They have resellers. It looks like they provide a ticketing system for others. But just a guess, really.
Redraw wrote:
07 Oct 2018 00:17
edit . Nearly forgot so UFW is good the way it is and no need to beef up anything if it can could be ?
You are connected to the internet mainly via 2 points: Web sites and email --> browser and email programm. That's the main 2 areas you have to care about. UFW doesn't help you because browser and email need to be allowed to work.

• Set thunderbird to display only text email. Ignore html formatted emails. Do others a courtesy and never send html formatted email.
  • Be alert about phishing.
  • uBlock origin is already installed in Firefox by SolydXK, don't deactivate it no matter what websites tell you. If you use another browser, install uBlock origin.
  • Use a dedicated browser or browser profile for important logins. Never use that browser (profile) for anything else.
  • If you visit "shady" areas of the internet use another dedicated browser profile only for that task.
  • Avoid anything that sounds to good to be true. Use your brain.
  • Install system updates regularly.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 07 Oct 2018 22:27

Thanks Ilu
Emails yep got that sorted
All phishing and junk goes in trash unopened
If I don't know 100% for sure who it's from bam in the bin
uBlock origin always on have been asked but I wont switch it off
must get another browser keep forgeting will do that after this
Don't need or want to visit "shady sites "
if it sounds to good to be true it will be ( always )
System Updates get done as soon as available and before any thing else online
Seems as thought I got all the above right except browser
Thanks for taking time out to answering this
Have A Good Week Ilu
Redraw

Return to “Networking”