Thunar crash when NFS share is down

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
Tuna130

Thunar crash when NFS share is down

Postby Tuna130 » 08 Sep 2013 15:22

Thunar crashes when my NAS with NFS shares is down. It refuses to show the local home folder. Is there a way to "give up" when the network share is not found, and continue working on the local machine? Perhaps something can be done with a script, but that would be over my head.. Many thanks!

PS My shares are mounted in fstab to folders within my home folder. Instead of mounted to /media/mynetworkshare, they are mounted to /home/me/My_Documents , could that be causing trouble? It is the only thing that occurs to me...
try SCE to AUX

toothandnail

Re: Thunar crash when NFS share is down

Postby toothandnail » 08 Sep 2013 17:54

Tuna130 wrote:Thunar crashes when my NAS with NFS shares is down. It refuses to show the local home folder. Is there a way to "give up" when the network share is not found, and continue working on the local machine? Perhaps something can be done with a script, but that would be over my head.. Many thanks!
There is a bug reported on this, though it looks as though it is assumed to be resolved:

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6185

It might be worth getting yourself an account on the Xfce bugzilla and repoening it. I think it might be due to recent changes in NFS or some of the support utitlities - I've been having shutdown failures if NFS shares are still mounted in Arch for a while, and recently started having them in SolydX as well.
PS My shares are mounted in fstab to folders within my home folder. Instead of mounted to /media/mynetworkshare, they are mounted to /home/me/My_Documents , could that be causing trouble? It is the only thing that occurs to me...
I don't mount NFS shares in fstab, but use a script to mount them:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sudo mount -t nfs openwrt:/mnt/sda2/stor /mnt/icy -o vers=3
I was forcing NFS version 3 because recently mounting NFS version 4 became very slow. I've fixed that problem, so can now remove the "-o vers=3" stuff.

I am still having problems with the laptop shutting down if the shares are still mounted, so have to remember to unmount them before shutting down. I've got another script for that as well:

#!/bin/bash
sudo umount /mnt/icy
Paul.

toothandnail

Postby toothandnail » 08 Sep 2013 17:55

Sorry, lousy work network glitched and my message got posted twice....

Paul.

Tuna130

Postby Tuna130 » 10 Sep 2013 15:54

Yes, I agree, this is probably not an issue of the file manager nor the desktop environment. At shutdown it sometimes happens here also, with both Solydx and LMDE, such that it won't shutdown or only with a long delay. Your scripting is interesting. I would like to make something that keeps polling the NAS, and unmount when the NFS share is down. Also, when the NAS is down the terminal emulator hangs on

sudo mount --all
. This picks up from fstab.
try SCE to AUX

toothandnail

Postby toothandnail » 11 Sep 2013 19:57

One option you might try is to use the "soft" option in your fstab. I've always been reluctant to use it, since it can lead to data corruption.

Its been suggested that using TCP instead of UDP for NFS helps mitigate data corruption problems when using a soft mount, so that combination might be worth trying.

Paul.

Tuna130

Postby Tuna130 » 30 Oct 2013 22:21

I am also reluctant to use this 'soft' option, since I my main working files live on the nas server. I have also tried the option 'timeo=14,intr' but it doesn't seem to do much. Luckily nas is rarely down, and I just might have to hard boot my desktop occasionally.

Return to “Networking”