Mobile Broadband

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
jcris

Mobile Broadband

Postby jcris » 24 Aug 2013 12:18

In your newest ISO of SolydX, downloaded on 8-24-13, it is missing modemmanager and usbmodswitch. In order to use a mobilebroadband USB modem they have to be installed. For people who live in rural parts of the world, and can only connect VIA mobilebroadband this is a problem.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Mobile Broadband

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Aug 2013 13:15

jcris wrote:In your newest ISO of SolydX, downloaded on 8-24-13, it is missing modemmanager and usbmodswitch. In order to use a mobilebroadband USB modem they have to be installed. For people who live in rural parts of the world, and can only connect VIA mobilebroadband this is a problem.
Hi jcris, and welcome to our forum!

Thanks for letting me know that.
I saw that SolydK had those packages, but not SolydX.
Consider them added for the next iso.

Could you get SolydX to work, or do you need a new iso with modemmanager, and usb-modeswitch installed?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

jcris

Postby jcris » 24 Aug 2013 15:55

Oh no sorry I got it, I used a laptop with a net connection to install the needed files. I just wanted to let ya know they were missing. Thanks very much.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Aug 2013 16:07

jcris wrote:Oh no sorry I got it, I used a laptop with a net connection to install the needed files. I just wanted to let ya know they were missing. Thanks very much.
No, thank you!
I hope you enjoy SolydX.

SolydXK needs you!

jcris

Postby jcris » 24 Aug 2013 22:29

I found one other small networking item missing when I went to set up a pptp VPN the item network-manager-pptp-gnome was not installed by default. Most all of the distros (debian based) that ive used have had that by default. Alot of em forgo the network-manager-openvpn-gnome, but usually have the pptp by default. Without that installed when a user goes to set up a vpn, when they click configure vpn no options will be in the drop down for a vpn at all. To a regular user of linux thats not a problem to install but someone coming off say Ubuntu or Linux Mint might be stumped by that missing out of the box.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Aug 2013 06:41

In my attempt in keeping SolydX as "clean" as possible, I obviously have left out things that I shouldn't have :oops:
Thanks again, I just added the package to the iso's.

SolydXK needs you!

jcris

Postby jcris » 25 Aug 2013 10:38

As far as I can see its damn near perfect, just such a wide range of networking options, its hard to hit all the bases. I am sure there's even people out there on dial up still. But yeah I have spread the word around to a few Mint users I know that love Xfce but want to move off the Ubuntu base. I think this is a perfect choice and sooooooooooo much faster, and lighter. I know this sounds stupid, but some people are sold by how a distro looks at first boot up, and I think you nailed that part of it spot on. It is such a nice change from the Mint dull grey, and the Xubuntu harsh blue. Even I got that subliminal wow this is bad ass feeling when it booted. :))

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Aug 2013 11:39

:lol: Thanks for the compliment!

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Networking”