Network Manager has no connections but my network works?

Questions about networking.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -FNzxx
xendistar

Network Manager has no connections but my network works?

Postby xendistar » 10 Jun 2014 22:03

I can access my other PC's and the internet with out a problem??

If I right click the network icon in the system tray I get a small menu come up, I if click on "Connection Information" I get an error message saying that there is are no valid connections.

If I right click the network icon and select "Edit Connection" I get the Network connection window pop up but there are no connections listed.

I get the same result if I click on Network Connections on the whicker menu

If I bring up a terminal window and do a ifconfig I can see my network connection is listed as eth0 and has all the relevant information you would expect.

So what is wrong with Network Manager, is something screwed up on my install, is it a known bug??

Tim

Zill

Re: Network Manager has no connections but my network works?

Postby Zill » 10 Jun 2014 22:19

xendistar: I believe this is because Network Manager is not necessary for a simple wired ethernet connection as this connection is established by the following entries in file /etc/network/interfaces:

Code: Select all

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Of course, if you wish to use wireless as well as ethernet then Network Manager will help simplify the wifi configuration.

p.s. If you do want Network Manager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces then set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and restart NetworkManager.

See Debian Wiki entry NetworkManager for more details.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 11 Jun 2014 17:58

check whether if you have another tool to manage wired connection. there are lots of tool to manage wired connection and you might used it for your wired connection.

disciple1964

Resolve NetworkManager has no connections but my network wo

Postby disciple1964 » 30 Jul 2014 18:23

Hello,

This may have been solved, but I had the same issue, I edited the interfaces file and instead of eth0, I put what my connection was eth1 and then rebooted. Now I have the network manager showing connected to my network and even shows the ip's which before it wouldn't do.

Simple solution, at least for me. I suspect it would work also for wi-fi

Hope this helps

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

lebowsky

Postby lebowsky » 03 Sep 2014 15:27

@zill

thank you, worked for me :-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 03 Sep 2014 15:43

xendistar wrote:So what is wrong with Network Manager, is something screwed up on my install, is it a known bug??
That's not a bug, that's a feature! :D

See this thread:

http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?p=40653#p40653

Hope it may shed some light... ;)

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 03 Sep 2014 17:02

I had the same thing happen to me when I was testing OpenSuse Factory Xfce. Network manager says you are not connected, but you really are connected. If that is a feature they can keep it. What is the point of having an icon that lies to you?
What is next, a clock that shows random times, an update icon that shows 43 updates, but when you click on it it says no updates are available. Heck, this might be fun, I can think of lots of new "features".

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 03 Sep 2014 17:53

jsalpha2 wrote:I had the same thing happen to me when I was testing OpenSuse Factory Xfce. Network manager says you are not connected, but you really are connected.
Yeah, it is confusing.

From the Wiki:
Wired Networks are Unmanaged

As of Debian 6.0 "Squeeze", NetworkManager does not manage any interface defined in /etc/network/interfaces by default.
The first thing it does during install is to set up that unmanaged wired connection for downloading stuff during install. After that it just remains...

No problem here, because I just use that wired connection after install. It's funny, I kind of got used to having that always-there connection, and if for some reason things go screwy and it isn't there during install, or if I get stuck in the CLI during an upgrade and find it absent for some reason I kind of stumble around and go bonkers without it, until I can get it restored.. :lol:

But some folks depend on wireless only, or a combination thereof, and so that whole thing is just confusing to begin with. I gave up trying to set up Debian to work with a static IP, never could make it happen (never applied myself sufficiently; I know from reading that it can be done). Instead I use the router to reserve a static IP. Another todo list item... ;)

Zill

Postby Zill » 03 Sep 2014 19:15

Linux systems have connected via ethernet with settings in the /etc/networking/interfaces file since Noah was a boy! The newcomer NetworkManager appeared much later, primarily with the intention of making WiFi connections easier but, by default, the original interfaces file still takes priority with ethernet connections.

However, tweaking the NM configuration to control the status of an ethernet connection is possible by setting "managed=true" as described earlier.

Regarding ethernet static IPs, I personally don't use NM but simply replace the dynamic IP settings with static settings in /etc/networking/interfaces. For example...

# iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.7
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

auto eth0

Snap

Postby Snap » 03 Sep 2014 22:25

Same here. Also in KDE the current applet doesn't behave very good. It's better to revert to the former one or just leave you network unmanaged as default.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 04 Sep 2014 05:28

Zill wrote:the original interfaces file still takes priority with ethernet connections.

Regarding ethernet static IPs, I personally don't use NM but simply replace the dynamic IP settings with static settings in /etc/networking/interfaces. For example...

# iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.7
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

auto eth0
This is the method I used when attempting to define a static IP. I also set "managed" back to "false" in NetworkManager.conf, reversing an earlier attempt to control things using NM. (I really wonder if I should just dispense with NM. Configuring Noah's way seems much more straightforward to an old fart like me ;) )... Anyhow, I was still unable to connect using a static IP. I had tracked the problem to a DNS issue, but then got pressed for time, and went back to DHCP and reserved an address using the router. I need to get down to biz and fix this. Further reading of the Wiki indicates I may have had a problem with resolv.conf, but didn't take the time to deal with it... I was busy doin' this and signin' that, in the immortal words of Mick Jagger... 8-) :mrgreen:

Zill

Postby Zill » 04 Sep 2014 10:42

fleabus: I generally use static IPs for my computers with the exception of a netbook which I use NM with to configure a DHCP connection to allow use away from home.

In the case of my home computers, connected by ethernet, I have my /etc/network/interfaces configured for (different!) static IPs as demonstrated above. My router address is 192.168.0.1 hence the "gateway" setting.

My DNS IPs are configured within my router setup. These are actually my ISP DNS addresses and so are automatically set when I first connect to the ISP but these can be changed manually if required.

On this basis, all I need for Domain Name resolution is to point to the router with the following line in my /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.0.1
These settings allow all my LAN PCs to each have a static IP and connect to the internet via the DNS settings defined in my router. Of course, DNS is independent of static/dynamic LAN addresses and so my DNS configuration works equally well with any DHCP connections.

If this doesn't work for you then please post the full output of the following two commands...

cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/resolv.conf
p.s. Personally, I am not a fan of NetworkManager and so limit its use to my netbook as mentioned above. I generally remove NM and replace it with Wicd, which seems to provide more reliable network management IMHO, including WiFi capability. However, neither NM nor Wicd are necessary for a pure ethernet connection as /etc/network/interfaces performs this function efficiently without any GUI toys!

One advantage of Wicd over NM is that it starts on boot, rather than login, which is very useful if you leave PCs on 24/7 and need connections to stay up continuously for server or backup purposes.

wildman

Postby wildman » 04 Sep 2014 18:19

Take a look at this thread and read the reply from Snap.

http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4538
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

Snap

Postby Snap » 04 Sep 2014 19:15

That's a way to get them managed. But once a network manager gets in the way it may become cumbersome and hard to deal with. The unmanaged network just works given the network manager remains unconfigured and not started. If it's running and happens to be unconfigured you won't be able to connect your network.

I'm switching my habits. Like Zill, I'm starting to keep network managers off my systems and just relying on the config files. I prefer to edit them manually and having everything steady and working.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Return to “Networking”