Inability to Connect to High Speed Broadband.

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
mhwelsh

Inability to Connect to High Speed Broadband.

Postby mhwelsh » 10 May 2019 14:31

I have a three year? old HP laptop with an AMD processor.
SolydX and Solydk 9 are installed and are reasonably up to date.
When I bought the laptop and loaded it up with Solydxk the wifi found itself and I merely had to label it.
My broadband is known to work with visiting computers.

I live in rural Scotland where real broadband is a dream.

I went to my pal's house to download a 5G file on his highspeed broadband.
He is a British Telecom Customer(Open Reach) and he uses a British Telecom router to distribute wifi.

My HP laptop could not even find a sniff of his wifi yet it was happily feeding his shiny Apple Desk top.

Any ideas? Do I need special drivers for BT Openreach broadband?

martin welsh

ilu

Re: Inability to Connect to High Speed Broadband.

Postby ilu » 10 May 2019 17:10

I have no idea what Openreach is and what technology they use but I don't think it matters anyway. Copper or fibre end in his router and the router is generating the wifi signal, right? You'll have to check what WiFi standard his router uses and whether your hp hardware supports it. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Protocol. The letters at the end matter, I think its usually g or n.

Or his router hides the network ID - in that case you also can't see it. Hiding the ID was recommended some years back for "security" but as we all know there is no security through obscurity ...

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 11 May 2019 07:25

ilu wrote:
10 May 2019 17:10
I have no idea what Openreach is and what technology they use but I don't think it matters anyway. <snip>.
Openreach are one of the UK largest providers of broadband to residential and commercial properties either as a direct ISP or backbone provider for a third party ISP's

mhwelsh

Couple of things to check, does your friend hide the ssid on his wifi, does he lock wifi connection to only known mac addresses (mac address filtering)? Was your mobile phone able to see your friend wifi, if not then it is possible that one of the above is being used or something else similar to hide wifi to help keep intruders at bay

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 12 May 2019 08:08

Thank you both for your replies.
OpenReach is the creator and inheritor of the copper network and local fibre distribution and usually they are the people who actually maintain and fix broadband services. My isp, Plus.Net, is my interface but it is an OpenReach man that comes to fix it when it stops working.

I was not aware that wifi could be hidden.
Going back with me smartphone, which auto connects to my router I was unable to see his router.
One noticeable effects that was observed originally was that were no icons visible to indicate that firmware was in place so there were not many clues about how to find it.

The smartphone has a network heading under the systems caption and this accepts the ssid - 'hey presto' it worked.

What would be the equivalent action with Solydxk?

Thank you both for your tolerance,

martin welsh

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 May 2019 20:09

In SolydX you right-click on the network applet on the panel (network manager) and choose "Edit connections", then "Add" and then follow the prompts. You'll get to an interface where you can enter all info.

Return to “Networking”